No announcement yet.

Off season hunter chore list:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=SabineHunter;You've been hunting the wrong areas, you have to go way back and off the beaten trail.[/QUOTE

There’s some big deer to be had in the NF for sure. Ive seen a few come out that would be trophies in anyones book. The trouble with “ you gotta get way back and off the beaten trail” is I’ve heard the same thing for years from 100s of folks. Seems to me that the “ backwoods” should be covered up with hunters too.

Comment

eliminate coons... eliminate more coons..... and THEN eliminate coons

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
        Did I say anything about YOU?
        BELIEVE ME, I have exactly ZERO desire to run into you ANYWHERE.
        Charlie, "Jack Q Public"? c'mon, stop playing stupid games. BTW, we did meet last weekend and after I introduced myself, you extended your hand to me.
        Last edited by SabineHunter; 04-06-2022, 10:27 AM.

Comment

[quote=Gumbo Man;16168983][QUOTE=SabineHunter;You've been hunting the wrong areas, you have to go way back and off the beaten trail.[/QUOTE

There’s some big deer to be had in the NF for sure. Ive seen a few come out that would be trophies in anyones book. The trouble with “ you gotta get way back and off the beaten trail” is I’ve heard the same thing for years from 100s of folks. Seems to me that the “ backwoods” should be covered up with hunters too.[/quote]

You are right, in a way, but way too many people are too lazy to make it to the 'backwoods".

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
            Kill pigs
            Keep feeders filled
            Plant Cow Peas
            Kill more pigs
            Make repairs to blinds
            Kill some more pigs
            Maintain roads
            Kill some pigs
            Try to find cheaper protein
            Kill pigs
            Keep clearings and road ways mowed
            And last but not least, kill some more pigs.
            I like the way you think !

Comment

What happened to “the new you” that apologized so profusely and promised to be a better person ? You lose him in the backwoods somewhere ? It seems to me the smart azz never left, just camouflaged himself.

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
                What things do you work on, maintain or improve?

Please add to this list of ideas to help others….
                Feeders & cameras have always been on my list.
                But this year, the list has grown exponentially!

At the end of this last season I pulled both of my feeders and both blinds.
                Feeders were hanging style out of trees, now going to stand-n-fills. All feeders will get bigger, external power supplies.

4x4 blind has gotten a new floor, insulation, carpet, and will soon have 12V power and lights. This will become my daughter's "new" blind.

A new big blind is planned to be built to replace the old 4x6 that my daughter previously hunted. An 8x8 is in the works using multiple 4x8 concrete forms. Two shooting spots, two fold-down bunks, fans, 12V power, lights, and maybe a few other condo-type amenities!

Also, cameras are getting bigger, external power supplies.

Since we now have limited access to the lease (September - January), I need my setups to be able to last all year long without any maintenance. Lofty goals, I know. But I have to change my tactics to adjust for the current situation.

Cameras have already been taken care of and are in the testing phase of the new power supplies. I've already had to make some tweeks here & there.

The big blind will start in the next 2 weeks.

(I need to get off the green screen for a bit and get back to work!)

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                  Charlie, "Jack Q Public"? c'mon, stop playing stupid games. BTW, we did meet last weekend and after I introduced myself, you extended your hand to me.

And this response is just yet another example of what I told you in private that I will now say publicly, If you live to be a hundred and stay IN Texas the rest of your life, you will never BE a Texan. Your New Jersey DNA smart arse attitude is just who you are. I have no desire to meet you (again), nor have discussion with you. Yes, I shook you hand because you extended yours to me and that's just who I am. I was courteous to you because of your wife and again, that's just who I am, but don't push it. I don't like you and that's not going to change.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple 7 View Post
                    We have a spring close to camp that I plan on building a spring box and use a ram pump to provide fresh water and not have to haul water in. I need to widen roads and use a box blade to smooth them out.
                    We have a spring I was going to do the same thing for but after some debate we added a rain catch system off the camp roof. We put 4 of the 250 gallon tanks in a row and it filled up 1000 gallons with one good rain. Just put up a gutter with the leave catching sponge material inside to keep out debris. So far working well.

Comment

We have our place in pretty decent shape, and it's more of a comfortable family place than a hardcore hunting lease. Every year we generally set up a new stand or two, move stuff around a little bit to make it more effective than the season before, fix stuff that's broken, plant a few food plots, etc. etc., but we don't have any major projects planned as of now. a couple of seasons ago we built and placed some high quality box blinds, and that was our last major project.

Comment

This year we are having to put pens around all our feeders on our hill country lease. The first 4 years on the place were amazing with no pens and no pigs. Two years ago we had some move in, but mostly came at night when all the corn was gone.

This year, it got horrible. Negatively affected the hunting big time. We pretty much fed only pigs unless we were there to shoot one right when they came out.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                          Did I say anything about YOU?
                          BELIEVE ME, I have exactly ZERO desire to run into you ANYWHERE.
                          Lol.

I love it!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Below is generally what our office season looks like. In addition, there is generally something around camp or feeder, stand that needs to be repaired plus we trap coons every work trip. every now and then we come up up with some bigger project that we will do as well, last one was building a cover over the skinning rack.

January - on our last hunt we fill all corn feeders and turn to one time per day & fill protein feeders

April work Trip - any blinds that need to be repaired/painted etc., any stands that we want to move, spray round up around camp as needed, mow camp if needed, test all feeders, fill corn & protein and cut firewood.

July - test all feeders, fill corn & protein, trim roads, spray roundup & mow camp, put out game cameras.

September - test all feeders, fill corn & protein, reset feeders to throw twice/day, swap SD cards in cameras, mow camp, safety check all tree stands, trim shooting lanes at tree stands, kill wasps in gun stands, fill propane tanks.

Probably something I'm forgetting

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
                              This year we are having to put pens around all our feeders on our hill country lease. The first 4 years on the place were amazing with no pens and no pigs. Two years ago we had some move in, but mostly came at night when all the corn was gone.

This year, it got horrible. Negatively affected the hunting big time. We pretty much fed only pigs unless we were there to shoot one right when they came out.
                              We did that and threw a couple anchors in between tposts so they can't push up the bottom and it has been a blessing

Comment

-Trap and kill pigs
                                -Trap and kill yotes
                                -Move east gun stand to old drill pad site
                                - Build 2’ platforms for 5 Krivomans
                                - Trim trail to Ridge Stand
                                -Add gun blind to Ridge location
                                -Build gun range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X