Sump pump plumbing help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sump pump plumbing help?

Planning to use a 1/4 hp sump pump to pull water from my creek to the garden. The water outlet is 1½" and I'd like to reduce to ¾" garden hose. Do I need to gradually reduce to ¾",or can it be done with one fitting? If gradually, how far between reducers, and how much can I reduce at once? Also, the instructions recommended a check valve. I'm assuming this needs to be 1½" placed close to the pump? Thanks!

Just one reducer. If it's a self priming ubmersable pump I don't see any need for a check valve

Comment

A check valve can help speed up priming if you are lifting it from far away. It will keep water in the suction pipe if there are no leaks. How far are you pumping? The smaller the discharge pipe the more friction, the more head you will need which will give you less flow. If it’s a sub, no check valve needed.

Comment

I would put some screen wire on the bottom of the pump. You don't want to suck up mud and leaves or sticks that can plug the pipe or damage the impeller.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
          Just one reducer. If it's a self priming ubmersable pump I don't see any need for a check valve
          Originally posted by Chadhender View Post
          A check valve can help speed up priming if you are lifting it from far away. It will keep water in the suction pipe if there are no leaks. How far are you pumping? The smaller the discharge pipe the more friction, the more head you will need which will give you less flow. If it’s a sub, no check valve needed.
          Originally posted by doright View Post
          I would put some screen wire on the bottom of the pump. You don't want to suck up mud and leaves or sticks that can plug the pipe or damage the impeller.
          We're planning on putting the pump in a 5 gallon bucket with holes drilled in it. It's going to be about 50 feet away, with about 10' elevation. It's a submersible sump pump.

Comment

Working...
          X