Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Basic fly tying patterns for bass and panfish.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wooly boogers, bee's, poppers, small mice are some of my go to's on the Blanco.

Comment

My most productive panfish fly is the Bully's Bluegill Spider. Super simple to tie and very effective.

Comment

For stock ponds and slow moving creeks I just tie a simple deer hair fly that is simply a wrap pulled tight to make the hair stand out so it looks a lot like a wasp or moth on the water. Bluegill and bass eat it up. Also deer hair clouser with bead eyes that sinks slow.

Comment

Originally posted by wilded View Post
          For stock ponds and slow moving creeks I just tie a simple deer hair fly that is simply a wrap pulled tight to make the hair stand out so it looks a lot like a wasp or moth on the water. Bluegill and bass eat it up. Also deer hair clouser with bead eyes that sinks slow.
          Not to hijack the fly thread, but I was wondering if you still hunt the raptors?

Comment

Agree with bead chain closer. Different size hooks and bead chain will catch you anything from perch to specs and everything in between

Comment

I have unlimited deer hair and tails. Been trying my hand at dyeing the hair. Haven’t got it down just yet and there’s a trick to working with it but I’m going to keep it up.

Comment

If you can find a copy of Fly-Fishing the Texas Hill Country
                by B. L. Priddy it is the bible of panfish and bass flyfishing for most of Texas. Tells all about each waterway and the best flies for each. JMHO

Comment

If you can find a copy of Fly-Fishing the Texas Hill Country
                  by B. L. Priddy it is the bible of panfish and bass flyfishing for most of Texas. Tells all about each waterway and the best flies for each. JMHO
                  I’ll see if I can find a copy. That would’ve cool to have

Just found one on amazon and got it ordered.
                  Last edited by Hills of Texas; 03-10-2021, 03:56 PM.

Comment

The section of the Llano river west of Castell was a section I fished years ago and was one of my favorites. I also used to catch a lot of white bass on a fly rod during the run at the slab by Kingsland and also Colorado Bend State park. I just tied a blue, silver or white scud (freshwater shrimp) and fished them two at a time. Sometimes a blue back silver or white belly clouser was the ticket. I only live about 40 minutes from Bend so I may have to go do that again sometime.

Comment

Bend in the spring is one of my favorite places to fish. I haven’t been in the last couple years. Got busy and time slips away to fast.

Comment

Working...
                      X