Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom vs Production Rifle

Probably going to start a commotion here but I am
    trying to figure out some of the value you get in a custom rifle over some production guns.

Last year I bought a Sako A7 with a roughtech stock, heavier contour barrel and a muzzle brake in a 6.5 Creedmore for my son. Rifle cost about $1100. It shoots sub .50 MOA all day long.

I have a Browning A bolt 300 mag that I have had for
    many years. It too shoots sub .50 MOA.

I really want to buy a custom but what do I gain for spending more on a custom gun other than stock choice and color? Not trying say it’s not worth the extra money. Just hoping to learn why it’s worth the difference.

If you plan on staying at or under 400-600 yards, probably don’t get anything more than what you already have.

Comment

You will gain a custom rifle to your liking with high grade components all the way around.

That’s about it.

I considered one of the TBH APR specials the last two years but I just can’t justify it when my Tikka’s and Sako shoot <.5” with my hand loads.

Comment

You jump into custom when .5” isn’t gold enough, you reload and want more.

Comment

Like the golf pro tells me...I need to “make my misses smaller”

I am far from a great marksman...I need all of the help I can get and accuracy satisfies my ocd!

Comment

Anybody seen a Begara Premier? Any thoughts?

Comment

Every rifle on the interwebs shoots 1/2" groups. Reality is, not really. Today's production rifles shoot better than ever with most capable of achieving in the 1 MOA range, some better, some worse. I've got a beautiful SAKO 85, comes with a 1 MOA guarantee. Guess what, it's a 1 MOA gun, nothing more. I've got an older Browning Abolt I did some work to, it's a legitimate 1/2 MOA shooter. I've got a Ruger No 1 that shot awful out the box. With some work and good reloads it'll hold about 1 1/4". Went to the range this past weekend with a buddy that just bought a Browning X-Bolt Pro in 6.5 Creed, that thing shoots terrible, as it sits it's a 3" gun.

When you step up to a custom with premium components and workmanship, unless something goes wrong, it WILL shoot REALLY well. You also get exactly what you want, from the stock to the barrel length, contour and twist, to a trued or custom action, to the fancy finishes, everything exactly the way you want it, designed exactly for what you plan to do with it.

I guess my point is, most production rifles shoot pretty good now days. You may get one that shoots great, you may get one that's doesn't. When you find the one that doesn't, good luck getting the manufacturer to back up their accuracy claims.

Comment

The fitment makes a big difference on top of the inherent accuracy. Custom means getting a trigger that breaks right where you expect it to, a stock that welds so that you're immediately on target every time, cycles in a way that you don't have to think about it, and is light enough to carry all day.

There is also the overall economics question of it. By the time you spend $1k on a scope, $1k on a suppressor, $500 on reloading dies, brass, powder, a case, a strap, etc., you're taking about $4500 vs. $5500 for a full hunting set up by going custom - much less by percentage than the difference in rifle alone.

Comment

Better accuracy.
                  0.5 MOA is good and may be good enough for you-- a well built custom rifle will get you to one hole... if you can shoot that well.
                  That said, production rifles have come a long way and only you can judge what is good enough for your money.

Comment

Production rifles as said above are better than they’ve ever been. However, they are mass produce and although you may have 1-2 even a handful that shoot good there are going to be duds. Buying a custom rifle ensures accuracy every single time and will allow you as the shooter to realize your full capabilities as a marksman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Or compromise, buy production and swap out trigger (unless it's a Tikka) and sit it in a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock. That's what I did with a Tikka T3.

Comment

I worked on the barrel channel, put some sweat into it and got it shooting even better than it did. Custom enough for me, which is hunting 500 yards and in.

Comment

Working...
                        X