Which pellet smoker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which pellet smoker?

I am close to jumping on the pellet smoker wagon. Is Treager or Rectec really worth the coin compared to Pit Boss and other cheaper brands? What options should I be comparing? I have done most of my smoking in side firebox pits and in the last few years the Ugly Drum Smoker has been my fav just because its as close a set it forget it type smoker I could build/buy at the time. Ribs, brisket, pork butts are my typical smoker items

Buy once, cry once....Yoder.

Comment

I have a Louisiana Pellet grill and a Camp Chef Woodwind 36.

I went back and forth between the RecTec and the Woodwind before deciding on the Woodwind. The Woodwind has a optional side-mounted Sidekick sear/grill station that works remarkably well. I converted the Sidekick station to Natural Gas and use it for reverse searing steaks, burgers, etc. You can swap out the grill/sear box for a pizza oven or griddle as well.

If I had to pick between the Traeger or RecTec I would go with the RecTec.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Maddox; 09-08-2021, 05:38 AM.

Comment

I got the RecTec and love it. But I don't have any experience with anything else.

Comment

Which pellet smoker?

The premium brands are Pitts & Spitts, Rec Tec and Yoder. These are built to be lifetime units and are very heavy duty.

All of the others I have looked at are cheaper, thinner metal and most can’t get the temperature high enough to sear. Also watching YouTube some of the other units do not have tight temperature control like the premium models. I’ve seen temp swings as high as 25° on some. Again I can only speak for what I own but the temp never swings more than 2-3°.

My P&S will get the chamber temp to 600°. Not sure about RT & Yoder.

Quality of pellets used makes a huge difference as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          Last edited by Mike D; 09-08-2021, 05:38 AM.

Comment

Pitts and Spitts is the cats meow.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
              The premium brands are Pitts & Spitts, Rec Tec and Yoder. These are built to be lifetime units and are very heavy duty.

All of the others I have looked at are cheaper, thinner metal and most can’t get the temperature high enough to sear. Also watching YouTube some of the other units do not have tight temperature control like the premium models. I’ve seen temp swings as high as 25° on some. Again I can only speak for what I own but the temp never swings more than 2-3°.

X2

Comment

I have a green mountain, no complaints sofar. It has no problem getting high temps to sear.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

Valid points. My Yoder I’ve gotten to 600-625 before. I’m sure all those you mentioned are around the same with ability to get high temps.

I’ve been a fan of B&B competition pellets

Comment

I love my Pit Boss. Has the newer controller and WiFi. Have no complaints yet. Will dead a steak or fajitas with no problem with the sear plate open. For $400 on sale, I will take it over the other brands. I went inexpensive the first one as I didn’t know if I would really like cooking on a pellet smoker. May spend a little more next time.

Comment

I have no experience with other pellet smokers, but I love my Rectec 700. Holds 40lbs of pellets. Is very heavy duty

Comment

Originally posted by cnc_xt View Post
                        Pitts and Spitts is the cats meow.
                        I love my Pitts & Spitts.
                        Attached Files

Comment

They are all pretty much the same when it comes to burning and smoking pellets.
                          I have a couple of old traegers. They are cheap and easy to get parts for and repair.
                          I’m actually on the hunt for another one as we speak.

Comment

I have a GMG Daniel Boone and so far it's been great. I will say GMG is middle of the line when it comes to pellet smokers. Quality of pellets and maintenance go a long way in how your grill performs.

I've mostly used Lumberjack pellets and have had great success with them. I recently tried B&B as I had a hard time finding Lumberjack pellets recently and so far they've been good as well.

Just like a charcoal grill you'll have to clean/vacuum out the chamber, and check for grease to prevent grease fires. Also need to make sure the temp. sensor is clean too as that can be the cause of temp swings.

Overall it's been a great investment, especially during the summer time as I don't have to mess with a fire in 100+ degree temps. I can monitor the temps from my phone inside the AC. I tell people I like the pure laziness of it as it's a set it and forget it type thing.

Comment

The Pit Boss 1150 Navigator Series Grill features the real-wood flavor of an outdoor cooking adventure. With advanced grilling technology, premium gauge stainless-steel builds, and 100% all-natural hardwood pellet fuel, enjoy Bigger, Hotter, Heavier features - that can only come from a Pit Boss grill. The 1150 offers 8-in-1 cooking versatility, to smoke, bake, braise, roast, grill, barbecue, char-grill, and sear - all in one. Dial in heat ranging from 180 to 500F and achieve instant direct or indirect heat using the innovative slide-plate flame broiler. Then, use the digital control board and stainless-steel meat probes to track temperatures and set it and forget it, while the Navigator does all the work for you. Additional features of the Pit Boss 1150 Navigator Series grill include a large hopper capacity, large pellet view window, pellet door cleanout, reinforced legs, high-temperature powder coat finish, convertible front-to-bottom built-in tool hooks, locking caster wheels, and the Pit Boss best-in class 5-year warranty.Find the GRILL WD PELLLET NAV1150 at Ace.

This

Comment

Working...
                              X