Alaska brown bears we've been busy!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
    Wow that is impressive. Is bear any good to eat or is it an acquired taste? on a scale from Aoudad to Oryx
    Can't speak for the browns but a black that has been on a berry patch is honestly a delicacy. I've heard spring browns/grizz can be decent if not been on a kill yet.

Comment

I don’t know many folks that eat them. They eat so much nasty stuff throughout their lives that parasites are a given with brownies. We skinned one up in the brooks range that had worms so bad, it looked like his guts exploded with pasta. That ruined me on ever trying brown bear meat.

If you do try it, I would limit it to a roast or sausage. Something that you will cook very thoroughly and won’t destroy the quality of the meal.

Also, you’ll know as soon as you start skinning it whether it’s worth a try or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Wigeon Kryp2nit View Post
        Nicely done. I think everybody shoots a dink for their first bear, I sure did w my first blackie.

Whereabouts are you? I don’t come on this forum much, but im in Kenai.

I’m in Wasilla

Comment

A few pics at the house
          Attached Files

Comment

That is a big animal with teeth and claws

Comment

Originally posted by Wigeon Kryp2nit View Post
              I don’t know many folks that eat them. They eat so much nasty stuff throughout their lives that parasites are a given with brownies. We skinned one up in the brooks range that had worms so bad, it looked like his guts exploded with pasta. That ruined me on ever trying brown bear meat.

If you do try it, I would limit it to a roast or sausage. Something that you will cook very thoroughly and won’t destroy the quality of the meal.

Also, you’ll know as soon as you start skinning it whether it’s worth a try or not.

There is an interview with Steve Rinella where he talks about getting trichinosis from eating undercooked black bear.
              [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx5ZKJ0Vozc&t=2s"]Steven Rinella Explains How He Contracted Trichinosis on an Episode of MeatEater - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Those are some beasts of bear you got there. Congrats!

Comment

I'd say the second bear was a big improvement, congrats.

Comment

Awesome congrats

Comment

Awesome bears MrSlam. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by lbbf View Post
                        There is an interview with Steve Rinella where he talks about getting trichinosis from eating undercooked black bear.
                        Steven Rinella Explains How He Contracted Trichinosis on an Episode of MeatEater - YouTube
                        Steve got it from a black, all bear meat needs to be cooked thoroughly. I have never shot a blackbear that wasn’t excellent to eat. The meat on both my browns was definitely something I wouldn’t eat and doubt my dogs would touch it. I’ve heard there are good ones out there, I’m guessing the mountain bears would be better.

Back from fishing, and was planning on getting this thread going with some bait site pics and how I bait. But forgot to make some stink buckets, plan on going Sunday and setting baits.

In the meantime prepping for the next sit.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Are y’all baiting the brown bears?

Comment

congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                              Are y’all baiting the brown bears?
                              Yea I’m in a predator management area, which is a two bear area, and as of July 1 will be open year around due to lack of harvest.

Comment

Originally posted by tradslam View Post
                                Yea I’m in a predator management area, which is a two bear area, and as of July 1 will be open year around due to lack of harvest.
                                That’s awesome.

Is it open to non residents or is it just resident only ?

Comment

Working...
                                X