Beekeeper questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beekeeper questions

Quick question. I have bees in my garden but I don’t know where they hive at. Could I build or buy a bee box and have them naturally move in?

Think you need something to get the queen to move.

Comment

I have a couple of hives. You would have to move the queen for the hive to move.

Comment

RedRaider is correct, you will need to grab the queen, and the majority of the rest of the bees will probably follow.

Comment

Ok thanks guys.

Comment

Nope. Those bees have a home already.

Comment

depending on how big the original hive, you could set up a box and maybe catch a swarm off the original hive.

Comment

Yea I just have seen several this past gardening season hanging out on all the flowers and thought about putting a box up. We have a local beekeeper store by my house and I’m gonna go see if they know of anyone that would like to put a box out.

Comment

google the plans for building a hive trap, lots of videos and forums. The traps can be built out of almost any kind of wood. Success is usually about 2 or 3 swarms per 10 traps from my experience, depending on bee density.

Comment

The hive would have to swarm from their other hive to a honeybee trap. You can attract them to a new hive but they have to want to swarm from their current hive. They might not need to swarm so they won't. I usually trap them in the spring when the majority of honeybee swarms take place. They can swarm in the fall but usually it's during the spring. I have 22 hives.

Comment

I doubt it as Winter is getting close.....the bees need honey to survive during the winter time.....Spring would be better....

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Murphey View Post
                        I doubt it as Winter is getting close.....the bees need honey to survive during the winter time.....Spring would be better....
                        Yea guess I should have clarified. with our cooler temps, yes I’m gloating, I figured it was to late for this year. Was thinking about doing this next year.

Comment

Working...
                        X