No announcement yet.

Lease Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have 300 acres with no neighbors hunting your deer probably aren't living on your 300 acres. I would get all parties together and see what each of their management goals are. I would keep the place and try to get alone. I had a similar situation last year. I talked to my new neighbors about 2 young deer that had potential to be great deer. They were 4 yr olds. We looked at the pictures we talked about letting them grow another year of two. The Hunter 3 miles away had pictures of the same young beautiful 12 pt and thought he was only 3. Well. Guess what my new neighbors shot both the deer. I overhead someone ask them the other day if they have shot anything and they said that they messed up last year and haven't seen any older deer. I've got an older 9 that won't score much and a 3 yr old 8 and hopefully they didn't get killed over thanksgiving.

Comment

In any other situation I would have a FTF convo and would have hashed out expectations and goal before hand. With this being a family deal I've been biting my tongue. BIL's dad is a bit eccentric and tends to talk past you so I doubt it would do much good. I just wondered what other hunters in Texas are in as far as leases. I've been to leases where they were very structured and strict on management one even had rule on not shooting doe after thanksgiving to keep the deer numbers strong thinking all the doe were bred by the end of November and that way the fawn crop for the coming year was protected. Maybe it was to encourage guys to take doe? I'd like a lease that somewhere between no rules like where I am, and not shooting doe after Thanksgiving. That was my main point with the post, what are folks seeing as far as structure, and do you feel you are getting good bang for your buck?

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
        If you have 300 acres with no neighbors hunting your deer probably aren't living on your 300 acres. I would get all parties together and see what each of their management goals are. I would keep the place and try to get alone. I had a similar situation last year. I talked to my new neighbors about 2 young deer that had potential to be great deer. They were 4 yr olds. We looked at the pictures we talked about letting them grow another year of two. The Hunter 3 miles away had pictures of the same young beautiful 12 pt and thought he was only 3. Well. Guess what my new neighbors shot both the deer. I overhead someone ask them the other day if they have shot anything and they said that they messed up last year and haven't seen any older deer. I've got an older 9 that won't score much and a 3 yr old 8 and hopefully they didn't get killed over thanksgiving.
        The older deer seem to be surviving (at least three are as of the week before Thanksgiving). I agree, I doubt they are living on our place, but to me our property could become a very frequented property if managed well. Your experience is my concern, once the young deer are shot, you don't have mature ones.

Comment

If they're blasting deer and making a ruckus, use it to your advantage to hunt the older smarter deer. I wouldn't give up on the place if the price is right. Try to be positive...life is too short for drama.

Comment

Kudos for being a good hunter OP. Shooting 2-3 year old bucks doesn’t benefit anything or anyone. Have a nice FIRM conversation with FIL. He’ll probably never change his tactics but it’s worth a shot. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald G View Post
              He has a history of posting stupid comments.
              Hilarious? Thanks

Comment

600 yards? If they're really that far away, they're probably bothering you more than actually bothering the deer. If you're seeing good deer on camera, then ignore the other hunters.

Comment

The father needs to go pound sand when people are hunting and it’s the BIL that
                  Needed to handle it because his father has a attitude problem with communication, leases have a waiting list of years don’t throw the baby out with the bath water

Comment

It sounds like you realize you are odd man out between the BIL and FIL. I would hunt it and enjoy time with my family. You are paying but it sounds like a good deal for you so you may not want to upset the apple cart. Maybe you give it some time to see how things shake out over the next couple of years. I would let the BIL set and enforce the rules. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
                      It sounds like you realize you are odd man out between the BIL and FIL. I would hunt it and enjoy time with my family. You are paying but it sounds like a good deal for you so you may not want to upset the apple cart. Maybe you give it some time to see how things shake out over the next couple of years. I would let the BIL set and enforce the rules. Good luck!
                      Now this sounds like a reasonable solution (for now) given your present situation. Good luck and just enjoy hunting.

Comment

From what I read, you are fighting a loosing battle. Sounds like a great place being no pressure surrounding the land. If the Bil, I call mine Dabil, is leasing the place for hay it must be fairly open land. Everyone wants something different from a lease, sounds like 3 people are getting what they want out of it and you are not. If the price is good, accept it for what it is and learn to not let the things you can’t control irritate you. If you’re going to sit out there everyone weekend irritated and ******, might as well leave and let someone else have it. You couldn’t pay me to hunt a place that I go to every weekend just to get mad.

Comment

Life is too short. I'd move a long it always works out for the best.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

You will never find a lease without issues. Whether it's the other lessees, landowner, distance, money, neighbors, no deer, or whatever. It sounds like a generally good place, if you enjoy hunting and you think there is a remote chance to shoot a mature buck, stay and adjust. Hunt when they aren't there, hunt as deep in the woods as you can, sit all day. Maybe it's the wife's first buck and she was super excited about it. Hunt the way you hunt and let them hunt the way they hunt. Find bigger negative issues in life to concentrate on and enjoy all the positives with what you have.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

You're taking it too seriously for what it is, hunt it and have fun and leave the stress at the gate. You're not wrong in your complaints, but they're in the right setup and you're reaching down in quality. You won't change it so just enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by TexEnv View Post
                                My bother and I have gone out of state as well. I assume you're on public going out of state? If you've found private land leases up north would send me a PM?
                                Lol, I had sane idea but sent him a pm. If you find anything and need an extra guy please send me a message

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X