X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
    timeline of events leading to NCSt being sent home

Sunday, June 20
    — The NCAA confirmed that testing the day before the Vanderbilt game revealed no positive COVID-19 test results among all members of the NC State traveling party. NC State was given the all clear to play Vanderbilt on Monday.

Monday, June 21
    — It was a great day for the Wolfpack. They defeated Vanderbilt 1-0 to move to 2-0 in the winner’s bracket. In the postgame press conference, NC State coach Elliott Avent pointed out a few members of the traveling party, including a player, had caught a ‘bug’ and were needing some rest the next few days. He pointed out that ‘other’ players were dealing with this bug, too. The NCAA said they found out later Monday that one of the players who had the ‘bug’ had a roommate removed at some point on Sunday, which created some concern inside the NCAA.

Tuesday, June 22
    — The player that Avent said had a ‘bug’ on Monday, June 21, tested positive in an antigen and PCR test on Tuesday, which deemed him ‘not clear to participate’, and thus was directed to isolate. The roommate of the individual, who was in direct contact, was then directed to quarantine, according to the NCAA. The NCAA later found out that the first individual was symptomatic prior to Monday’s game, which Avent alluded to in his press conference. Avent did not know at the time it was COVID-19, however, just to make that perfectly clear. Avent, assistant coach Chris Hart and others also were tested, and were COVID-19 negative, NC State sources told D1Baseball.

* Avent confirmed to D1Baseball that he was vaccinated in early March.

“We continued to test the close contact in hopes that they could come out of quarantine sooner, and perhaps they could actually play,” Holman said.

— Also on Tuesday, the NCAA sought out NC State to find out which members of the traveling party Avent was referring to when he said ‘some of our guys have a bug’. Those persons were identified, and when tested on June 22, were ‘negative’. “That was great news,” Holman said.

— Between Tuesday and Friday, June 25, NC State attempted to have the roommate of the first individual tested each day to potentially test out and be able to pitch. That request was not granted; though, the individual wound up testing positive later in the week anyway.

Friday, June 25
    — Given the fact that NC State was scheduled to play Vanderbilt at 1 p.m. that day, it was not considered to be a testing day. However, the individual who was in close contact with the COVID positive player was tested in hopes that he would test negative and could come out of quarantine ‘sooner, and perhaps be able to play’. However, that player tested positive for COVID-19. He was then deemed out of action. That gave NC State two confirmed positive tests.

— The same morning, NC State discovered two more players had shown symptoms consistent with COVID-19, so were proactive and sent them over to the Marriott for further testing. Those results arrived 90 minutes before the Vanderbilt game — both members of the traveling party were positive for COVID-19. That took NC State’s COVID-positive total to four. At that point, the NCAA took this matter up the chain to the Championship Medical Team to further evaluate the situation at hand, which is what created the 45-minute delay in the game’s start time. It’s worth noting the two players who tested positive that morning were unvaccinated players.

— At this point, the NCAA informed NC State that unvaccinated players would be removed from the game and only vaccinated players could play in the game. The NCAA gave NC State the option to either forfeit and try to play Saturday or play on with a limited roster. Avent and his team opted to play, though NC State sources say they proposed to the NCAA to play a doubleheader between the two teams on Saturday instead. That request was denied. At the start of the game, unvaccinated members of the Pack team were taken to the Marriott and tested. All of those unvaccinated members of the team were negative for COVID-19, including several prominent players on the roster. None of those players were able to return to the ballpark in time to enter the game.

– With NC State having four positive COVID-19 tests, the team reached ‘outbreak’ status, which then caused the NCAA to get all members of the team tested — including the vaccinated members who played in the Friday game against Vandy. We touched on how it was possible to test vaccinated players, here, a couple of days ago. NC State sources estimate that full team testing occurred around 7:30 p.m., Friday night, and that by 11 p.m., that evening, they still hadn’t gotten word on test results. There’s a lot of frustration from the NC State side of things on the lack of communication during that time frame. Shortly after that point, the results began to trickle in for each player — four players, all vaccinated — had tested positive for COVID-19, with all other players testing negative. Eight total members of NC State’s traveling party had tested positive for COVID-19.

