Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Travel trailer or Class C RV for solo travel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel trailer or Class C RV for solo travel?

I am planning on retiring in the next 18 months and plan on spending the first year or so traveling across the US. Most of the trip will be solo but still want something with 2 beds and a little space so a class B isn't going to work. I own a 2014 Tundra but likely will buy a newer Tundra before then.
    What are the pros and cons of each for those who have owned them?

Unless you would plan to pull a vehicle behind the Class C you wouldn't have a vehicle to run errands, explore, etc. With a travel trailer you can take your truck if you need to go grab something, explore, etc.

Comment

Well my dream was always a Class C towing a rag top Jeep. We had a 23 travel trailer and towed it for 15 years to New Mexico in the winter months. My wife thought that was good enough so we settled to travel that way. She has since passed away, 3 years ago today and now I can do what I want and don't have the desire.

With that, you may want to look into that option. As you mentioned a Class B would be a bit small and they are just as expensive as the Class C and some Class C's are powerful enough to tow your Tundra. My dream mentioned above took place 22 years ago when I retired and there have been many times I wished I would have pushed my wife a little harder. It is your dream, go for it.

Comment

Sorry - I have no information relevant to your question... but I'm very interested in your transition from the work world to retirement. You are a relatively young man if I remember right. As you feel generous, please share your successful path to retirement and your plan in retirement.

Thank you in advance.
        Last edited by A&M 90; 03-24-2022, 12:35 PM.

Comment

As mentioned above, the class C can tow a vehicle behind it and you have the ability to leave the camper and drive around and explore in the jeep / truck or whatever you pull. I will be doing this in the next 5 years hopefully. We have a small Rpod camper that is great for just the wife and I. You might look into them. They are very light and easy to hook up and go. We pulled it though out Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and Idaho a couple of years ago with my f150 and it was not trouble pulling the mountains.

Comment

If you are going to spend a lot of time driving, I personally would get a 3/4 ton and ditch the Tundra. The extra wheel base and weight really improves towing. I would also go 5th wheel vs TT for a smoother ride.

If you want a Class C, you still got to hook up and everything, it's just to a car, and that car picks up miles even while towing. But I've also never had or used one, so don't hold me to how easy or hard it is.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
              If you are going to spend a lot of time driving, I personally would get a 3/4 ton and ditch the Tundra. The extra wheel base and weight really improves towing. I would also go 5th wheel vs TT for a smoother ride.

If you want a Class C, you still got to hook up and everything, it's just to a car, and that car picks up miles even while towing. But I've also never had or used one, so don't hold me to how easy or hard it is.
              I have an in law that retired and started with an F150 towing a smaller trailer. later upgraded to an f250 and larger trailer and now has a class A motor home (top of the line) and tows an f150. his opinion, the f250 + travel trailer would be his choice but his wife prefers the motorhome. if you are going to cover a lot of miles skip the half ton and go 3/4 ton

Comment

I agree with the above statement about 3/4 ton and fifth wheel
                My parents are retired and travel 5-6 times a year, 2-3 weeks at a time and below is their RV history for the past 6 yrs.
                F250 and fifth wheel to Super C pulling an Explorer to smaller C pulling Explorer and now is selling his C and F150 and going back to F250 and fifth wheel

Comment

If I was traveling a lot I would want a class C over pulling. If you wanted to go to the bathroom, make a sandwich or just relax all you have to do is pull over. Travel trailer requires at minimum getting out of truck and in camper. Depending on weather the camper may be cold or hot and may need to move slide out to get to things. Class C will have a slide so keep that in mind. Being able to access stuff without moving slide out was important to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

3/4 Ton Truck and a 30 foot standard RV is all you need!!!

Comment

[quote=9452772;16152669]If I was traveling a lot I would want a class C over pulling. If you wanted to go to the bathroom, make a sandwich or just relax all you have to do is pull over. Travel trailer requires at minimum getting out of truck and in camper. Depending on weather the camper may be cold or hot and may need to move slide out to get to things. Class C will have a slide so keep that in mind. Being able to access stuff without moving slide out was important to us.

THIS ^^^^^

As I wrote we towed the 23 footer for 15 years. It towed fine with the F 150. We spent the night in Walmart parking lots all across the country without issue and I would joke that it is like watching a movie camping there. But I would have liked the the conveniences of, restroom use, passenger(s) laying down while traveling, grandkids playing games and the important one of your wife making you a sandwich while going down the road, (lol) you get with a Class C. My son figured out that we spent 4 total years in the 23 footer. Now we used the trailer to get from point A to point B . Once we got to where we were headed we un-hooked and used the trailer as our little home. We only slept and cooked in the trailer and most always used the RV park facilities for showering and restroom use.

Take some time and go to RV parks or camp grounds and ask folks your questions. I can only tell you my trailer use experiences. It was fun times at first as I was 51 when I retired but then cancer struck my wife at the end and then later took her from me.

Again, follow your dream and have fun no matter which way you decide to travel.
                      Last edited by Jon Stewart; 03-24-2022, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Sounds like an awesome adventure in the making.

I've heard tell to keep the overall length pretty stubby as a lot of the State and National parks have length maximums that would bump a longer rig from staying there.

I know I see 30' as the cap on a lot of state parks, we go anyways with ours that is a smidge over- no one has tape measured us yet.

Comment

Class "C" over a trailer any day.. V8 over the V10's.
                          Pull a jeep behind it.
                          Class "A"s are really nice. But some of the smaller, "mom and pop" camp
                          grounds can't handle the larger 50amp, classes.
                          And sometimes Class A's campgrounds have limited spaces available
                          I've owned most all kinds. But I have camped in the "A"s.
                          Class C seemed to be the most versatile, and easiest to maintain.
                          IMHO..

Comment

I think based on what research I’ve done and the comments here I will be looking at a class c and a jeep. Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My parents bought a 5th wheel, and have regretted it every since. My dad was against a motorhome, but has since changed his mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X