Central Texas Beavers and River Otters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Central Texas Beavers and River Otters

Being in my 50,s Growing up in central Texas we never ran across any beavers or river otters and I used to frequent the creeks and rivers quite often. Here recently in the past few years it’s not uncommon to hear about them. Where did they come from?

Always been around. People aren't killing them off anymore, so they are increasing in number and are seen more often

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

From downstream, literally. When folks stopped trapping them they bagan to move as there became more of them. It’s that simple. I had a small problem with them on a place I used to own. They like to build dams so they can get a pond where there’s only a creek. That didn’t bother me much but all the trees they killed did, so some I sniped and some I trapped. Seems like they would come and go because some years I didn’t have them.

Comment

We had issues with beavers on the Leon back in the 90s but I haven’t seen them in years.

Comment

See otters often on the more remote stretches of the Brazos.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

We had beavers wipe out a pecan orchard @ my stepdad place near Waco
            A .270 cured that for awhile

Comment

I have seen otters in the Brazos around Black's bridge west of Calvert since the 70's. There have been beavers in the Navasota since the 90s.

Comment

I have video of otters in the Brazos.

Comment

I grew up in Taylor and one of my mothers uncles trapped quite a lot back in his day. He showed me how to trap and told me there were mink on Mustang Creek and Bull branch that runs south of town and through town. I didn't really believe him about the mink... until I caught two of them. Beautiful milk chocolate color fur with a white crest on their chest. Mounted one of them and kept the fur of the other. I bet they are still there since no one knows about them and trapping is fading away.

Comment

I see both on the creek behind the house until someone up an shoots them. Cool to watch a beaver take a tree down just to limb it.

Comment

Our place backs up to Little Brazos. We see otters occasionally. Beavers are all over, but I havent seen them on our stretch of the Little Brazos.

Comment

See both beavers and otters more and more these days. Father in law had an otter move into his tank behind his house a few years back and didnt know it. He kept seeing a lot of half eaten dead fish all around his tank and he figured it was turtles. Anyrate, before he could figure out it was an otter that sucker about cleaned out his whole tank.

Comment

Originally posted by RibcageX View Post
                          I grew up in Taylor and one of my mothers uncles trapped quite a lot back in his day. He showed me how to trap and told me there were mink on Mustang Creek and Bull branch that runs south of town and through town. I didn't really believe him about the mink... until I caught two of them. Beautiful milk chocolate color fur with a white crest on their chest. Mounted one of them and kept the fur of the other. I bet they are still there since no one knows about them and trapping is fading away.

I have a farm that has land on both sides of the Mustang, that thing is full of beavers but I have yet to see a Mink. That would be a cool thing to see!

Comment

Originally posted by Daddypants View Post
                            We had issues with beavers on the Leon back in the 90s but I haven’t seen them in years.
                            I still see them from time to time on the Leon. I see more nutria than beavers though.

Never seen an otter.

Comment

I have beavers in my lake right now near the Brazos in Waco. Thank God no river otters.

Comment

Working...
                              X