Beaumont Exxon union strike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
    At our union represented facility union craftsman have to pass multiple skill level tests to get hired. And, they are required to attend and pass multiple continuing education classes provided by the company and vendors throughout their career. How many of your non-crab contractors are required to do that?

VERY FEW.
    You are lucky if half of them speak English.
    James....be honest with me for a minute.

Could you imagine having a 45 day TA using union labor in your plant?

How far would that schedule and budget slip? 25%, 50%, 75% ? If that ever happens, I hope I get to come run the schedule for y'all......loves me some 7/12's for months on end

Comment

At our union represented facility union craftsman have to pass multiple skill level tests to get hired. And, they are required to attend and pass multiple continuing education classes provided by the company and vendors throughout their career. How many of your non-crab contractors are required to do that?

VERY FEW.
      You are lucky if half of them speak English.
      Having the skill and continuing education doesn't mean much if you know you can piddle, work at a slow pace, do sub-par work and still won't be fired. Give me the non-English speaking hand that does quality work at an acceptable pace all day long.

Comment

Pucker up sweetie.
        So was it hard for you to vote for Biden and the union love Dems? Or did you make peace with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
          So was it hard for you to vote for Biden and the union love Dems? Or did you make peace with it?
          I have never voted for a democrat in my life. As usual… union haters with no real knowledge of what they are speaking about pull those remarks out their butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
            James....be honest with me for a minute.

Could you imagine having a 45 day TA using union labor in your plant?

How far would that schedule and budget slip? 25%, 50%, 75% ? If that ever happens, I hope I get to come run the schedule for y'all......loves me some 7/12's for months on end
            Do you not realize many of the contractors are union? Especially the skilled positions. Some of our refineries are in areas where contractors are required to be union. They do just fine.

Comment

I have never voted for a democrat in my life. As usual… union haters with no real knowledge of what they are speaking about pull those remarks out their butt.
              Unfortunately that is who you are aligned with.

Comment

Unfortunately that is who you are aligned with.
                Sorry. I am not aligned with anyone. If you are aligned with republicans I have fresh news for you. They are mostly rhinos and fake conservatives these days.

Unfortunately I have been forced to vote for the lesser of two evils for most of my voting life.

Comment

Locked out ExxonMobil union workers at the Beaumont, Texas, facility have overwhelmingly voted to reject Exxon's latest six-year labor contract proposal amid ongoing renegotiations since May 1, 2021.

Comment

One thing they failed to mention is how many it takes to decertify. And, even if they decertify from the USW they can still bring another union in such as the Teamsters or Operating Engineers.

Comment

Didn't the union threaten to strike, triggering xom to lock them out?

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cashcropper View Post
                        I dont have a dog in the race but have a couple questions:#1 Folks are saying the lockout isnt fair but was the lockout just EM getting the jump on the union before the union walked out? This way EM could get staffing in place before all hands walked out. #2 News is saying the unions issues are about Seniority,job security and safety. I understand the seniority and job security but what is the unsafe part? Seems like whenever a strike or contract negotiation comes up then the union always says its about safety but noone ever says whats unsafe. Could someone clear this up for me? Thanks
                        Cant answer those questions Mark, except Seniority was a subject of contention on both sides.

Comment

If you need a union to fight your fight so be it. I have never seen the benefit. To each his own.
                          That's an easy argument of an uninformed public. Most of the benefits you enjoy at work now, were gained from the past struggles of union labor. Don't ever think that a company (or government) will put your safety and best interests before profits from the goodness of their heart. The second you give up benefits or freedom, its gone forever. Look at how many companies have gutted their pensions and have contracted & outsourced half of their workforce.

I'm not union now, but during the 2015 National Oil Strike, I was outside the fence at Shell Deer Park for 58 days and friends at the Marathon refinery in Texas City were "locked out" for 5 months. So yes I do support Union Labor. When we finally went back to work, the scabs would file HR claims for "workplace harassment" at the drop of a hat. I sat my hardhat (with union stickers on it) on a desk near a female operator and she claimed it was harassment... even though they could and would brag to us about how much money they made while we were gone.

Comment

One thing they failed to mention is how many it takes to decertify. And, even if they decertify from the USW they can still bring another union in such as the Teamsters or Operating Engineers.
                            If the members are voting to decertify the union, why would they want to join up with another? And, isn’t it 50% +1 vote to decertify?

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
                            Didn't the union threaten to strike, triggering xom to lock them out?

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
                            Think you’re correct.

Comment

I know a couple of folks who’ve been locked out, and both are against the union and ready to go back to work. For whatever that’s worth

Comment

I don’t know anything about these unions. Are some of these Union guys like the UAW Union guys? Making 175K a year in salary and benefits screwing on lug nuts 40 hours a week?

Comment

Working...
                                X