Deer Processor - Tag needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer Processor - Tag needed?

It has been years since I've taken a deer to a processor, so forgive my ignorance here. I told my son I would get some snacks sticks made for him from a deer he shot back during thanksgiving. The meat is deboned, cleaned up, frozen and ready for use. I usually store it this way until I'm ready to grind after season. I no longer have the tag.

Will a processor take the deer without a tag?

I have no idea how that works with it being that long. I'd just give em a call and see if they would take it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Goldensammy View Post
      It has been years since I've taken a deer to a processor, so forgive my ignorance here. I told my son I would get some snacks sticks made for him from a deer he shot back during thanksgiving. The meat is deboned, cleaned up, frozen and ready for use. I usually store it this way until I'm ready to grind after season. I no longer have the tag.

Will a processor take the deer without a tag?
      I took deboned meat to a processor once to have snack sticks made, and they did not require me to have a tag. They did charge me a "processing fee" though, so they will never get my business again.

Comment

Not required according to the outdoor annual.

Comment

Tag stays with the meat. You absolutely need a tag with it. Some processors may not care but when the game warden pulls up while you are there with no tag you will lose the meat and get a fine. I work with several processors and know what I’m talking about

Comment

Tell them it’s an axis deer...

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
              finally someone with a post worth a darn lol

Comment

You won’t need a tag, the tag stays with the meat until it is processed. It has been processed and reached its final point, yes I know you’re taking it to a processor, but you’ve already processed it

Comment

Deboned meat does not require tag.

Comment

Don’t need a tag on deboned meat

Comment

an option

tag is not needed for boned out deer at any of the 3 processors Ive used in the last 15 years.

Comment

The four quarters and two backstraps are the only parts of a game animal required by law to be kept in edible condition.

Tagging and proof-of-sex requirements, if required, continue to apply until the wildlife resource reaches a final destination and is quartered.

While in camp you may remove and prepare a part of a wildlife resource if the removal and preparation occur immediately before the part is cooked or consumed; however, all tagging and proof of sex regulations apply to remaining parts until the parts reach a final destination.

Originally posted by BeetleGuy View Post
                        Tag stays with the meat. You absolutely need a tag with it. Some processors may not care but when the game warden pulls up while you are there with no tag you will lose the meat and get a fine. I work with several processors and know what I’m talking about

Comment

Or better yet just call them and tell them the truth, worst that can happen is you get an answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Final destination:
                            The permanent residence of the hunter; the permanent residence of any other person receiving the animal/bird carcass part of an animal/bird carcass; or a cold storage or processing facility.

Final processing:
                            The cleaning of a dead wildlife resource for cooking or storage purposes. For a deer or pronghorn carcass, the term includes the processing of the animal more than by quartering.

So with all that, my understanding is deboning at your home is final destination.

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                            The four quarters and two backstraps are the only parts of a game animal required by law to be kept in edible condition.

Tagging and proof-of-sex requirements, if required, continue to apply until the wildlife resource reaches a final destination and is quartered.

While in camp you may remove and prepare a part of a wildlife resource if the removal and preparation occur immediately before the part is cooked or consumed; however, all tagging and proof of sex regulations apply to remaining parts until the parts reach a final destination.

Comment

Originally posted by BeetleGuy View Post
                              I slept at a holiday inn express once. Does that make me more credible?
                              In all seriousness, I used to work at a processor.

As I’ve posted before, and has been posted above. Tagging requirements cease once final destination has been reached.

If you enter your animal into a cold storage book at your lease, you no longer need a tag or WRD.

If your animal meets requirements to be tagged and reaches processor, when they enter it into log book, requirements cease.

GW will try and might even cite you. Doesn’t mean they are right. (Won’t be the first time). Might be easier and cause less questions to be asked if you have tag, but in your case, you’ve committed no crime.

Comment

Working...
                              X