X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea, according to the Facebook group, I don't think anyone minded... haha

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
      Doesn't everyone strip down naked, and only use Trad equipment? I might wear a loincloth, but that's about it. Most of the time I just chase them down on foot, while holding my skinning knife in my teeth.

Well that's an image that isn't going anywhere for a bit........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like people uneducated on the subject making changes. Eventually, all guns will be banned from there. Then archery will be next. I've watched it deteriorate since the early 1980s when all firearms were legal.

Today's kit muzzleloaders are capable of 300 yards. And there are specialty long-range muzzleloader competions at twice that distance.

For those who joy in a reduction of firearms there, this is also one more reason those who oppose second amendment rights will say you don't need any type of firearm.

One more step for the animal rights activist too.

Now, how can it be a good thing?

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

I like the idea of smooth bore and primitive muzzleoader. WhatÂ’s the point of weapon restrictions when people have made work arounds that essentially defeat the purpose? And to clarify I mean weapon restrictions due to small units. If it was all one big tract then it would be pointless.
          Last edited by Etxnoodler; 08-07-2020, 10:43 AM.

Comment

There are too many people, too little land.

Comment

If you can still put a scope on you're shotgun or "primitive" muzzleloader, you can still reach out there if you know what you're doing. Unless they put some kind of restriction on the ammo/projectiles you use.

Comment

On a side note, if anyone wants to sell they're rifled shotgun PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
                  On a side note, if anyone wants to sell they're rifled shotgun PM me.
                  Never!

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                    Never heard that one unless its a new rule although I have heard rifled shotguns have come a long way in accuracy and range recently. I know some projects only allow muzzleloaders but not shotguns and some vice versa. Neither makes any sense to me, both are limited range. There should be 3 groups, you have you archery which now includes crossbow, limited range which is all shotguns and muzzleloaders, and then you have rifle.
                    You seen the new muzzle loaders on the market? Some of them are accurately shooting farther than most people can with a rifle.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

No rifled shotguns allowed at LBJ?

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                      There are too many people, too little land.

There’s 20k acres. I can count on one hand the amount of people I’ve ran into when I used to deer hunt out there.

Once again, it’s a useless decision based on absolutely no merit.

Sounds like liberals after the Sandy hook shooting: “He used an AR! Let’s ban all AR’s!” Except the only people being hurt up there are horse riders and it’s not due to hunters.

Last edited by Blood Trail; 08-07-2020, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                        If there is a change for limiting range it should be smooth bore shotguns and do muzzleloaders like Colorado. You gotta stuff the tube and no magnification if memory serves me right. Open sights and I don’t even think you can have fiber optic enhancement. This takes it down to 100 yards or less.

Can you shoot rifles slugs in a rifled slug gun? Just sounds like it would cause issues if groves did not match. I figured rifled slugs were for smooth bore guns trying to get some stabilization.

Rifled slugs are designed for smooth barrels and do not impart a spin on the slug.

Comment

You can not compare a shotgun with most all center-fire rifle cartridges when talking about trying to get around the rules. Slugs were chosen because of the limited distance when fired. A center-fire cartridge can travel up to and in-excess of 1.5 miles. A slug is not going to travel even half that distance. And a slug is gonna travel about the same distance weather shot from a rifled barrel or a smooth bore (using the same slug in both). I'd rather have Joe Jangles out there with a rifled barrel and a scope shooting at a deer at 80-100 yards than have him out there with a less accurate smooth bore and possibly open sights. And take a greater chance on wounding or gut shooting a deer with a smooth bore. Cause there's gonna be that type out there on a regular basis. There always is. Smooth bores are more prone to inaccuracy that rifled barrels in most cases. And we all know that the more wounding that goes on, the greater the chances that we hunters as a group, all inclusive no matter what you like to hunt with, will lose in the end. BTW, I've been slug gunning since the late 1970s.

I've watched enough change out there over the years to know where LBJ is heading. I've watched it go from rifles and hand guns allowed, to shotguns muzzle-loaders and archery only, hand feeding to no hand feeding, state limits to limited doe permits-to only 4 doe days. And now this.

It's like a little piranha fish taking a little bite once in a while. Pretty soon all the meat is gone. And at the rate it's going, it may be with in the next 20 years. So, if you have children, or grandchildren, they may not get to hunt there.

Edit: if there really is someone named Joe Jangles, I apologize.
                          Last edited by Texas Grown; 08-07-2020, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                            Doesn't everyone strip down naked, and only use Trad equipment? I might wear a loincloth, but that's about it. Most of the time I just chase them down on foot, while holding my skinning knife in my teeth.
                            WUSS.... I just sneak up buck nekkid and strangle 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
                              Rifled slugs are designed for smooth barrels and do not impart a spin on the slug.

So whats the point of the rifling?

Comment

To increase the accuracy. And help with stability. Doesn't always work though. I've shot a ton of those things in smooth bore. And in rifled barrels just playing around. They are also known as Foster slugs from the man who invented them, K. M. Foster.
                                Last edited by Texas Grown; 08-07-2020, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X