No announcement yet.

Accuracy Issues, Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was gifted a savage recently and could not get it to group. After careful inspection one of the threads was stripped on the scope mounting brackets.
    Bought better scope rings, remounted the scope and was grouping great within 5 shots!

Comment

Vortex is very hit or miss. Id definitely try another scope, especially you mentioning no movement after adjusting..

Comment

You can pretty much check your scope by looking in it while on target and make adjustments. You should see your cross hairs move with each adjustment.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
          You can pretty much check your scope by looking in it while on target and make adjustments. You should see your cross hairs move with each adjustment.
          The 50 yard “bore sight” showed movement of the crosshairs with turret adjustments. I’d have to borrow a scope right now to determine any other differences. This is probably going to have to wait until after the season is over to finalize.

Comment

which vortex is it? Their low end stuff like the diamondback line is notorious for issues

Comment

I was thinking rings not being tightened properly and with some blue lock tight to boot or have they been lapped for the scope to have greater contact with the rings?

Comment

Originally posted by TXUSMC View Post
                I'm going to clean the barrel very well, sand the contact areas out of the stock, re-mount the scope and try to buy some 80ish grain rounds to see what, if any, changes we get.
                You definitely received some interesting suggestions but “you” are on the right path.
                Clean the bore thoroughly, free float the barrel and double check every screw.

I’ve had some fussy 243’s also but you have to “start at the start” which you are.

Once you do all this and if it still doesn’t shoot 2” for three shots starting with a cool barrel. Then I would try one more scope that you can trust. Heck I’ll send you one. A Burris 3-9 that I KNOW is solid....

Let us know..

Comment

Check the crown as stated before, then the action screws on bottom of rifle.
                  Vortex may be the problem .

Comment

Originally posted by Dhbwa View Post
                    You definitely received some interesting suggestions but “you” are on the right path.
                    Clean the bore thoroughly, free float the barrel and double check every screw.

I’ve had some fussy 243’s also but you have to “start at the start” which you are.

Once you do all this and if it still doesn’t shoot 2” for three shots starting with a cool barrel. Then I would try one more scope that you can trust. Heck I’ll send you one. A Burris 3-9 that I KNOW is solid....

Let us know..
                    Many thanks! I will have to come back with an update. I have little time until after the new year but hope to have some good news.

Comment

I have a 243 single shot that was doing the same thing. All over the paper and even off the paper at 100. Change scopes, no help. Neighbor said try the lightest weight bullet you can get. Got some (I think) 75 grain, and it shoots lights out.

Comment

Are you shooting the XS7 with the synthetic stock it comes with? I think the forearm is a hollow core. If you're resting it on a bag or bipod, make sure that it isn't flexing (touching the barrel) and throwing off your shots.

I had the same issue with some of synthetic stocks prior to bedding/floating or swapping the stocks.

Comment

Originally posted by TXUSMC View Post
                          Many thanks! I will have to come back with an update. I have little time until after the new year but hope to have some good news.
                          Sounds good!

Comment

Originally posted by Wanlail View Post
                            Are you shooting the XS7 with the synthetic stock it comes with? I think the forearm is a hollow core. If you're resting it on a bag or bipod, make sure that it isn't flexing (touching the barrel) and throwing off your shots.

I had the same issue with some of synthetic stocks prior to bedding/floating or swapping the stocks.
                            My most recent trip to the range we used the BogPod. I clamp all the rifles at the action, no further forward. Before that I hadn't shot it since before last gun season and that was off of sand bags. Same results. I'm got my J-B paste in yesterday so its going to get a thorough cleaning and stock trim. I just need to find some lighter rounds, all I have is 100gr. I have my eye on some Federal 80gr but none to be had right now.

Comment

Thorough cleaning, barrel floated, Vortex scope, 100gr Winchester power point. Hornady American Whitetail 100gr group was 2.5” as a comparison. The three shots in the picture were to verify it would group, not how I left it.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by TXUSMC; 11-18-2020, 12:29 PM.

Comment

I'd say you got it worked out

Comment

Working...
                                X