RV Trailer for Half Ton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RV Trailer for Half Ton

Never been down this road before always have had a camphouse but our new lease is going to have 10-16 people at any given time and I’d rather have a trailer. With that said any recommendations for a trailer that can be towed behind a half ton?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My camper is 32’ with 2 slides and has a dry weight of 8400lbs and I have towed it with my Tundra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

With RVing getting so popular in the last few years most mfg are making half ton towable trailers. I see them all the time now...

Just remember... most half tons will pull trailers up to 10K lbs but you have to stop them as well...

Comment

What Cool Hand Luke said. I find it much more important to be able to stop it than ability to pull.

Comment

You have to consider the weight of everything that is loaded into the trailer and into the towing vehicle also. As stated above , you have to start at what you can safely stop before you think about the pulling.

Comment

If you are going to be using a 1/2 ton you may need a transmission cooler added unless it has a tow package. I`ve towed a 24' TT, 27' FW and 30' TT all with a 1/2 ton. The 30' TT was at or passed its limits, and I bought a 3/4 with a diesel. Huge difference in the towing and stopping with a 3/4 ton. Better to be safe than sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by tpack View Post
              If you are going to be using a 1/2 ton you may need a transmission cooler added unless it has a tow package. I`ve towed a 24' TT, 27' FW and 30' TT all with a 1/2 ton. The 30' TT was at or passed its limits, and I bought a 3/4 with a diesel. Huge difference in the towing and stopping with a 3/4 ton. Better to be safe than sorry.
              Yep, those TT’s are huge PIA’s on the highway, any type of wind , simi truck passing , emergency/ blowout
              and anything over a 7500lbs is going to get sporting with a 1/2 ton , even with a 3/4ton diesel I see folks in big trouble pushing the envelope on trailer sizes

Comment

Guess I should have clarified. I'm not looking for anything over 21'. I don't intend to use this all over the country. Just a comfortable place to sleep where I don't have to share with any one else.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas89 View Post
                  Guess I should have clarified. I'm not looking for anything over 21'. I don't intend to use this all over the country. Just a comfortable place to sleep where I don't have to share with any one else.
                  That size you will be fine. Half ton easy. Just get you a good weight distribution hitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas89 View Post
                    Well then if pulling one way or very seldom, I think driving slow and with good tires and brakes and a distributor hitch , use your common sense and comfort level

Comment

Be VERY careful with a lot of the newer “lightweight” RVs when using a weight distribution hitch. A lot of RV manufacturers are ordering light weight frames in order to save weight. Those frames are barely adequate for the weight of the RV. When you add a weight distribution hitch, if you hit a pot hole or go off of a paved road then you run the risk of bending the frame where the tongue is attached to the frame. There are LOTS of videos on YouTube about this.

So if you get one of these RVs, unhook the weight distribution hitch before turning off of the paved roadway.

Comment

I have just at many TT towed miles with a 1/2 ton as a 3/4 with the largest being a 28' bumper pull. The half ton had a tow package and airbags. It pulled and stopped a 24 and a 26 footer just fine.

sure there are benefits to 3/4 but no sense buying a new truck in this crazy world to tow the trailer a few times a year

Comment

Problems happen when pulling a trailer with a half ton truck most often when you are not experienced, or become complacent. Just because your truck can doesn’t always mean you should.

Just because you can do 75 mph doesn’t mean you should.
                          Just because the trailer is stable on the highway doesn’t mean it will always be stable.
                          Just because you can stop easily doesn’t mean you always will.

Take some precautions, slow down, keep an eye on what the weather is doing, maintain situational awareness, and keep a good distance between you and the person in front of you especially when slowing down and you will more than likely be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                            Problems happen when pulling a trailer with a half ton truck most often when you are not experienced, or become complacent. Just because your truck can doesn’t always mean you should.

Just because you can do 75 mph doesn’t mean you should.
                            Just because the trailer is stable on the highway doesn’t mean it will always be stable.
                            Just because you can stop easily doesn’t mean you always will.

Take some precautions, slow down, keep an eye on what the weather is doing, maintain situational awareness, and keep a good distance between you and the person in front of you especially when slowing down and you will more than likely be fine.
                            Appreciate the input. Never bought a camper but have pulled more trailers that weight a lot more times than I can count. Driving experience isn't a problem.

Comment

We have a Grand Design 221RB which is a little longer than you are looking for. I pull it with a Nissan Titan Pro4X with no problem. This one might suit your needs. Grand Design Imagine XLS 17MKE. Good luck in your search.

Agree with the above on speed and sensible driving.

Comment

Working...
                              X