Rem 700 Long Action Standard Bolt Face

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rem 700 Long Action Standard Bolt Face

What to do, what to do with it. It is currently chambered in 270. I am a left handed shooter as well as both my boys. This is a right handed gun and I plan on building something that kids and first time hunters can use. It will probably end up in a KRG Bravo unless I can pick up a different used stock for decent money. I really wanted to do a 240 Weatherby with a fast twist barrel, but brass is tough to find and Loaded ammo is almost as hard to find and very expensive. It will be getting a new barrel regardless. I guess my question is what should I make it. I already have a fast twist 25-06AI to shoot the heavies and it has been a dream. Wanting something a little different. Maybe 6-06 or 6-06AI? Leave it a 270 do another 25-06? 280AI? I don't mind it being a barrel burner as it will be a hunting rifle after load development.

Would love to hear some other opinions.

Thanks

I was going to say 25-06 but see you already have an AI.

Sure would make it easier to have a bunch of the same pills, primers, brass, and powders.

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
      I was going to say 25-06 but see you already have an AI.

Sure would make it easier to have a bunch of the same pills, primers, brass, and powders.
      That thought has crossed my mind, but it doesn't really scratch my itch if you know what I mean.

Comment

280ai

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrail18 View Post
          280ai
          If it was going to be my rifle, it would be 280AI with out a question. I really don't want to run a brake on it. I also like heavy for caliber bullets and feel the need for speed. I don't think that would be kid friendly enough. That is really the main purpose of the rifle. I do have plenty of 168 Bergers that would shine in the 280. I think I am still leaning towards a 6MM tho.

Comment

6.5-06?

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
              6.5-06?
              I forgot about that one. For some reason I just never look at the 6.5's very much

Comment

6.5x284

Comment

280 AI. Would be a good step up from 25/06 AI. Could go 168 gr bullets or heavier and is a real thumper

Comment

I shoot 168s in mine, it is a standard weight rifle and recoil is not bad at all....and i hate recoil. My ultralight 7mm08 kicks more than it does.

Comment

The 280ai shooting 120gr is a very tame laser...

Comment

I am going to go the Remage route and it looks like 280AI will give me more barrel options. Still havent talked myself out of a 6-06 yet tho

Comment

6.5-280AI. Simple neck down from 280 AI, minimal fireforming (if any) required.

Run a 7-7.5 twist to run heavy cup/core or lighter weight monos to scratch your speed itch.

I’m running a 260AI with 125 Badlands monos at a very comfortable 3150 with zero pressure signs. You’d likely gain 100-150 fps in a long action cartridge.

I’m testing 150 ABLRs right now at just under 3000fps.

24” barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

6x284. The benefits of a fast little 6, but with excellent quality brass that’s actaually available (6.5x284 Lapua necked down).

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                              6x284. The benefits of a fast little 6, but with excellent quality brass that’s actaually available (6.5x284 Lapua necked down).
                              I like the thought of that but I have a ton of brass for the 30-06 family. 270,280,and 30-06.

Comment

Working...
                              X