Sea Sickness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
    Eat popcorn and drink Big Red first, then get in that tackle box. Won't help at all with the seasickness but it sure looks pretty coming back up!
    Now that is funny as hell and I bet it has been shared by many of captains.

I deep sea fished many of times and never got sick until I went out when I shouldn't have. Now its not a matter of if but when unless its glass but I still go every opportunity I get. Its absolutely mental but the patches are the best thing and put it on the night before. One of the doc in the boxes will prescribe it for you if you walk in and explain what you are doing.

**Warning** If you drink a bunch of beer with that patch behind your ear it will slow the revolutions of earth to a screeching halt. Not drunk just slow motion.

Comment

I've never been see sick but I have heard looking at the horizon and if possible and safe get in the water for a few minutes

Comment

And contrary to some opinions here. It's not mental. I couldn't ride a merry go round in elementary school without getting sick.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
          And contrary to some opinions here. It's not mental. I couldn't ride a merry go round in elementary school without getting sick.
          I'd say that example is proof it is mental. I never mentioned sea sickness or motion sickness to my two daughters when we went out on my 23' Malibu in some decent waves and to this date, they never got sick. It is a mental thing. BTW, I had my quests swim with a life preserver when they started to get green around the gills.

Comment

Yep it's mental. I never heard of motion sickness either but I got in in my mind after it threw up. All mental for sure. My ***.

Comment

Whatever medication you use, be sure it is not drowsy. They make over the counter tablets, or you can easily get a prescription patch. ALWAYS begin taking the meds/use the patch at least the day before. Then do your best to stay busy on the boat, laying down or staring at the floor only makes it worse. I work in the Bering Sea on all sorts of commercial fishing vessels (yes deadliest catch) for NOAA, I've seen some rough **** and never once gotten sick.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                Yep it's mental. I never heard of motion sickness either but I got in in my mind after it threw up. All mental for sure. My ***.
                Well, Walker, it is a mental thingee. Its called, psychophysiological. Look it up. Simply, mind over matter. Some people have it, some don't.

Comment

I hear if you take a bunch of bananas with you and eat them out on the boat, it works as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                    I hear if you take a bunch of bananas with you and eat them out on the boat, it works as well.
                    The reason that works so well is because when you bring out the nanners, your mates will chunk you overboard, thus curing the sea sickness instantly!!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                      The reason that works so well is because when you bring out the nanners, your mates will chunk you overboard, thus curing the sea sickness instantly!!
                      I didn’t say it worked, just that it works.

Comment

I've never been sea sick.
                        But, I sympathize with those that have...(including, my daughter)

Except, those big tough marines, we picked up in Okinawa...
                        Three miles out... They were the same color, as their camo...

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                          Ha ! You bring bananas onboard a boat.
                          One of you, is going overboard...

Comment

Have never had problems but have family members that do. I thinks its all mental but I am not a Dr. A few things that work for my sister and father who both suffer but love being out there anyways.

1. Do NOT go below deck unless you absolutely have to. Not worth it unless necessary.
                            2. Fresh air, cool drinks, and salty/acidic foods help. Pickles, Granny smith apples, olives, grapefruit.... you get the idea.
                            3. Rarely seen my family get sick while we are on the move or catching fish, it happens but way less likely. This is what makes me think it is mental. In my experience it is in slow fishing periods when the fishing is slow and there is nothing else to focus on. Keep them occupied doing something no matter how small.

Funny that I am 1/2 English and 1/2 German. Father is German and sister looks like his side, they get seasick. Myself, mother, and brother favor the English side and none of us get seasick.

Anyways, get out there and enjoy the open ocean!

Comment

Originally posted by Gigem2019 View Post
                              Have never had problems but have family members that do. I thinks its all mental but I am not a Dr. A few things that work for my sister and father who both suffer but love being out there anyways.

1. Do NOT go below deck unless you absolutely have to. Not worth it unless necessary.
                              2. Fresh air, cool drinks, and salty/acidic foods help. Pickles, Granny smith apples, olives, grapefruit.... you get the idea.
                              3. Rarely seen my family get sick while we are on the move or catching fish, it happens but way less likely. This is what makes me think it is mental. In my experience it is in slow fishing periods when the fishing is slow and there is nothing else to focus on. Keep them occupied doing something no matter how small.

Funny that I am 1/2 English and 1/2 German. Father is German and sister looks like his side, they get seasick. Myself, mother, and brother favor the English side and none of us get seasick.

Anyways, get out there and enjoy the open ocean!

This is silly, Im German (Wendish) and rarely get sick and had hundreds of trips in my younger days.
                              Almost got sick on a snapper charter one time, but it was very rough.
                              Almost 100% of the passengers were laying on the deck by the time we headed back, the captain waited to get quota for everyone. I was helping reel in others snapper cause they were laying down everywhere.
                              Even the deck hands were laying down when we finally left.
                              I dont think it was mental

Comment

Originally posted by txhunt7 View Post
                                This is silly, Im German (Wendish) and rarely get sick and had hundreds of trips in my younger days.
                                Almost got sick on a snapper charter one time, but it was very rough.
                                Almost 100% of the passengers were laying on the deck by the time we headed back, the captain waited to get quota for everyone. I was helping reel in others snapper cause they were laying down everywhere.
                                Even the deck hands were laying down when we finally left.
                                I dont think it was mental
                                Sounds like a rough trip. This is just my personal experience and something we joke about amongst my family, not meant to be exact science. Maybe this helps someone and maybe it is just an anomaly.

Have a great 4th and Prost!

Comment

Working...
                                X