buy new or repurpose old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

buy new or repurpose old

Wanting a compact bolt action 223 for my son.

Option # 1. I have a Ruger M77 MKII with a synthetic stock. So buy a wood stock and chop it down to a shorter LOP and send the barrel off to get chopped & threaded or
    Option #2. Buy a new gun for him.

I am leaning #1 since it is a gun I used as a kid and killed tons of critters with... but it has a 1:12 twist I'm thinking and may not handle the 62gr bullets I have been using lately? It was not my first rifle so no real sentimental value and I am not against the idea of selling it to fund option #2

Obviously both have advantages, but when you are in a similar spot which do you prefer and why?

I’d go with #1, check out Boyd’s stocks, you can order them cut to your lip and he can pu Camo color. I put one in a 788 and bullet impact did not change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

First thing I’d do is try shooting the 62 gr bullets in the current rifle. That could make the decision for you.

Comment

Originally posted by texaspyro21 View Post
        First thing I’d do is try shooting the 62 gr bullets in the current rifle. That could make the decision for you.
        Good advice!

I also would not hack up the rifle if you have used it as a kid. Someday you will regret it.
        Don’t ask how I know......

Comment

Originally posted by Dhbwa View Post
          Good advice!

I also would not hack up the rifle if you have used it as a kid. Someday you will regret it.
          Don’t ask how I know......
          I f he can't handle the present rifle, look for something fairly inexpensive until he can. He will be a bigger boy longer than a small youth.

Comment

Also, keep in mind you are probably looking at $150+ to thread the ruger plus another $200 for the stock. Might be better off just buying a Thompson Compass that comes factory threaded and cutting down the cheap synthetic stock. It’s about the same price, especially with the T/C rebate.

Comment

Originally posted by texaspyro21 View Post
              Also, keep in mind you are probably looking at $150+ to thread the ruger plus another $200 for the stock. Might be better off just buying a Thompson Compass that comes factory threaded and cutting down the cheap synthetic stock. It’s about the same price, especially with the T/C rebate.
              This

Comment

Don't touch the 77. He'll grow into it sooner than you think. Go buy a cheap gun to fit to him. You can cut a synthetic stock to fit and put a slip on pad.

Comment

Working...
                X