Choosing grass for yard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choosing grass for yard

We need to sod our front yard as the mud is BAD!

We don’t really know where to start...

Cuero Texas. We will not be putting in a sprinkler system but can water as necessary to establish. Would like to “checkerboard” to get more coverage and let it fill in.

Would like something good for high traffic, kids, pets. But as low of maintenance as possible.

Bermuda, Zoysia, St Augustine, Fescue, Centipede??

What’s the best time fo year to do this?

Y’all school

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Choosing grass for yard

I’ll be watching this thread ,building a new house and have to start working on a new yard plan. I’m planning on putting in a sprinkler system. Mine will be wide open sun with small newly planted trees
    Last edited by SCORPION KING; 01-01-2021, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Following

Comment

I could be wrong but I thing Bermuda is pretty much you’re only option in Texas if you aren’t going to have irrigation. All the others will die if they don’t get enough water. Bermuda will turn brown and go dormant during a drought but will green back up once it rains. Bermuda requires full sun though. Pretty much any kind of tree cover or other shade and it won’t grow.

My personal advice if you want any kind of decent looking lawn is to put in irrigation. Then you will have more options regarding grass type. In my experience, in Texas you have to put some TLC into your lawn to keep it looking halfway decent. Otherwise it’ll turn into a dirt/muddy mess or a weed infested mess. Or both.
        Last edited by mwk128; 01-01-2021, 09:55 PM.

Comment

You got sun or shade? That will determine what you plant.

Comment

St Augustine from midway grass farm in telphner

Comment

Zoysia is really nice. When it starts looks bad during drought, water it and it looks great again minutes later.

Comment

How much area are you talking about? If it’s a large area I would go Bermuda if you checker board you are going to deal with weeds.I’m in the business down here in S.E TX. Give me an idea of the size place and function and I can give you more pointed information or at least my opinion on it.

Comment

Right now, throw some rye grass to help with mud.
                  Bermuda, got to wait till later once it starts getting warmer.
                  St. Augustine can go down sooner, but id still wait till spring

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Go with Celebration Bermuda for drought tolerant and thank me later. Lots of football and soccer teams use this type of grass, extremely drought tolerant.

Kill all weeds with roundup and put down a pre emerge before you plant. You can start anytime you’d like but I prefer March. After you plant put out a light amount of pre emerge about every six weeks to keep weed free so grass can fill in.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                      Go with Celebration Bermuda for drought tolerant and thank me later. Lots of football and soccer teams use this type of grass, extremely drought tolerant.

Kill all weeds with roundup and put down a pre emerge before you plant. You can start anytime you’d like but I prefer March. After you plant put out a light amount of pre emerge about every six weeks to keep weed free so grass can fill in.
                      what he said. And whatever you do....NO ST. AUGUSTINE. It's your grandfathers turf....for a reason.....

Comment

https://www.seedsource.com/catalog/d...roduct_id=2855
                        This grass mix is the real deal.

Comment

Tif tuf Bermuda.

Comment

Zoysia Palisades, IMO best grass out there

Comment

I put 5 pallets of Floratam St. Augustine down 2 years ago, I am in Corpus Christi. Its in full sun, no shade and has done very well. It was a last minute decision for me when Sutherlands put it on sale for 100.00 per pallet. It was late summer, my yard was dry and full of weeds. I scraped the grass/weeds off with FEL. I watered the ground over night, laid the grass the following morning and watered it in the morning and at night for several weeks. It makes for a very thick and plush looking yard. It does not require a lot of water once established. When I was rushing to prep the yard for install, I was trying to follow directions i found on line. I rented a big rear tine tiller from Home Depot. The ground was so hard, it would do nothing but bounce. I could not get it to dig in. That's when I decided to water the bare ground over night and roll the dice. Installed the following morning and then watered very heavy early AM and after sunset when I got home from work.
                              Last edited by brushtrooper; 01-02-2021, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X