This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
    Yes sir I'd highly recommend the Sightmark Photon RT 4.5x42S for $549. Right out of the box you can see 200-250 yards with no extra IR illumination. It's got internal video recording, a super bright built in IR illuminator and its a proven tried and true, proven scope over the last 12 months. Here is my full review on the scope. It's very long but if you really want to know all about the scope before you purchase, it's worth the time to watch.

Sightmark Photon RT Digital Night Vision Riflescope Full Review - YouTube

Sightmark Photon RT First Hog Kill - YouTube

Thanks, you will probably hear from me in a month or two

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
      I have been looking real hard at a RXQ30V. Pretty much have the money in hand, but now starting to second guess my choice.

The size I like. The green display I don't have a problem with, or the minimal features either. But I would like to ID and shoot a coyote at 200 yards, and the folks I have talked to, none of them will say for sure it will do that. If it will, that is great, and the direction I will go. Will it, or will it not?

If not...

$1900 is a pretty big chunk of change for me, and I don't want spend it on something I won't be happy with. What is the next level in performance, and what does it take to get there? How much money/what brand and model of thermal will it take to do what I want?

200 yards on coyotes with the RXQ30V is possible in the right conditions but I'd say it's stretching it to all it's really capable of. I'm much more comfortable saying 150 yards for coyotes.

If you really want to shoot that far regularly, I'd save up a little and move into the next level. Unfortunately, the Pulsar Apexes have been discontinued and they were the answer to your solution and by far the best bang for your buck on the thermal market, hands down. The good news is, Pulsar is announcing their new line of thermals next week at the SHOT Show in Vegas and we are expecting there to be a replacement in the Apex price range. We won't know until next week but I say to stay tuned. I'll probably create a new thread in this forum like I do every year just for SHOT Show updates.

Jason

Comment

Sounds good Jason. After researching the last few days I thought that was what you were going to say. Looks like I need to just keep saving. Currently I think I would have to go to the XQ-38 to get the performance I am looking for. Maybe something new will come out in the meantime that will fill the gap.

Now some speculation on my part....

Seems to me that the RXQ30V has most of the pieces in place to be a really good optic. Mainly what is missing is a bigger lens, and from what I understand those are one of the (if not the) most expensive parts of a good thermal optic. If Pulsar could find a cost effective way to get the next step up in lens on the RXQ30V, they would have a winner.
        Last edited by Jethro; 01-16-2019, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Thank You For Starting This Thread!

So glad you started this thread Jason! I'll definitely be checking this one daily!.. There are a lot of new scopes and optics coming out in 2019 and it'll be good have a thread to talk about them all...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrWTpJieRQw&t"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrWTpJieRQw&t[/ame]

Comment

Last nights results with my 6.5 Grendel SBR/Pulsar XQ50 and PVS14 with IR rifle mounted laser.
            My buddy I went with used a 5.56 SBR/D760 and PVS14.
            2 others were hit but made it to the tree line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Love these types of threads.

Question regarding the Pulsar Apex xq38... it seems to REALLY chew up those batteries, especially when it gets colder than say 45 degrees or so. When it's cold I'm not even sure the batteries will last an hour of run time. Does that seem normal? I'm contemplating getting an external battery pack but will it get in the way since I use it as a spotter as well??

Comment

Tagged. Good video review of the sightmark, well done. What was the yardage on the hog in the second video? Surprising how good that looks

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post

Now some speculation on my part....

Seems to me that the RXQ30V has most of the pieces in place to be a really good optic. Mainly what is missing is a bigger lens, and from what I understand those are one of the (if not the) most expensive parts of a good thermal optic. If Pulsar could find a cost effective way to get the next step up in lens on the RXQ30V, they would have a winner.
                  You're on the right track. It's no so much just the lens size, although that does matter, it's also the fact that it's not focusable. This is what prevents the RXQ30V, the PTS233 and the Trail XQ30 from having better image quality. (To be clear, I'm not saying they have bad image quality, I'm saying it is what sets them apart). Large objective lens and focusable lenses are very big expense and that's why these less expensive scopes don't have those features.

Long term I'm not sure what will happen but I don't see the RXQ30V being changed or improved much. I think if Pulsar found a way to step up those features, you'd be looking at a $2,500 scope again. Who knows though, if the internal electronics pricing continues to slowly go down in costs, you never know what can happen.

- Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
                    Thanks so much! How do you like the Convergent caller? I'm trying to decide whether to go that route or the Foxpro?

Yes sir I agree. For those that don't know, the N-Vision Halo was just announced and it's going to be $5,995 and an extremely strong competitor to the Trjicions. We'll be getting our hands on it soon and I'm very interested to see how the unit looks/feels and performs. I think we already know what the image quality is going to be like.

One tiny correction on the Pulsar, the XP50 is $5,000 but yep their scopes are great. They will be releasing a whole new line of thermals called the Thermions next week at the SHOT Show.
                    They can be found a little cheaper now since they been out for awhile, below MAP.

