60" vs. 62" vs. longer for 3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

60" vs. 62" vs. longer for 3D

My hunting bows are both 60" Bob Lee TD recurves. At 47# and 57#, I'm not able to shoot many rounds (or shots with the 57#) before I give out and accuracy/consistency is gone. So for 3D, I'm getting either new limbs or a bow in the 38# to 40# range. The question is AMO length.

For shooting 3D, is there any real world advantage to using a 62", 64", or even longer bow? If not, I'd lean toward staying with a 60" bow with similar arrow speed and FOC so all my bows kind of shoot the same.

Thoughts?

Mostly personal preference!!! Some guys will assert that a longer bow is “more forgiving”, but it all comes down to what each person is comfortable with. I prefer 62”-64” bows. I have had 60” bows, but somewhere along the line, decided I liked a little longer better. Don’t really know why, other that that personal preference thing I mentioned above. Now, anything less that 60” is a definite no for me as I’ve had issues with finger punch with every one that shirt I have ever shot.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

There is definetly "some" finger pinch with a 60" and I notice it less on a 64" that I shot this week. So there is that!

I think a 58" or 56" would have far too much pinch, but I've not shot one.

Comment

Longer bows will reduce finger pinch, and theoretically you're reducing the ability to torque limb tips out of alignment with your release hand. There's just more distance between the tip and your fingers, so the angles are smaller. Can you shoot the difference? That probably depends on the shooter, and his or her personal weak points in their shot.

Comment

If this is going to be a target bow, then go as long as you can. If this bow is going to serve the purpose of building form to prepare for hunting, then I'd go with the same set-up that you use for hunting but just lighter limbs (that way its a better carryover to your hunting bows).

The only advantage to a short bow is maneuverability which only applies when you are hunting somewhere that you didn't set up beforehand (spot and stalk in brushy areas, friend's brush blind, small pop-ups, tree stands, etc.). Longer bows are generally going to be more forgiving (string torque, finger pressure changes, and smoother draw). Going from 62" to 64" made a huge difference for me in regards to comfort through the draw cycle and holding position.

Comment

Kinda depends on draw length, at least to some degree.

I "grew up" with short bows so I kinda prefer them. Used to shoot a 52" Kodiak Magnum. Of course, having a ~26" draw didn't magnify the finger pinch quite like a 31" DL would, or even a 28 or 29".

If the 3D is for hunting practice, I'd say stick with present length. If just 3D for the competition of it, longer would probably be best.

Comment

What’s your draw length? it also varies to some degree to the design of the bow. Not all bows are equal when it comes to string angle based on length , riser length to limb length ratio, pad angles, throat of grip forward of center mass, wedge length, taper rates, tip wedges, ect, ect....
              I would call they guys at Bob Lee and get their recommendation based on your personal specs.
              FWIW... I shoot the same setup for hunting and 3d. Same bow, arrows, everything is the same. Just my preference so when hunting season gets here I’m as dialed in as I can be
              Last edited by Randy Madden; 06-01-2021, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by randy madden View Post
                what’s your draw length? It also varies to some degree to the design of the bow. Not all bows are equal when it comes to string angle based on length , riser length to limb length ratio, pad angles, throat of grip forward of center mass, wedge length, taper rates, tip wedges, ect, ect....
                I would call they guys at bob lee and get their recommendation based on your personal specs.
                Fwiw... I shoot the same setup for hunting and 3d. Same bow, arrows, everything is the same. Just my preference so when hunting season gets here i’m as dialed in as i can be
                29" dl.

Comment

Randy nailed it. I don't shoot much 3d any more, but when I did, I used my hunting set-up, just changing out the broadhead for a field point. I shoot longbows and have settled on 64", but have killed a bunch of game with a 66".

Comment

I’m in that group also^^^^. I only have a hunting rig, and I shoot 3D with it too.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by SJP51 View Post
                      29" dl.
                      If you will check the Bob Lee site, somewhere they have a recommendation for which bow length to shoot based on your draw. It might be under the FAQ section. When Daniel and I first tried their bows, Rob explained the concept behind the reasoning. We both have shorter draws and see the most efficiency from 60” bows. As far as feel goes, a 62” feels really good to me, but that’s based on my height, drawn, and personal likes. I shoot 3D with my hunting bows, a 60” BL recurve and a 64” Longbow. I see better scores with the longbow, but I think that has more to do with how it feels in the hand than any advantage gained from the length.

Comment

Originally posted by CamoQuest View Post
                        If you will check the Bob Lee site, somewhere they have a recommendation for which bow length to shoot based on your draw. It might be under the FAQ section. When Daniel and I first tried their bows, Rob explained the concept behind the reasoning. We both have shorter draws and see the most efficiency from 60” bows. As far as feel goes, a 62” feels really good to me, but that’s based on my height, drawn, and personal likes. I shoot 3D with my hunting bows, a 60” BL recurve and a 64” Longbow. I see better scores with the longbow, but I think that has more to do with how it feels in the hand than any advantage gained from the length.
                        Thanks for that.

Don't doubt you, but I sure cannot find it on the BL website.

Comment

Working...
                        X