Tunnel V swapping ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tunnel V swapping ends

There is an older tunnel V that I want to take a look at. I have heard about them swapping ends on people before. Seems like most of what I read it happens when people are hammering down on a turn and have their Jack plate way up. There are a couple comments I’ve seen where people have said they didn’t have it jacked way up. Is there anyone that can give any first hand info on this? I really think I want to take a serious look at this boat but the tunnel v swapping has me wondering if I should keep looking. Advice is much appreciated.

This happened to me once in my El Pescador but I was doing exactly what you described. Trying to get up real shallow had jack plate up and motor turned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It happened to me one time in 23ft explorer but I let go of the steering wheel to save my beer!!!!
      But those style boats don't turn sharp period, my advice if you do buy it take it out and see what it’s limitations are and always wear your kill switch!

Comment

You just have to be smart when turning. The more motor you have in the water, the less likely it is for this to happen. Just know the boats limitations and that those boats don’t turn like a modern cat-style boat or pad-vee.

Comment

It depends on the tunnel vee and how sharp the bow or better said how much the vee is in relation to the hull length. I had a 19ft Explorer with a 150 Yamaha. If you google to see a pic of that hull you can see how large the vee is on that shorter hull. It was a dangerous design. If you look at their 21 or a Shoalwater the vee was more gently sloped and not so severe. Some call it swapping ends some say bow steering because what happens is the bow stays hooked up but the back end of the boat does not because of the tunnel and flat back.

I have run boats since I was a kid. It is not user error on some of these hulls. Mine almost turned me into a barge on the intercostal going about 40mph with the jackplate all the way down. I got rid of it the next week.

Comment

It will do it. We had a 19 foot shoalwater stealth. I made it do it on purpose so I would know what it would feel like. It happens quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Just know the limits of the hull, if you push the boat you will learn where that magic spot is. I run a 21 Explorer all the time and tried to get it to spin and it wouldn't. It is all on the length and design. I believe the issue was always with the shorter hulls.

Comment

I run a 24 El Pescador. I have had it “switch ends”. It was my fault. Boat was not trimmed and was going faster than i should around corners. That was early on when i got the boat and didnt know its limits.

Comment

My first boat was a Shoalwater 22 legend. Same hull design as the others mentioned. They will all swap ends on you if you aren’t used to the boat and how to drive it. They all have a V bow(keel) and a flat back end. The keel grabs and the back end slides around. Mine was terrible in quartering swells. The bow would catch and jerk down into the well. Had to be very careful in that situation. The boats are fine as long as you understand why it happens. I didn’t let anyone drive mine that wasn’t familiar with it. Most guys will trim down going into turns with shallow water boats. When you trim down with that hull design it will force the bow down even more making it want to catch. I saw a guy spin a Mowdy coming into the Mansfield harbor. Happens fast. Wear your kill switch and a Mustang when you run. There are lots of them on the water and it shouldn’t keep keep you from running one. Just don’t push it in turns or quartering seas.

Comment

Happened to me once only on our 23 Explorer with TRP. That case was definitely operator error, my buddy was at the wheel and I got tossed.

Comment

Thanks for the input. This boat in particular is 19’6”

Comment

Honestly any boat with a jack plate can do it. I swapped ends in my 21’ flats cat motor all the way up making a hard turn in 4-5” of water and the back spun out.

I’ve been in a 21’ explorer plenty of time with a very dangerous captain and it never happened.

Just use some sense and you will be fine there are thousands of that style boat on Texas waters and you don’t hear about it that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Most definitely!!!
                          I sold mine a couple years ago. Was a custom PIRATE. Same hull as a 21'9" EXPLORER.
                          Had mine swap ends on me several times. The 1st time it wasn't my boat yet, jack plate was stuck a couple inches up, luckily I was by myself just running it in Little Bay in Rock Port. In a slight turn it just swapped ends on me. Only thing that stayed in the boat was my left hand on the steering wheel. Later a new Motor was installed with a new jack plate. A couple years later I
                          bought the boat from my friend & decided to remedy the problem.
                          I built a custom cavitation plate, helped a little bit. Replaced 3 blade prop with a heavy cupped 4 blade prop, also helped with the problem. But no matter how careful I was, it was still dangerous. The next time it spun on me we were headed to fish past the J Hook in POC one Nov. cold morning. A boat was parked blocking the channel after we rounded the corner. While in a turn I let out of the throttle & the boat suddenly did a 180. Luckily we all stayed on the boat ( including the previous owner )
                          I decided to do more tests in Lake Austin. Forced the boat into multiple spins but could not replicate what happens accidentally.
                          It was so bad I would not let anyone ( including my 2 boys ) operate the boat. Decided to sell it ( fully informing buyer of the problem ) & buy a C25 Mowdy.
                          In my honest opinion, I think the problem comes from several factors.
                          That pocket tunnel creates an air pocket that the rear of the boat sits on & cavitates the water to the prop.
                          The sharp V nose can create another part of the delima, it will bite another boat's wake, if in a turn, it will send the transom around. It will also happen running at speed in a slight turn if you have to decelerate, the nose will bite & the transom will break loose.
                          I don't want to go on a rant & tell you not to buy the boat, just be sure you understand the risks & what can happen, it's that important.
                          A lot of people run tunnel V's & have no problems, some have had problems, another friend had a TV shoalwater & threw a 4 guys out of the boat 1 time. All watercraft can be dangerous, just know your craft.

Comment

Have seen it happen more than once with those hull designs and I would never own one just for that reason. Way to many boats out there with better designs/layouts to take a chance.

Comment

Had a buddy that his El Pescador swapped ends on him. Scared the daylights out of you. Can be fun in an airboat, but that’s a whole different ballgame.

Comment

Working...
                              X