Texas Elk Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
    Texas their number one disqualification is no formal season. The historic home range argument is one random biologist agruing against the Merriam's elk as a separate sub-species.

They have to be real careful on dna or there are alot of sheep slams that will end up with Two Dalls instead of Dall and fannin as the stone

Even when they had a season they were still ineligible for entry.

IMO it doesent make a whole lot of sense to forbide an Elk from Texas against entry in B&C.

its just as wild an elk as elk taken in other areas of the country.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
      Even when they had a season they were still ineligible for entry.

IMO it doesent make a whole lot of sense to forbide an Elk from Texas against entry in B&C.

its just as wild an elk as elk taken in other areas of the country.

We are also talking about a foundation that post pictures of hunters with animals for a fee, why chastising pay to play, and land owner rights all while claiming to be fair chase and about conservation. It’s either about the animal or the hunter not both. If you are going to create a scoring system to highlight conversion success in regards to age, genetics and nutrition then stick to it and just put the animal in the books. That’s my thoughts atleast. Just another corporation trying to dictate how we should hunt

Comment

Yep. I guess I'm not anti-B&C, but I certainly don't care at all what they think about anything. I don't agree with their thoughts on much of anything. The whole net score deal is nuts too. Just measure the total inches and give the critter credit for growing all of them.

I don't know that B&C is doing any harm. They just aren't doing it right.

Comment

One day I’ll spring for a high fence hunt and pop one. I think they are averaging about $7,000.00 for 300”. I thought about taking my son to the High Adventure Ranch in Missouri but it’s a little too far for me.
          Last edited by Hogmauler; 06-22-2022, 02:56 PM. Reason: Add content

Comment

We were there last year last week of September and first week of October

Comment

We were on low fence large acres

Comment

Contact Burton Hunting Services Kenny Burton

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                  Yep. I guess I'm not anti-B&C, but I certainly don't care at all what they think about anything. I don't agree with their thoughts on much of anything. The whole net score deal is nuts too. Just measure the total inches and give the critter credit for growing all of them.

I don't know that B&C is doing any harm. They just aren't doing it right.
                  Had this conversation the other day…..B&C was initially designed to showcase exceptional specimens during a time when they feared they were going extinct.

Fortunately, the NA model of conservation prevailed and these species are now plentiful. The scoring system had great intentions but is very antiquated and placed a premium on the aesthetic of symmetry, thus the deductions and “net” score. Me, I’m a “ give them credit for what they grew” guy but the entire record book would have to be re-written if they went to that.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                    Had this conversation the other day…..B&C was initially designed to showcase exceptional specimens during a time when they feared they were going extinct.

Fortunately, the NA model of conservation prevailed and these species are now plentiful. The scoring system had great intentions but is very antiquated and placed a premium on the aesthetic of symmetry, thus the deductions and “net” score. Me, I’m a “ give them credit for what they grew” guy but the entire record book would have to be re-written if they went to that.
                    Yeah, they'll never change. No need to. But there's also no need for me to care about what they do or whether I paid them to put any of my animals in their book (if I ever kill anything big enough). I'm just as happy seeing some guy's trophy animal and knowing what it's gross score is and seeing how cool it looks without it ever being sent in to B&C or any other entity. A trophy is still a trophy to me.

Comment

Yeah, they'll never change. No need to. But there's also no need for me to care about what they do or whether I paid them to put any of my animals in their book (if I ever kill anything big enough). I'm just as happy seeing some guy's trophy animal and knowing what it's gross score is and seeing how cool it looks without it ever being sent in to B&C or any other entity. A trophy is still a trophy to me.
                      True dat

Comment

When it comes to a typical scored animal gross score tells you absolutely nothing. It’s the net score that counts for symmetry. Without symmetry you have nothing on a typical scored animal.

When it comes to non typical I don’t see where it mattters as much.

Comment

Pecos Elk were native to Texas. The elk never left. The numbers were knocked down for a number of reasons but always the vast majority on private lands and somewhat unavailable. Nebraska, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Kentucky, etc were more "elkless" and reintroduced and are now considered B&C worthy....for whatever that is worth. Texas has no public land to hunt elk for the most part. I personally think this plays a big part in the organizations that think people need a piece of paper to justify their accomplishments.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
                            Pecos Elk were native to Texas. The elk never left. The numbers were knocked down for a number of reasons but always the vast majority on private lands and somewhat unavailable. Nebraska, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Kentucky, etc were more "elkless" and reintroduced and are now considered B&C worthy....for whatever that is worth. Texas has no public land to hunt elk for the most part. I personally think this plays a big part in the organizations that think people need a piece of paper to justify their accomplishments.

Historically, there were always elk in the trans pecos but they were not known to be widely spread and there is some controversy over whether or not they might have been merriams. There known range was always in far west Texas near El Paso….there were no mention of elk around big bend, sanderson or alpine in historic records….they were further west.

There is also a good herd of elk currently in the interior of Mexico north of Saltillo but I can’t say if those were brought in some time ago, there are also buffalo herds in Sonora but I can’t say if they were remnant herds from the 1800’s

A lot of the elk in the states mentioned were killed out in the late 1700’s and early 1800’s….they out a hurt on them with flintlocks apparently.

I visited upstate New York and man did some of that country look Elky. So far New York has not gotten on board with re-introductions
                            Last edited by txtrophy85; 06-22-2022, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Customer sent me this on Saturday
                              Attached Files

Comment

Merriam's Elk probanly aren't a real subspecies. There would have been elk on the southern plains as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X