New Balcones Canyonlands Units?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Balcones Canyonlands Units?

So my son “10 years old” and I were drawn for the E Postcard Archery hunt! I’ve never seen the place but have been doing lots of looking online. Seems like it will be a hard hunt, especially while lugging my son along and bow hunting… From what I’ve gathered, they have opened up these 2 new tracts of land this year?

Two hunt compartments on Balcones Canyonlands NWR totaling 640 acres. Compartment 2-1 (Mouton tract) is 200 acres and Compartment 2-2 (Shaw tract) is 440 acres.

Am I correct? Has anyone seen or know anything about them?
    We are both excited regardless and I’m finally getting to take my son for a true south Texas hunt!!
    Any general info would be appreciated as we will only get to hunt 2 weekends next month.

I noticed that but have no idea if they are new or not. Steve and I were also drawn for the hunt. I'm thinking at least six of us GreenScreeners will be there.

Comment

It's not really a south Texas hunt, more of a hill country hunt as it's northwest of Austin. Dont know about the new compartments but it is a challenging hunt. Spot and stalk will be difficult, especially with a kid. I would set up a stand or pop up blind near a well used trail or creek. I use to hunt there every year until tpwd took over the draws, now I've only been drawn once since.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinBradbery View Post
        I noticed that but have no idea if they are new or not. Steve and I were also drawn for the hunt. I'm thinking at least six of us GreenScreeners will be there.
        Cool! Looking forward to meeting ya greenscreeners lol

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

I will be there as well for the first 2 weekends, the rest of October is eaten up by other hunts. Looking forward to a tough hunt. See y'all out there.

Comment

This hunt is only on 640 acres and there are 20 hunters. 32 acres per hunter?

This is going to make an already tough hunt even harder.
              Last edited by RobinBradbery; 09-27-2021, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Usually that hunt is on way more acreage than that. I think that's just the extra units.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                  Usually that hunt is on way more acreage than that. I think that's just the extra units.
                  I certainly hope so but from all the info they sent it sounds like it's just the two new units.

Comment

That would be very problematic then. When we hunted there were two of us on a 700 acre tract. We spent the time setting on a hill glassing as that was the only why I knew to hunt that property. Had opportunities but the distance was more than I wanted my son, or I, to shoot.

Comment

I just called the area. Yes, the hunt is only on the two new tracts equaling 640 acres total.

Comment

Wow. 30 gun hunters on a square mile. Might as well just line up and do a deer drive.

Comment

Good luck. I live right in the middle of it. There isn't alot of deer but there are some monsters out here.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

I live in the Whitewater Springs neighborhood along Cow Creek and have hunted Balcones quite a bit in years past. It's a hard hunt with a rifle, much more with a bow. Like said above, find a solid trail or water source and sit allllll day.

Comment

I went back and read the first post. I've only been aware of the gun hunts so that's what I was thinking about. Archery makes it a little better but still...

Comment

Working...
                              X