Straightening Trailer Axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Straightening Trailer Axle

I have a single axle trailer with a 3500# axle that some brilliant person overloaded and bent the axle. Looking for clever ways to straighten. I have a 20 ton press and plenty of welding equipment.

try flipping the axle and putting another heavy load

Comment

$250 axle I’m buying a new one. It will never be the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sideways View Post
        $250 axle I’m buying a new one. It will never be the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        This ^^^

Comment

Probably easiest to put a new axle on it.

Comment

Call trailer parts suppliers in Mt Pleasant. There are so many builders in the area the parts are super cheap. We used to buy a kit with 1 3500lb axle, tongue, fenders and lights for three hundred dollars.

Comment

We took wheels off, then took axle off, flipped axle over, set on blocks and used skidsteer to bend back as straight as possible with forks. I can see it barely but only because i know.

We fixed because it caused a tire to blow.

Comment

Wrap a chain around bot ends running the chain down the high side of the bend. Put an 8 or 12 ton hydraulic jack between the chain and the axle. The chain gives the jack something to push against and you can easily straighten the axle as good as new. You can move the jack along the chain to push at exactly the right place. I've straightened every thing from tail gates to flag poles doing this.

Comment

Wow. I know this will come in handy in the future and Im already afraid of the tension.

Comment

I'd think for the amount of time you spent on flippin, wrapping and bending you could put a new one on and cuss way less that day and later down the road

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

We have done what Draco stated. Chain it and jack it . It worked.

Comment

I like the chain idea and per the interwebs that works. The other solution I had was to kerf the outside of the bend with a chop saw, bend it straight and weld up the kerfs. However, I priced a new axle at $156. Since this is the trailer I use for my SXS and everytime I go to the lease I run around 700 miles I don't need any trouble on the road. Time required to fix the existing axle and time required to go get the new axle are about the same. So new axle it is.

Thanks to all who responded.

Comment

I had a trailer w a bent axle. Took to a trailer place, they told me that axles have a slight camber to them and once bent you could not straighten it out correctly. I know they are in business of selling parts, but their explanation made sense to me. (tandem axle trailer, both bent). I had them change and it was amazing how much better it pulled

Comment

Working...
                          X