Auto chip shortage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto chip shortage?

What ever happened with the chip shortage?

6-8 months ago I heard new cars/trucks were stacking up all built out except the chip. People were thinking once chips were made these 2021's would flood the market?

Auto makers stop making vehicles? Were they never really filling lots with mostly built trucks?

There's no trucks on the car lots for sure. What I'm hoping is once the 22's are out and the 21's will be discounted to get rid of them. I doubt that will happen but I'm hoping.

Comment

I've heard (second hand from a supposedly "in the know" resource in the car business) that a lot the 2021s will be crushed, to make room for 2022s.

Comment

There still is a chip shortage. The few semiconductor companies in Texas were set back by the winter storms when electricity and gas was cut off. It can take a semi plant several months to get back into full production. Now the problems is getting chemicals and labor. I heard one company in Austin gave 7% pay raises to semiconductor workers because people were leaving.

Comment

First come first served. Ive heard custom truck orders paid/paying are pushed to the front of the line and expedited for production. Rumor? Its the way cars had been sold in 40-50s….via custom catalog.

Old school in a new age…as opposed to flooding the market with vehicles…makes sense for the manufacturers. Stifle supply. Increase prices. Genius.

Comment

I heard the shortage was easing. I also heard the automakers had record profit per unit in 20-21. I heard that based on that it might be several years before dealer lots are full again. That they might just keep it built to order and charge full price vs filling lots across the USA and selling vehicles for deep discounts.

As a business owner myself if you told me there was a viable way for me to reduce my production and scale things back while making the same money, I certainly would.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Comment

The sales model for autos doesn’t make much sense. Tesla’s sales model rocked the boat a bit and I bet after this Covid situation the major auto companies may have opened their eyes a bit on how inefficient dumping a load of cars to sit on a lot for months and months is. Custom order makes a lot more sense.

Comment

Put my 2022 on order about a month ago.

Typical build time used to be 8 weeks. Order confirmation stated 14 weeks.

We shall see.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                  Put my 2022 on order about a month ago.

Typical build time used to be 8 weeks. Order confirmation stated 14 weeks.

We shall see.
                  Did you pay sticker or was it marked up excessively?

Comment

There was an article put out today, Ford's GM said there would be a shortage next year also. This is good for business, their profits are up.

Comment

Didn't '21s just become '22s? If they vehicle had no changes from model year 21 to 22, what is to stop a manufacturer from simply saying, "ok, this is now a '22?"

Comment

Originally posted by Ungawa View Post
                        Did you pay sticker or was it marked up excessively?
                        Not sure, I haven’t seen the invoice yet.

Fleet vehicle, so I doubt sticker.

Comment

We bought a 2022 car in late June. Every bell and whistle. Paid 10K over sticker...

Comment

Definitely still a chip shortage we usually have 1000+ new vehicles we have about 38 new vehicles

Comment

Ordered a truck Oct 8. Received build date of Dec 20 and supposed to take delivery mid-Jan. Paying sticker price.

Comment

Working...
                              X