How did Indians sharpen their knives??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did Indians sharpen their knives??

Watched a YouTube video of guy hunting bison. After he shoots it, 5 of his buddies ride up on horses. They butchered bison up in about 30 min. Which I got to assume they used havalons or the like, making the job easier, So how the hell did the Indians butcher up all those buffs and keep knives cutting?? Yes I know I’m sure google will tell me..but this is more fun and it’s Wednesday(or hump day as in Buffalo,they have hump rt?) answer that too why’ll y’all are at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flint can be sharper than the finest steel. A quick pass of pressure flakes gave a new and razor sharp edge

Comment

^^

Like he said, some minerals/compounds can form finer edge than steel. See link for obsidian scalpels. (I know, not technically mineral but my point is the same)

Fine Science Tools is the leading distributor of precision European surgical and microsurgical instruments to the scientific and biomedical research community.

Comment

They used a heap big whetstone, I guess.

Either that, or what GarGuy said.

Comment

I have no clue but I want to find at least one arrowhead before I die lol

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
            Flint can be sharper than the finest steel. A quick pass of pressure flakes gave a new and razor sharp edge
            This and it does not dull nearly as easy or as fast as steel either.. Much like ceramic.

Comment

Duh, they slept at Holiday Inn Express the night before.

Crazy to think what they accomplished with some stone, stick, and sinew.

Comment

Originally posted by npe001 View Post
                I have no clue but I want to find at least one arrowhead before I die lol
                Same here! These guys on here and youtube make it look so easy. Hell I have become so desperate I caught myself looking though my bags of creek stones I put in the yard from Home Depot the other day.

Comment

Good stones and I thinks as the old buffalo hunters did, they sharpened only one side.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                    Same here! These guys on here and youtube make it look so easy. Hell I have become so desperate I caught myself looking though my bags of creek stones I put in the yard from Home Depot the other day.
                    Home Depot buys the tailings from GarGuy's digs. He already picked all the good stuff out first.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                      Hahaha, I look in the Caliche at the property every time I walk across it or on it. No luck yet.....

Comment

I don't know the answer OP but you can bet that every time an Indian started to sharpen his knife there was a least one that came out of nowhere to tell them that he was doing it wrong.

Comment

Worksharp. Dang man, errbody knows dat.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post
                            I don't know the answer OP but you can bet that every time an Indian started to sharpen his knife there was a least one that came out of nowhere to tell them that he was doing it wrong.

[emoji23] ain’t that the truth!!!! All while not helping him get his any sharper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post
                              LMAO... Yep those squaws never have changed either!!

Comment

Working...
                              X