Bear Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bear Question

I drew a bear tag for Colorado this year and am thinking about a rug or a robe for the hide.....how do you have black bear processed to eat? I have never shot one or ate one....

Had mine made into summer sausage and the back straps steaks. Was amazing and best summer sausage I’ve ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hang and clean just like a deer, but it’s kind of a job due to the fat and caution required for skinning for the rug.

Meat is decent. Fairly greasy but good for BBQ, sausage, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
        Hang and clean just like a deer, but it’s kind of a job due to the fat and caution required for skinning for the rug.

Meat is decent. Fairly greasy but good for BBQ, sausage, etc.
        Im certain there is more than one way to skin a bear...lol...I will be watching several videos to try and get educated.

Comment

I had mine butchered like a deer, steaks, ground and what not. I didn't find my greasy and it wasn't gamey. I skinned mine out whole and let the butcher shop deal with it. I did a euro mount on the skull and tanned the whole hide. I had then turn the head before tanning so I could make a mount out of it later and not have to spend the $1.2k to do a rug right away.

The weird thing is skinning them they look like people skinned.

Also just as a FYI you have to get them checked by the game warden within 24 hours. If you can't find one you can call the local police and they can dispatch one to check it out.

Comment

I killed mine in Oregon in 2018. I talked to an old timer there at the market who said that a high elevation bear eats berries and ground bees and such and is much better tasting than a river bottom bear that mainly eats fish. He claimed that he had killed over 20 bears in his lifetime and that this was always the case. Not sure is there is an ounce of fact to it, but my bear was taken high in the hills and tasted excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have killed and eaten 3.
              I had them cut up like a deer and I found them excellent.

Comment

i think a robe would be the coolest. bear skin robe, fine cigar, and a good drink....pimpin' aint easy!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ArcheryNerd View Post
                  I had mine butchered like a deer, steaks, ground and what not. I didn't find my greasy and it wasn't gamey. I skinned mine out whole and let the butcher shop deal with it. I did a euro mount on the skull and tanned the whole hide. I had then turn the head before tanning so I could make a mount out of it later and not have to spend the $1.2k to do a rug right away.

The weird thing is skinning them they look like people skinned.

Also just as a FYI you have to get them checked by the game warden within 24 hours. If you can't find one you can call the local police and they can dispatch one to check it out.
                  lol...... The look like people thing.....was a little freaky in the dark in the middle of no where.

Comment

Originally posted by sambo73 View Post
                    i think a robe would be the coolest. bear skin robe, fine cigar, and a good drink....pimpin' aint easy!!!!!
                    Made me laugh!

Comment

Look on YouTube for Brian Call:Gritty. He kills a lot of bears. Cans the meat. He shows the process from hunting to processing. Quality videos.

Comment

I have never taken one but a two were shot at my camp in NY years back. The most important thing is to get it skinned and in the cooler quickly if the temps are above 40degrees. Bear meat spoils super fast. I have eaten Bear stew and steaks. It is greasy.

Comment

Originally posted by sambo73 View Post
                          My thoughts exactly!

Comment

We processed a bear for a buddy of mine this year. Simply ground the meat and it made the best burgers. This was a spring bear, so a fall bear may be different.

Comment

Working...
                            X