if you only had 8 hours...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you only had 8 hours...

to do whatever you wanted to do before you could do no more - no matter the reason, what would you choose to invest your time in? family, fun, work, sleep, something crazy like skydiving or cliff diving...etc. I heard this that is written below and it really made me think about what i am doing day-to-day

You live for 24 hours a day. You work 8 hours a day. You sleep 8 hours a day. What do you do with the other 8? Put that into years, you live 60 years. you sleep 20 years. You work 20 years. What do you do with the other 20? If I could push the door of heaven and you could peep into it for 5 minutes, how would it change what you do with the other 20?

A hundred years from now
    A hundred years from now by Warren Parker

It will not make much difference friend a hundred years from now
    if you live in a stately mansion or a floating river scow
    if the clothes you wear were a tailor made or just pieced together somehow
    If you eat big steaks or beans and cake a hundred years from now

Won't matter what your bank account or the maker of car you drive
    for the grave will claim all your riches and fame and the things for which you strive
    There's a deadline that we all must meet, noone will show up late
    it won't matter all the places you've been, each one will keep that date

We will only have in eternity what we gave away on earth
    when we go to the grave we can only save the things of eternal worth
    what matters friend the earthly gain for which some men will bow
    for your destiny will be sealed you see a hundred years from now

As quoted by Leonard Ravenhill,
    Choosing Rather To Suffer

...thought provoking, inspiring and challenging word that grips my heart. how about you?
    Last edited by topshot; 06-30-2017, 12:52 PM.

Makes you think doesn't it.

Comment

It make's me chuckle the lack of responses you have with this OP? Don't get me wrong, but at least with me the older I get the more I think about my days remaining and DO what I want to do with my wife and pups!

But, God Bless them all, the GS is loaded with "young'uns" and I was there once as well. I may be completely off base, but guessing you may be in that extended age group? If not, then you are way above your young years thinking about this??

Some of us have made fortunes, lost fortunes, spent most of our "hours and days" trying to make more and add to our various collections of toy's. I'm at the stage that all of our kid's are raised and gone. Time marches on and now Momma and I think about the days ahead and what WE want to do with our 4 dogs. We are still here for all our family, but our everyday thoughts don't reside for what we need to do for them? It's time they all walked their own path, fall down, get back up...that's what Susan and I always have done!

We have gotten rid of ALL our credit cards, no debt, just living each day for us but still loving all our adult kids.

I read a quote many months ago and it has stuck with me, wife is retired by the way and I'm still working for a few more months:

"I was not born to wake up, go to work, come home and eat then go to bed."

Sometimes the best things in life are just sitting back and saying AHHHHHHH. Great post but I'm one who "lives outside the box." Best wishes......

Comment

Try to get overtime at work...... Said no one ever

Comment

My pastor talks about that kind of stuff all the time. So many people sacrifice so much for the all mighty dollar

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Never heard of a man on his death bed say " I wish I would have spent more time at the office" - family and friends are what it ends up being about at the end of the day

Comment

"Of the saddest words of tongue and pen, the saddest are 'what might have been' " . When some read that famous quote it might bring pangs of regret for career goals not achieved or material things not accumulated. I think that as we get closer to the end of our days, more commonly that pang of regret is due to a realization of a lifetime of misplaced priorities - the realization that you spent so much time and energy on things that don't really matter. The lucky ones get that "a-ha" moment/wake up call when they are still young enough to re-prioritize. Nothing more tragic than regrets on one's death bed.

Comment

I constantly think about the freedom I'll have in retirement...which is 20 years away. Then I think about not spending my life waiting for something better only to regret not living it to the fullest when I had the chance. Then I think it's time to do something awesome, or stupid, or awesomely stupid, or stupidly awesome. Either way I'm gonna make some something happen.

Now, if we're talking the very last 8 hours...well I guess we'd find out if Scarlett Johansson can outrun me.

Comment

I just wish I could have an idea when I'm going to die. Trying to save for the wife but also want to travel when she retires in September. Brother and Dad both died at 66 and I'm 62. Sorry off topic. Carry on.

Comment

Hang with my family

Comment

Finding that balance during your prime earning years is hard. You grind away, sacrificing time with family and putting off having great life experiences, thinking "I am doing this so when I retire I can finally live the life I want". But then a friend or family member dies young and you are reminded that tomorrow is promised to no one. You have to find a way to lead a meaningful life - whatever that means to you - NOW.

Comment

Thanks for the post. I know what I would do. I would spend it with the ones I love and make one more memory. I am 51 and my focus is doing my best to live every moment and be the man that God intended me to be.

Comment

[ATTACH]860648[/ATTACH]

Comment

I've made the decision to retire a little bit every day. I still work hard and provide for my family, but the work I've put in for the last 25 years has enabled me to relax a little bit. My best days are spent with my best friend, Jennie and our beautiful family. I refuse to die with regrets. I refuse to live with them too....

Comment

I have always lived by , live some, work isn't everything. My dad used to get upset with me,because I would take days off unpaid to hunt ,fish etc. Always had some money put up for emergencies, but I saw him & my uncle always grinding away & in the end my Uncle told me in the mtns of Colorado the season after my dad died ,enjoy some of your life. Look at me old & wore out & can't enjoy it, your Dad died last June at 69. Carried a lot of weight with me. I think of death a little more now as I get older. I'm still somewhat young at 56 ,but like is said, you aren't promised another one.

Comment

Working...
                              X