Stuck Bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck Bolt

I picked up a new Browning X Bolt yesterday. As it was stainless, I brought it home, dissembled it, cerkoted and reassembled.

This morning, I slipped a spent casing and bullet into the chamber and closed the bolt so that I could determine headspace for reloads. Now the bolt will not open. It will rotate, but will not slide back. It was a little snug closing the bolt, but nothing extreme. I have a sneaking suspicion that the casing is jammed in there and just being stubborn, but don't want to tear something up either.

Have you tried a block of wood and a light tap

Comment

Drop a cleaning rod in the barrel and give it alight tap.

Comment

I got it out with a little light love from a rubber mallet.

But it appears the issue will persist. I took a new unfired case and attempted to cycle the bolt and it was still pretty snug. I may sit on the couch watching the tube and cycle the bolt a few times. I guess it's possible there is a machining burr in there or possibly some of the cerakote snuck in there and is gumming things up.

Comment

Originally posted by 14JKURX View Post
          My concern with doing that would be damaging the lands.

Comment

Originally posted by 14JKURX View Post
            This is what you should do. Done this quite a few times.

Comment

If you did not, full length resize the case, before loading it into another gun. I know my 7mm Rem. Mags. Much of the time. a case fired from one gun, would not chamber in another gun, unless it was full length resized. Sometimes, it would just barely fit into another gun's chamber, but hard to close the bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                If you did not, full length resize the case, before loading it into another gun. I know my 7mm Rem. Mags. Much of the time. a case fired from one gun, would not chamber in another gun, unless it was full length resized. Sometimes, it would just barely fit into another gun's chamber, but hard to close the bolt.
                This is exactly what the issue is. The light bulb had just clicked on right before I came back to this thread.

Comment

New unfired brass gets resized before reloading as well. Try it and see if the sized brass does the same.

Comment

When you blasted the barreled action before applying the Cerakote did make sure
                    the seal the chamber to keep blasting media from entering? That AO can get in the chamber and locking lugs if you are careful and cause issues. Same with the rails. Make sure you remove any media dust

Comment

you sure the coating didnt make it tighter due to thickness of the cerakote?

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
                        My concern with doing that would be damaging the lands.
                        Brass or aluminum cleaning rod--not an issue. The metal is far softer than the steel in the barrel.

Comment

You chambered a fired and unsized case and what held the bullet? The whole process sounds odd.......

Comment

You chambered a spent case fired in a different gun?? Try it with an empty case (no bullet) and then a round fired through the new gun.

Comment

Working...
                            X