Finally here..again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally here..again!

We left for Wyoming yesterday at about 4pm. Tagged teamed the drive and got to our antelope unit just after shooting light. Hunted in a spitting rain all morning making one stalk on a shooter buck. Got to 209 yards but the drive and the stalk took its toll and I wasn't able to steady on the shooting sticks. Will be at it again in the morning. I'll post an update and pics tomorrow. Lots of goats to pick from. It's been 11 years since I was up here. I got the notion that I wanted to bank points and hunt the red desert. But after that time I realized that by the time I caught up to the max point leaders I would be 71 before I'd be able to have a chance to draw. So I averaged my points with young'un and here we are. Saw several bucks but they were all moving. Saw the target buck at 178 yards in a perfect stalking situation. But by the time I was ready we had to wait for him to move over a ridge. Pics are always an afterthought with me. I'm going to make a concerted effort to do better this time.

Good luck!

Comment

Yall get some JD! The best to yall.

Comment

Get the one you want and don't settle. Above all enjoy the adventure and time with the kiddos. Good luck!

Comment

Second day. On the way to our first spot I spotted a buck and several does. After a short stalk I made a clean shot. He ran about 60 yards and stopped. He looked like he was about to drop. After about a minute I decided to put one more in him and he dropped immediately. Unfortunately, he was quartering away with his head down and the second shot blew through his chest and right through the base of his horn. I'll have to fix that. Not a huge one but we have weather coming in Monday afternoon so we need to make the best of opportunities. Expecting 9 inches of snow starting Monday afternoon so we may need to head out Monday night. I'll post pics in a bit. Young'un had about 5 stalks. We've decided he needs to stalk by himself. One person is easier. So far he considers it a travesty that my stalk was so easy. All skill.

Comment

Thanks for letting us follow along!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great

Comment

I can't wait to chase one in hopefully the near future. Congrats on the hunt and even more so I getting to spend it with your son.

Comment

Congrats on the meat and buck, JD! I hope he gets one too~ !

Comment

Dunno where the paperclip went to post pictures. Not that any are worth looking at. I'll figure it out in a day or so. Young'un struggled with 5 stalks on Sunday and 4 on Monday. We were about to call it when I said I had seen some goats moving through a valley and we should post up in a draw they hopefully would come by. Earlier we had made a stalk to within 300 yards of a huge buck. But with a 40 odd mph crosswind it was impossible to hold. This spot was still windy but lower down the mountain (hill actually). We weren't there long when they started streaming by. He picked the first buck to stop and made a one shot kill at 255 yards with a 20mph crosswind on shooting sticks. We cut up the goat, cleaned up, packed up and left Riverton just when the snow started. Looks like we're going to outrun it. I thought we'd have time to sleep but the snow was upgraded to a winter warning and moved up three hours. We're tag teaming the drive home and hope to be back by 1 tomorrow.

Shout out to Maven optics. We stopped by their facility in Lander so I could have them fix a couple of dings on binos and a range finder. The binos will have to be sent off but they tested the range finder and because it was out of alignment they just gave me a new one. I had dropped it on a concrete floor.

Thanks for the comments. I'll get pictures up eventually.
                    Last edited by jnd1959; 10-11-2021, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Congrats to "your partner in lopes". Looking forward to the pics.

Comment

Get it done!!

Comment

Funny part is daughter goes to Grand canyon university, whose mascot is a lope. Young'un texted her and told her he murdered her mascot.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                            Funny part is daughter goes to Grand canyon university, whose mascot is a lope. Young'un texted her and told her he murdered her mascot.

That’s hilarious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

After a lot of trial and error, I've finally figured out how to post these pictures. Here's young'un with his goat.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	share_0_211015195124_copy_1024x1024.png
Views:	1
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	24665760

Ifn that worked I'll post another.

Comment

Working...
                              X