Slowly building my collection of old reloading components

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slowly building my collection of old reloading components

In the last two years, I have found more old reloading components, than I have in many years. So many people dug out old stuff and put it up on the internet, with the shortage of components.

A while back I found a guy who had three boxes of old Nosler bullets and a couple of boxes of old Remington bullets. The main reason I bought the bullets, is the guy had a box of Nosler Zepedo bullets. I have been a Nosler fan since the mid 80s, I don't ever remember hearing of Zepedo bullets. So I got a box of those and a couple boxes of old Partitians. Then two boxes of old Remington Core Lokt bullets.
    I also managed to pick up an old box of CCI 200 primers. Getting single boxes of primers turned out to be harder to do in the past two years. Many guys were selling 70 to 80 year old primers in big lots and acting like they were 7 month old primers and wanting near current prices on new primers. I was not going to buy more than a couple boxes of any type of old primer, then definitely was not going to use them. I finally managed to find a guy who would sell me one box of old primers for the collection.

I also picked up some old 38 Special brass, then some semi old 38 Special brass and loaded 357 Mag. ammo.
    Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 08-13-2022, 08:54 PM.

Pretty cool

Comment

That’s really cool. I just got a lot of reloading stuff from my great uncle.

Comment

Originally posted by capt1brooks View Post
        That’s really cool. I just got a lot of reloading stuff from my great uncle.
        That's a great way to start a collection. I started collecting old reloading components, back in the 80s. A friend of the family had been reloading for years. I had been reloading for a couple years at that point. I was still a teenager. He gave me a old can of Bullseye powder. At the time, it was probably a 20 year old can, it was older than I was. I thought it was cool and have kept it all these years.

Comment

Nice collection, "Shoot the World's Most Modern Bullet" on Nosler box is very cool.

Comment

Some nice additions!

Comment

Originally posted by 3ChordTruth View Post
              Nice collection, "Shoot the World's Most Modern Bullet" on Nosler box is very cool.
              Yes, I thought that was pretty cool, also. That world's most modern bullet, is still around and very popular.

Comment

I have some 157 and 57 primers I’d like to get rid of if you’re interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The Nosler Zipedo bullets are from the early to mid 1960’s. I acquired several hundred years ago in 6mm / 80 gr. They were advertised as a varmint bullet but killed deer stone dead, like lightning. The machined rings or bands resemble a Barnes triple shock bullet.

The Remington Power Lokt is from the same era. They were designed as a match bullet with a cupped base. Both bullets should be very accurate. Only problem, you can’t find them anymore.
                  Last edited by Cajun Blake; 05-17-2022, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info. The Remington looks like it is supposed to open up quickly. It has cuts in the jacketing from the nose, back about 1/4 of the length of the bullet. I am not going to shoot them, just keep them around for display. But knowing some info on them would be good to know.

The Zipedo, Partitians and the Remington bullets are all 6mm. Kind of curious what Nosler's thinking was when they designed that Zipedo bullet. It's definitely a different designed bullet.

Comment

sorry if these pics below are to large, they were copied from the inet.

the Zipedo bullet was designed as a target, and hunting bullet. The slits allowed the copper jacket to open, expand, and act like a petal when it contacted an animal (deer, coyote, rabbit)

One thing to remember, Benchrest shooting was hugely popular in the 1950's - 1960's. The 222 was the king of the mountain and dominated the winners circle. This Zipedo was a bullet that could do everything. The .243 entered the scene and around this same time. Remington F'd up by calling their own cartridge creation the .244 and went with a slower 1:12" twist. After dismal sales in the 50's, Remington changed the name in 1963, re-branded it to 6mm and went with a 1:9" twist faster twist. The .243 Win had already established itself as the best "6mm cartridge" and Remington could never catch up. As a reloader, I believe the 6mm Rem is > the .243 Win. Sadly, I can't think of one factory built rifle today that is chambered in 6mm Remington. EVERYBODY offers a .243.

most of what I know today about reloading was shared and taught to me by benchrest shooters who participated in this sport from the 1960's through 1980's. These guys were personal friends with John Nosler, Walt & Eunice Berger, Ed Shilen, Mike Walker, and others who made bullets. These aforementioned names have all passed away . My mentors are currently in the 70's and 80's as I talk to them as much as I can to gain knowledge and learn about the past. When they're gone, it means I'll have to carry the torch to educate others.

