String Silencer position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

String Silencer position

Have tried several configurations for string silencer placement. Tried on the 1/4’s with decent success. Then switched to 1/4 on top 1/3 on bottom good quiet, but a slight decrease in speed. Then tried L/6 and L/10 with L being string length between grooves for longbow and from string touch on limb for recurve. This was quiet and some speed came back. Finally, tried 18.3% from string groove (10.248” for 56” string) this is real quiet and quite quick. Perhaps this will save someone time tuning and help put game on the ground.
    Last edited by Wudstix; 07-21-2020, 08:47 PM.

Interesting. Good info push Stix.

So...those Granger Piggys wont hear your arrow coming and we’ll get to eat hog on Saturday next GRXH! Super sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by Wudstix View Post
      Have tried several configurations for string silencer placement. Tried on the 1/4’s with decent success. Then switched to 1/4 on top 1/3 on bottom good quiet, but a slight decrease in speed. Then tried L/6 and L/10 with L being string length between grooves for longbow and from string touch on limb for recurve. This was quiet and some speed came back. Finally, tried 18.3% from string groove (10.248” for 56” string) this is real quiet and quite quick. Perhaps this will save someone time tuning and help put game on the ground.
      I will have to try that. I can use all the help I can find...
      Thank you for the info.

Comment

It cracks me up to see this. Thought it was common knowledge.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Apparently not. Folks get settled in with something that works OK and that’s it. I’ve learned allot in the last week or so.

Comment

The harmonics of each bow is different. It definitely helps to experiment.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

I generally start with L/4 from top and L/3 from bottom.

What is the significance of 18.3%, or am I just missing the sarcasm?

Comment

I use the length of my bow square from each end of the string. Somewhere I read that the 1/4-1/3 method was supposed to be more quiet. I tried it and immediately the string started slapping my bow arm. I went back the the bow square length from both ends, and no more string slap, so that’s what I stayed with.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I use a highly scientific system of placement. One side I'll put about a foot from the the loop and the other I'll put a little less or a little more. I figure that different distances will keep the string vibration from setting up a harmonic. Works great.

Comment

My experience so far has been that 18.3% of total bow string length measured down from the string touch on both ends works for my Big River D/R longbow and my Kota D-shaped longbow equally well. BR is 66.5# and Kota is 70.5#, first has paracord sheaths and Kota has big wool puffs. Both very quiet and quick. Happy, happy, happy!!!

Comment

So just moved the big wool puff on my Kota 62” D-shaped longbow and the noise dampening is great. It doesn’t seem to matter as much the material, but paracord is very good.

Comment

Working...
                      X