Saturday, June 26
    — According to NC State sources, it was around 1 a.m., that the NCAA informed the Wolfpack that they were declared a ‘no contest’ for Saturday’s game against Vanderbilt and thus their season was over. It was then that all COVID-negative players decided to make the trek over to TD Ameritrade Park for one last picture behind home plate after a somber meeting with head coach Elliott Avent and his staff. With eight positive tests and impending contact tracing, the NCAA’s point of view was that it would be impossible for NC State to finish the tournament, while also caring about the health and safety of participants. Of course, that reasoning will be hotly contested by those who saw countless sendoff and welcoming parties at different team hotels around downtown Omaha over the past two weeks.

— All COVID negative members of the NC State traveling party returned home to Raleigh and were greeted by thousands of fans at a welcome party at Doak Field. Those members will now have to quarantine for at least seven days, including Avent, who is scheduled to report to USA Baseball on Wednesday, June 30.

Sunday, June 27
    — All COVID positive members of the NC State traveling party returned home to Raleigh via. private flight from Omaha’s Eppley Airfield.

No matter your stance on this issue, it was a dreadful way for NC State’s magical season to end.

But you now have the facts. Draw your own conclusions.

IMO, had the NCSt HC not said a word about a player having the "bug", the NCAA would have never investigated the matter. Dude was to open and honest with the media which opened Pandora's box

I was just reporting what i heard from a former D1 HC/Omaha regular. I hope it wasnt due to negligence or bad decisions but bad situation all around. I was pulling for them to win it all.

Comment

Funny how many vaccinated kids showed up positive and how many non vaccinated showed up negative. Covid sucks, Covid protocols suck more and the NCAA, well they have a track record of sucking the hardest.

Comment

I would hope all the kids went and experienced Omaha. I just talked to a kid that was there and he said awesome experience. Said people all take care of you and he said his fingers hurt from signing baseballs for kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
          Not how it was explained to me from a typically reputable source but who knows. Sounded like a few went out for some fun when they weren't supposed to but i didnt ask questions.

I mean if im in the drivers seat to play for a Natty, dinner with gf, beers at hooters or sneaking out can absolutely wait due to the ramifications of Covid. Hell the NBA put em all in a bubble lol.
          You are naive. Are you aware of the NBA 'cheating' rule?

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
            I would hope all the kids went and experienced Omaha. I just talked to a kid that was there and he said awesome experience. Said people all take care of you and he said his fingers hurt from signing baseballs for kids.
            Great experience for all there. Honestly though, there's not much going on when it all comes down to it. And they shouldn't sign autographs if they are a prospect.......They should however be cordial and respectful as they are being welcomed with open arms.

Comment

From talking to players on the team here is the current status of the nc state roster to this day still.
              JT Jarrett (2nd basemen) tested positive and was the person who was said to have the bug.
              He was no longer with the team as he was positive and would not be allowed to play the rest of the tournament solely based on timing and he wouldn’t be cleared by the time everythi f was said and done.
              Evan Justice was put in quarantine due to being his roommate. Still has not tested positive to this day.
              Every other player that missed fridays game to this day is yet to pop positive.
              The only players to test positive outside of JT Jarret are the vaccinate players.
              The entire roster outside of JT had 6 negative test from the point of arrival in Omaha to when they were DQ. Then the vaccinated players popped positive which is anyone’s guess.

Like everyone else this is just what I’ve been told by a pretty credible source being his is with the team but no one will ever really know all the truth about why the decision was made which is unfortunate
              Go dawgs.
              Last edited by Gclyde12; 06-28-2021, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Rain delay in Omaha

Comment

2021 College Baseball

Rain delay memes

Last edited by 150class; 06-28-2021, 05:49 PM.

Comment

I guess I'm pulling for Vandy.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post

Come on BoB, you know you like the Dawgs more!

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post

Comment

Go Dawgs!

Comment

This kid McLeod, looks scared.

Comment

Going to be a show tonight

Comment

I don’t hear a lot of cowbells ringing, but I hear that **** whistler!!

Comment

Working...
                                X