How much pain am I in for, ortho surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much pain am I in for, ortho surgery

Broke my leg/ankle in 3 places a bit over a week ago. Apparently also tore the ligaments that connect the 2 leg bones at the ankle. Dr wants to basically drill holes in both leg bones and tie them together with wire.

Hoping Im over thinking it, but have a feeling its going to be pretty bad for a while. How bad can I expect it to be? The pain when it happened was pretty intense, then pretty much constant ever since. Getting pretty tired of it already

Originally posted by miket View Post
    Broke my leg/ankle in 3 places a bit over a week ago. Apparently also tore the ligaments that connect the 2 leg bones at the ankle. Dr wants to basically drill holes in both leg bones and tie them together with wire.

Hoping Im over thinking it, but have a feeling its going to be pretty bad for a while. How bad can I expect it to be? The pain when it happened was pretty intense, then pretty much constant ever since. Getting pretty tired of it already
    When I broke my back it was pretty intense but the surgery was pretty easy, it was when I woke up and started rehab that it was tough. Of course I'm an old geaser so you may bounce back quicker and easier.

Comment

I was pretty young when I broke my ankle. Broke the ankle and growth plate, so they did surgery and inserted three screws in my ankle to pull everything back together. The majority of the pain after surgery only lasted a day or so, and it was pretty intense when I stood up and the blood flowed to the ankle after being elevated. Made it hard to get up to go to the bathroom lol. But after a day or so, that pain subsided and it got better every day after that. It was pretty intense in the beginning, but short lived

Comment

You know everybody is different but I've had knee and shoulder surgery. Nothing as drastic as yours but after the first day I only needed Tylenol for pain.

Comment

Dangit Mike. What did you do?

Comment

I have 8 screws and a plate in my right leg/ankle. I'm not going lie to you. It's going to hurt a lot for a long time. If your doctor will let you use an ice therapy machine, get one NOW! You will love the relief it gives if your doctor allows it. Do your therapy exactly as they say! Take your pain meds on schedule. Do not wait until it starts to hurt. Take your pains meds BEFORE therapist visit. I hope I don't discourage you. But, I have been there. Do not hesitate on getting ice therapy machine( I got mine off Amazon) if Dr will ok it. I can't stress this enough.

Comment

On the pain meds! Like a lot have stated Stay Ahead of the Pain! If your scripts are running low order them in no later than Tuesday to make sure you will have them over the wknd! Ice, ice, ice!

Comment

Prayer up for a complete recovery.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s gonna be tough, for a while. Then your body begins to heal. Pray and don’t allow yourself to get over psyched about this. You’ll come through it.

Comment

I had a spiral fracture of my tibia and dislocated ankle. It’s gonna hurt and might hurt for a bit. You’ll get used to it just don’t hit your leg on anything like it did. That’s the worst.

Mine still hurts from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have 3 screws and a plate in my lower leg. Worse part of the injury was the swelling, took forever for it to stop swelling. Keep it elevated and iced but will be hard for you running your own business.

Also if you can use one get a knee scooter its a life saver and will make you way more productive!!!

Comment

I've broken more bones than I can remember, and I've had 4 ortho surgeries. It's all about pain tolerance, and I don't say that lightly, nor am I trying to be smug. I had guys tell me it would take 18 months to recover from rotator cuff surgery; I was mostly recovered in <6 months. It's about what you're willing to tolerate to recover/rehab.

ETA: I had a complete rebuild of my ankle, but I was 17. Healed up quick.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjohntex View Post
                          I have 8 screws and a plate in my right leg/ankle. I'm not going lie to you. It's going to hurt a lot for a long time. If your doctor will let you use an ice therapy machine, get one NOW! You will love the relief it gives if your doctor allows it. Do your therapy exactly as they say! Take your pain meds on schedule. Do not wait until it starts to hurt. Take your pains meds BEFORE therapist visit. I hope I don't discourage you. But, I have been there. Do not hesitate on getting ice therapy machine( I got mine off Amazon) if Dr will ok it. I can't stress this enough.
                          ^^this, listen to this^^

Also, if you are diabetic or have any medical issues, let your surgeon know beforehand.

Comment

Thanks, will check out the ice machine. Never even heard of it. Knee scooter for sure.

The pain meds are an issue. So far I had nothing but the occasional ibuprofens. They wanted to give me something but I cant be doped up. I have to be sober to run the shop. No choice. Have 5 employees now that have to have matl, programs, tools, quote etc. So.Im scewed as far as pain goes.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                              Dangit Mike. What did you do?
                              Doing wheelies on my dirt bike. Was having trouble keeping it up when shifting into second gear. Got a little too aggressive and it came over. I bailed when I knew it was too high, and hit the ground wrong. Heard it snap.

Pulled myself over to the bike to get my head straight, pulled myself on the seat ( on the ground ). I told my son it felt like I was going to pass oit and next thing you know Im waking up. Look at my arm and its fried. Passed out on the muffler.

Tried to stand up and my ankle was squishy. Off to ER

Comment

Working...
                              X