Brisket didn't stall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket didn't stall?

2nd time this has happened and I'm confused.

Cooking a 15 lb brisket on a Green Egg. I've been using this setup for years without any issues.

Put the brisket on this morning about 4 30 expecting a 12 hour cook. Egg was running steady at 225, probe thermometer in the middle of the point.

Went from 37 to 170 in about 4 hours, and I wrapped it in pink paper. 4 more hours later it's at 200. Straight climb from the time I put it on, no stall.

Last time this happened the brisket turned out ok. Definitely not my best, but fine if you don't know better.

Anyone know why this happens every now and then?

Every brisket is different! Also, because every brisket is different, I'd refrain from pulling them off at a certain temperature and rather pull them off when they probe tender. When your probe slides in with zero resistance, she's done. Mine typically finish around 210-212.

Comment

Uneducated thought on this... I've experienced the same before. I think it has something to do with the marbling content. Less fat. Equals less stall. Less moisture.

Comment

I also do not wrap mine. On the smoker till done. And as mentioned above. I rather feel the texture than the temp. Both kind of go hand and hand.

Comment

Off topic. Sorry OP

Comment

When your probe slides in with zero resistance, she's done. Mine typically finish around 210-212.
            I pulled and put in a cooler at 210. Feels like butter.

I also do not wrap mine. On the smoker till done.
            Making this one for the old lady's birthday. She doesn't like "too much smoke". I think what she wants is pot roast, but I'm not going to lose that argument again.

Comment

Originally posted by TXJon View Post
              2nd time this has happened and I'm confused.

Cooking a 15 lb brisket on a Green Egg. I've been using this setup for years without any issues.

Put the brisket on this morning about 4 30 expecting a 12 hour cook. Egg was running steady at 225, probe thermometer in the middle of the point.

Went from 37 to 170 in about 4 hours, and I wrapped it in pink paper. 4 more hours later it's at 200. Straight climb from the time I put it on, no stall.

Last time this happened the brisket turned out ok. Definitely not my best, but fine if you don't know better.

Anyone know why this happens every now and then?
              Just got a green egg and haven’t done a brisket yet. Just curious, how many times (appx) due you have to add charcoal during the brisket cook? Do you have to take the brisket off each time? And let us know how this one turns out.

Comment

Listen to the pit master and builder of pits!

Probe tender, they are all different.

Originally posted by TC View Post
                Every brisket is different! Also, because every brisket is different, I'd refrain from pulling them off at a certain temperature and rather pull them off when they probe tender. When your probe slides in with zero resistance, she's done. Mine typically finish around 210-212.

Comment

I pulled and put in a cooler at 210. Feels like butter.

Making this one for the old lady's birthday. She doesn't like "too much smoke". I think what she wants is pot roast, but I'm not going to lose that argument again.

Wise choice!

Comment

Originally posted by Payne346 View Post
                    Just got a green egg and haven’t done a brisket yet. Just curious, how many times (appx) due you have to add charcoal during the brisket cook? Do you have to take the brisket off each time? And let us know how this one turns out.
                    Zero. I don’t add charcoal. If you build your fire right, you don’t need to.

Comment

Originally posted by rdorsett View Post
                      Ok-thanks for the reply. Need to watch a few videos and get some tips on “how to build it right.” Assuming you just need to make sure you have the right amount of charcoal in. Sorry…don’t mean to hijack post OP.

Comment

Originally posted by rdorsett View Post
                        This.

On an offset box pit I always built the fire up, then let it drop to temp and worked to keep it where I wanted.

Don't do this with an egg. They hold temp really well, and if you get it too hot it can take a long time to drop back to where you need it.

For a long cook I try to use the large chunks of charcoal. Fill about halfway with charcoal, get it lit, pile wood on top, close it up and let it get to the right temp with light white smoke.

Once the temp is steady you can go to bed and forget about it. You'll have unburnt charcoal left when you're done.

Comment

Originally posted by Payne346 View Post
                          Ok-thanks for the reply. Need to watch a few videos and get some tips on “how to build it right.” Assuming you just need to make sure you have the right amount of charcoal in. Sorry…don’t mean to hijack post OP.
                          PM sent

Comment

This.

On an offset box pit I always built the fire up, then let it drop to temp and worked to keep it where I wanted.

Don't do this with an egg. They hold temp really well, and if you get it too hot it can take a long time to drop back to where you need it.

For a long cook I try to use the large chunks of charcoal. Fill about halfway with charcoal, get it lit, pile wood on top, close it up and let it get to the right temp with light white smoke.

Once the temp is steady you can go to bed and forget about it. You'll have unburnt charcoal left when you're done.
                            Thanks, that helps. So you started your fire, went to bed, then got up and put brisket on at 430am.

Comment

For long cooks, I start a small fire in the bottom of the box and let it get hot. Then I add a few chunks of wood around the outside.

Once hot, I add a large amount of high quality lump charcoal, enough to come up around 3 inches short of my plate setter. Fogo Super Premium is my personal favorite, but plent of good options.

Last I put soaked chunks around the outside. Then plate setter and drip pan.

Once smoke clears, I adjust vents and keep it under 250. Add meat then wait.

Comment

Working...
                              X