Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does your recreational property produce an income for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess it will be money producer when i cut the timber or sell it. I have owned one piece for 23 years or so.

Comment

I thinned my timber and made about $7,000. I then bought a tractor for the property with that money. So, it was reinvested. I have had to pay to clear invasive species. I have paid to get electrical and water installed. Now am about to pay to have brush piles chipped. It's a never ending job and not cheap. But in my opinion, well worth it!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

No !
        It costs me fortunes to customize this awesome place.
        Would have to lease for 20k a gun to break even.

Comment

Originally posted by ccbrown50 View Post
          You can buy some land and lease it to me to hunt . I'm last to the blind, first one out, if its brown it down, and I keep my feeders going 12 weeks out of the year.

Haha just a bump for ya bud, looks like you got some solid advice above.
          Haha, copy that C....you sound like a great lease partner.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

It will depend on the property what you can do I suppose. I guess my deer camp would be “recreational property” but it could be spruced up a bit into a below average to fair cattle farm if need be.

I cut a little timber here and there and move over there once in the summer to cut it. Usually get 700 bales or so, so I guess you could say that pays property tax (~$1,100) fertilizer and any little knick knacks I might need over there & still leaves me with a decent little chunk.

Comment

Property taxes are covered from crop rent/CRP. Logging potential was diminished by storms, but looking into selling some logs. Lots of deductions, that’s about it. We sold some commercial real estate to buy a spot as a family thing. The land has appreciated exponentially, but it’s a case of land rich and cash poor.

Comment

Our family farm is 1700 +/-acres.

It’s ag exempt for timber.
                Timber makes money every so often that is usually spent on farm equipment, road work, pond **** construction ect.

I run the deer lease on it.. me and a few family and friends that pays the taxes and camp electric bill barely.

We cut hay and sale it or trade it for other work on the place.

In the end it probably never makes any money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

120 acres-money pit-my favorite place on earth. It’s where our family gathers. We hunt, fish, drink and cook together. The kids will get it. If they choose to sell it they will make a killing-I pray they never will. We lease to our neighbor who runs cows on it. We have invested a ton of money in the house(s). If I ever make money it will be because it’s paid for and I can sell my house and move out there
                  Last edited by dosrobles; 01-22-2021, 06:51 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Thanks for all the replies gents.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X