Last edited by Cajun Blake; 05-18-2022, 10:01 AM.

Comment

The Zipedo’s bring back some good old memories. Growing up we had a neighbor never knew his name everyone called him Dutch or ole man Dutch he was a bench rest shooter and reloader. Dutch is the one who got me interested in reloading and and bench rest shooting. Well ole man Dutch’s favorite load for everything was them Nose Ler Zippy Doo’s in his 243.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                          sorry if these pics below are to large, they were copied from the inet.

the Zipedo bullet was designed as a target, and hunting bullet. The slits allowed the copper jacket to open, expand, and act like a petal when it contacted an animal (deer, coyote, rabbit)

One thing to remember, Benchrest shooting was hugely popular in the 1950's - 1960's. The 222 was the king of the mountain and dominated the winners circle. This Zipedo was a bullet that could do everything. The .243 entered the scene and around this same time. Remington F'd up by calling their own cartridge creation the .244 and went with a slower 1:12" twist. After dismal sales in the 50's, Remington changed the name in 1963, re-branded it to 6mm and went with a 1:9" twist faster twist. The .243 Win had already established itself as the best "6mm cartridge" and Remington could never catch up. As a reloader, I believe the 6mm Rem is > the .243 Win. Sadly, I can't think of one factory built rifle today that is chambered in 6mm Remington. EVERYBODY offers a .243.

most of what I know today about reloading was shared and taught to me by benchrest shooters who participated in this sport from the 1960's through 1980's. These guys were personal friends with John Nosler, Walt & Eunice Berger, Ed Shilen, Mike Walker, and others who made bullets. These aforementioned names have all passed away . My mentors are currently in the 70's and 80's as I talk to them as much as I can to gain knowledge and learn about the past. When they're gone, it means I'll have to carry the torch to educate others.

Thanks for the info. I like to learn everything I can. Now that I think about it, I have never really read or found much info, hunting bullet or any other type of bullet, that was made before my time. I have read a lot about bullets that have existed, since I started reloading in the mid 80s. I have read a lot out many calibers, that came out way before I was born, but nothing about the bullets that would might be loaded into those calibers. So really I was only getting part of the story on those older calibers.

Yes, I completely agree on the 243 and the 6mm Rem. I have said the 6mm Rem. was a better designed caliber for years, but Winchester definitely won the 6mm short action caliber battle.

Those adds, were definitely before my days of reloading. I never saw $3.95 for a box of 100 bullets, definitely not Nosler bullets. I think when I started reloading, a box of Sierra rifle bullets or Speer rifle bullets, was around $8.00. I think I remember seeing prices of $7.85 and $7.95.
                          I remember when I was 13, I got my first 7mm Rem Mag. I went to K Mart and bought boxes of Remington 150 Core Lokts for around $13.95 a box. When boxes of 308 or 30-30 or 243, were only around $8. something a box. Everybody told me I was crazy, for having a gun that shot such expensive ammo. So I got into reloading a year or so later. My favorite bullet for the first 8 years or so, was the Nolser Solid Base bullet. I sent many 150 gr. 7mm Solid Base bullets down the barrel of three different 7mm Rem. Mags. I would shoot barrels out, in a few years to a coupe years, when I got older, had more money and could afford to shoot more, I shot the barrels out faster. Burnt up two Ruger 77 factory barrels, then two Douglas barrels. Then one Shilen barrel.
                          Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 05-18-2022, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X