Canning 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canning 101

Wife is wanting to try her hand at canning...I know we have a bunch good folks that have been in the game for a while.

For you spert canners, knowing what you know now what recommendations & advice would you direct a newbie starting from ground zero??

~Vids / sites / forums??

~Any / all Equipment & other essential must haves??

I'm a buy once / cry once kinda guy so if she's really gonna jump into this, I want to do it correctly outta the gates best we can.

Gracias!!

I've always liked the videos from Whitebone Creations. He does a pretty good one on canning and here's the link. Be careful though, because you might click on it and get wrapped up in a bunch of his other videos and spend lots of time watching them.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD9y55z7HV4"]HOW TO CAN, CUT, COOK, AND STORE, GAME MEAT - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Do you guys go on Reddit? Reddit.com/r/canning. Lots of good info and will take you to good resources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Get you a copy of the Ball Canning Manual. It will guide you through water bath canning, pressure canning and other processes. It's well written and illustrated.

Comment

^^^^^^ this great book.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            Get you a copy of the Ball Canning Manual. It will guide you through water bath canning, pressure canning and other processes. It's well written and illustrated.
            Either of these it??

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
              This!

Comment

Either would probably be ok but if I were to choose it would be the first link. I would PM Mr Charlie to get his opinion. The book I have is 8 to 10 years old. I have a couple of pressure cookers that are 5 to 6 years old, I wanted to learn the old ways. There are different level of pressure cookers you can purchase and different sizes of course.

Comment

Yeah, I want to get the original so I simply went to amazon & assumed it would be the most popular & got this...no big deal as it looks like some ideas, but it's not old either & radar went off.

I think the B&N link is the right one too, but wanted to confirm the author.

Comment

Following

Comment

Get the Amazon one. It will have methodology in it moreso than the other one that is focused on recipes that looks like mostly water bath canning...

Comment

Canning 101

Check out Rose Red Homestead on YouTube. She does a videos on recipes for canning as well as other aspects of prepping. She also follows a scientific method for testing equipment and showing real world results.

We focus on three simple themes: Emergency Preparedness, Food Security, and Self Reliance. If difficult times are coming, we want to help our channel community be as ready as possible to sustain themselves for an extended period of time and to assist others when possible. You will find videos on safe canning, dehydrating, freeze drying, gardening, and preparedness projects from safe water storage to cooking off grid. Here are some important links to our information: Our Bookstore where you will find our books and our online courses: https://payhip.com/roseredhomestead Website: www.roseredhomestead.com Our Amazon Stores: RoseRed Homestead: https://roseredhomestead.com/amazon-rosered Trail Grazers: https://roseredhomestead.com/amazon-trail-grazers New channel--Trail Grazers: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTaNTFpvoFKqlU5OUyynPbw Website: www.roseredhomestead.com

I have a Presto 23 quart stove top canner as well as 2 nesco electric canners. You will see different opinions on the Nesco. My sister has used it for years with no problems.
                        The electrics are good as you don't have to baby sit them as much as the stove tops.

The cream of the crop is the All American canners. Folks love them also but they are pricey.

Just thought of something else. I like the wide mouth jars for canning. Easier to fill, empty and clean. I’ll use regular mouth for broth.
                        Last edited by sv2100; 06-02-2023, 08:30 PM.

Comment

I have an All American 15 quart and I use the manual that came with it.

Before you can anything, verify the recipe is from a reputable source like a company and follow it exactly..

Comment

I don't know that this link will work (it's "Canning peaches" by GR5 but I miss both Michael and Marilyn so I am going to seif it does. I still don't have the hang of my new phone.

Comment

^

Comment

Working...
                              X