The Nvision look to be just as good if not a better image then my Reap. I think it is because supposedly the germanium lense is a little better. I am not a fan of the plastic look on the scope, but a 5 year warranty is also HUGE

Comment

Tagged I need one of these��

Comment

I had a RXQ30V and for whatever reason I could not get the reticle and image to both be in focus. Returned it and got a Photon RT which I’ve been very happy with. Pulsar rep said today that they have new line of HD digital NV being revealed very soon that should be much better than the RT. I am hoping for a much improved thermal in the RXQ30V/Apex price range...

Comment

Originally posted by lglidewell View Post
                          Last nights results with my 6.5 Grendel SBR/Pulsar XQ50 and PVS14 with IR rifle mounted laser.
                          My buddy I went with used a 5.56 SBR/D760 and PVS14.
                          2 others were hit but made it to the tree line.
                          Man y'all were nailing them!!! Nice job!

Originally posted by Hunteraudit View Post
                          Tagged. Good video review of the sightmark, well done. What was the yardage on the hog in the second video? Surprising how good that looks
                          Hmm, that's been a year ago but I'm thinking that hog was about 45-60 yards. He was somewhere in that range. I'm used to walking up really close when I'm using low magnification thermal and if I'm using a Photon I've had several instances where I literally had to turn around and walk backwards because I was way too close for the 4.5x magnification.lol

Originally posted by BobbyJoe View Post
                          Love these types of threads.

Question regarding the Pulsar Apex xq38... it seems to REALLY chew up those batteries, especially when it gets colder than say 45 degrees or so. When it's cold I'm not even sure the batteries will last an hour of run time. Does that seem normal? I'm contemplating getting an external battery pack but will it get in the way since I use it as a spotter as well??
                          No sir that doesn't seem normal. I've sold an absolute ton of Apexes, with a whole lot of them going up north to guys hunting in super cold weather. They all end up with a battery pack but I haven't heard them talk about much less than hour. One thing to note, if it's the cold zapping the batteries, it's the cold...not the scope. What brand 123A batteries are you using? I've done a bunch of research and read all the scientific test results and Panasonic always comes out on top but they are silly expensive. Energizer and Duracel are a close 2nd and they lead the rest of the pack by far. I'd consider a Streamlight or a Surefire but I've have mixed results with them the last few times I used them. I'd really suggest sticking to Engergizer or Duracell.

I've got the Pulsar EPS3i battery packs for $129 and they should run the scope for 6-8 hours. I have several customers hunting up north in sub-zero temps telling me they are getting 4-6 hours out of the EPS3i even in those temps. Two guys told me they've been out when their iPhones won't even power on because of the cold but they were shooting coyotes with the Apex. They're more dedicated than me.lol

- Jason

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                            They can be found a little cheaper now since they been out for awhile, below MAP.

The Nvision look to be just as good if not a better image then my Reap. I think it is because supposedly the germanium lense is a little better. I am not a fan of the plastic look on the scope, but a 5 year warranty is also HUGE
                            True, but Pulsar is working hard to make those guys either tow the line or get out. No one who's running a legit business was doing that anyway; it costs waaaay too much to run a full time business, pay employees, create content, provide customer service etc. It was the part-timers trying to make beer and ammo money that were the problem. Pulsar has come down heavy in the last few months and anyone foolish enough to risk their wholesale pricing being raised or taking a chance to lose their status as a dealer is pretty dumb.lol

I can't wait to put the Halo next to my REAP and see what they look like side by side. I agree on the plastic look, the Trijicons are nice because of the all metal housing. It's going to be interesting to see if the consumers are willing to throw their money at N-Vision and take a chance on them when Trijicon is....well Trijicon....the best of the best both in reliability and customer service. We will see, I hope to have the Halo very soon.

Originally posted by WTJim View Post
                            I had a RXQ30V and for whatever reason I could not get the reticle and image to both be in focus. Returned it and got a Photon RT which I’ve been very happy with. Pulsar rep said today that they have new line of HD digital NV being revealed very soon that should be much better than the RT. I am hoping for a much improved thermal in the RXQ30V/Apex price range...
                            Yes there are some interesting things in store on the digital home front. I'm ready to get my hands on it at SHOT. I'll report back. Glad you're enjoying the Photon RT, it's a great scope.

- Jason

Comment

I’m in!

Comment

Sightmark broke the news yesterday on a new digital NV scope they have coming out. This is something they've been quietly working on for awhile. It's called the Wraith HD 4-32x50 and it will retail for $499. It's full color during the daylight, black and white at night, has video recording and variable digital zoom. It is obviously their answer to the X-Sight. The word is the Photon RT's are not going away and this will just be another scope in their line up. I'm going to be very interested to see how it performs in the area of image quality and the IR brightness. I'll be finding out a lot more next week at SHOT Show. Stay tuned, it looks very intriguing.

Here is a ton of info on it and there are 2 videos at the bottom of the page, including some video shot through the unit.

- Jason

Comment

Working...
                                X