The Old Guys would laugh at us now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Old Guys would laugh at us now

This old blind has been in place since I started hunting the property as a young boy 30 years ago. Have never known anyone to hunt out of this blind or set up a corn feeder near its location. It is a small 40-50 acre of the lease that gets zero pressure. It runs a long a creek bottom filled with some of the biggest oak trees the Texas Hill Country has to offer. It's floor is usually covered with acorns and deer pile up and hide out until they are gone. I took up bow hunting about 4 years ago. Wanted to find a spot where I wouldn't encroach on any of the other guys hunting spots. I found a large oak 80 yards out of the front window of this old blind. Have to assume that the hunter would have setup his feeder pretty close to this location. Hell with as many acorns that fall in that area he probably didn't even need/use a feeder. Attached are some pics some of the bucks that I have seen/killed from tree. Have made some great memories sitting in the tree for the last 4 years. I only make about 10 sits in it throughout the duration of deer season and I'm amazed with the amount of quality bucks I see each sit.
    Hope everyone has had a great season so far. Mine is over and I'm already thinking of next season and feeding the big boys all summer long.
    Good Luck
    Attached Files

I’d bet you money the guy that put that old blind there didn’t have a feeder.

Comment

No Feeders, No Binos, No Propane Heater, No Scope.

Comment

Probably smoking a hand rolled cigarette and a thermos of coffee.
        You've had some good bucks out of that spot.
        Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Good spot

Good buck too!!

Congrats

Comment

Yep, growing up we would find old planks nailed across limbs in the swamp from time to time. Automatically we knew those were good spots as the old timers had already figured it out!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Always neat to think how the hunting was when looking at old Blinds / feed pens ... etc

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                Yep, growing up we would find old planks nailed across limbs in the swamp from time to time. Automatically we knew those were good spots as the old timers had already figured it out!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Absolutely! My dad pointed to some old wood nailed up to a tree when I was young. He said “when you see stuff like that, it was probably put there for a reason”

Comment

That's a great looking spot. Congrats on your season. Looks like it was good times.

Comment

that is a great view! how high up are you?

Comment

Enjoyed your recap and looks like you found a gem.

Rwc

Comment

Awesome! Good thread, great bucks.

Comment

Sounds like you have a pretty nice little honey hole there. It is crazy looking at how much deer hunting has evolved over the years. 50 yrs ago that was a top of the line deer stand.

Comment

Old blinds usually are good spots.

Comment

Cool thread and pics. Thanks for posting them.

Comment

Working...
                              X