Good fishing spots - Corpus/Mustang Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good fishing spots - Corpus/Mustang Island

Will be staying in Corpus, and hit up the usual spots. Will have all the usual tackle for live bait, surf fishing, pier fishing etc. Son has all his fly tackle, and wants to get into some reds bad. Any info would be appreciated. Don't mind driving a little to get to somewhere new. We do okay, but I wouldn't say we tear them up. Usually depends on the year. Thanks!!

Surf was full of grass last few days.

Comment

Just north of bird island there is a big sand flat that might be a spot to fly fish. Only been there by boat so I don't know how much of a walk it is from bird island.

Comment

I just looked a satelite photo and that flat starts just a short around the basin.

Comment

We have done ok big and little shell beaches fly fishing the surf if conditions are right (wind)

Comment

I would wade the back side of the island. You can walk the flats around Deadman's hole and Kate's hole for reds on a fly. Also Wilson's cut has a lot of reds this time of year and you can wade all around in there. You have to have a moving tide. They will be on the drop offs cruising. Back side of the island will also shelter you a little from the SE dominant wind.
            Last edited by captainsling; 06-26-2022, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
              I would wade the back side of the island. You can walk the flats around Deadman's hole and Kate's hole for reds on a fly. Also Wilson's cut has a lot of reds this time of year and you can wade all around in there. You have to have a moving tide. They will be on the drop offs cruising. Back side of the island will also shelter you a little from the SE dominant wind.
              This, and tide movement isn’t always needed. Find bait and you will find fish. That and you will be surprised how far out you can walk to find good fishable areas.

The infamous Wilson’s cut hole, aka ‘Not so secret, secret hole’.

Buddy told me once that he found a secret hole back in a flat near Wilson’s cut.

We showed up at sunlight one morning to fish it only to find 2-3 other waders and a hand full of kayakers already set up in it. Hahahaha.

You can also look at Fish Pass area as well (aka the elbow).

Disclaimer. I haven’t fish an6 of the area since Harvey though.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post

Very good advice here. Back side of Deadmans and Kate's hole is money most of the time for catching reds. Have also caught a ton of flounder back in there too. If you can get all the way back in there to where the laguna meets cc bay there's a big sandbar with oysters scattered around. Ton of reds get up in there. Wilson's cut is good too

Comment

Thank's for the info. Very much appreciated!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                    Just north of bird island there is a big sand flat that might be a spot to fly fish. Only been there by boat so I don't know how much of a walk it is from bird island.

195 yds, if this is the spot you are talking about. The redline is the trail.

Comment

Originally posted by TradHunter View Post
                      195 yds, if this is the spot you are talking about. The redline is the trail.

That's it. Never waded it but drifted the edge in my boat. If the tide is good there should be reds on the sand, if not try the dropoff.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                        This was the first spot that came to my mind when I read the post. One of my favorite spots to take the family is a little north of there where you can beach the boat on the dunes. Kids play while I fish.

You will see fish up on the sand flat, I've caught reds and black drum on it. In a lot of spots the flat kind of "steps" down with a strip about 1' deeper than the flat and about 3-6' wide before dropping again to the grass beds. This gives you 2 pieces of structure to fish right next to each other. Walk north and fish the edges, but as you go keep an eye on the flat for fish up shallow. There is miles of easy walking right there on this spot.

Comment

Any guide recommendations? Wife is to buy me one for a Father’s Day gift.

Thanks,
                          Bruce

Comment

All of the above, if your wading North of wilsons cut the sting rays get pretty thick in there,
                            so shuffle, but water is shallow and usually crystal clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bruschu View Post
                              Any guide recommendations? Wife is to buy me one for a Father’s Day gift.

Thanks,
                              Bruce
                              Jesse Torres

Comment

Working...
                              X