Grazing Lease Contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grazing Lease Contract

Morning Green Screen, My neighbor asked if we'd be open to letting his cattle graze on our place. I'm open to the idea but could use a little help when it comes to the actual lease agreement. Any idea where I can find a template agreement that I can use as a starting point? Is there anything in particular that I should put in the agreement? He's a good guy, good neighbor, and we have a good relationship but life taught me long ago that good written agreements help keep things that way. All suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Get it in writing for sure

Few things to consider
    Those who lease grazing rights many times will overgraze to squeeze every pound out of the cattle that they can for the price they pay for the acre or for the head…not sure how many acres you have to lease out but I’d definitely want to cap the number of head that can be on it…

Comment

google it on the net. Should find some. A&M had one on a webpage .

Comment

May be tough to cap the nunmber of head. If he does roatational grazing he may have alot on it for a short period of time. If its just a matter of opening the gate and letting the cows go from his place to yours and back.

If not and he has to load and haul cows over there. Then you could limit the head count.

If nothing else there needs to be some verbage in there atleast about overgrazing and its whatever the land owner determines is to much and needs to be pulled out or lease is terminated.

Fence maintenance etc. needs to fall on him as well. Ive been very lucky to have a couple good lease places with very little to no issues. Usually its a win win.

Comment

Farm Service Agency in your county may have a very basic lease agreement template. TAMU has some publications on it and can get pretty complex if that is what you are looking at.

Comment

All great advice. Thanks y'all.

Comment

Working...
            X