No announcement yet.

Butchering beef DYI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For some reason I think worksalot is back.

Comment

We do it all ourselves. 3 pieces of equipment that help: a gantry crane to lift, a cold room to age, and a meat saw to help butcher. You could do without all three in a pinch.

Feel free to PM me with questions, but the short answer is: you can do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
        I was thinking the same thing!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
          I was thinking the same thing!
          X3.

By the sounds of it, it doesn’t matter what breed you put on the place if you don’t fix the fence.

Comment

Also wear a cup next time you decide to walk too close to the cow's hindquarters !

Comment

Is this even a real question?

Seriously, you have enough BIG coolers to ice down a cow?

Comment

[emoji2][emoji2][emoji2][emoji2][emoji2]

Comment

If you're allowing hunts, I'd like a crazy steer.

Comment

Gonna need some big bags of ice for that ball bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Cantcatch5 View Post
                      I will be interested in hearing how this turns out. My inclination is that after doing it you will say “never again!” Grass fed, unfinished bull meat isn’t going to be taste like you hope.
                      I have over 25 years' experience cutting meat and only processed carcass beef a few times when I was younger. It is going to be way more work than you think. Hind quarters and forequarters are heavy even when you have all the proper equipment, climate-controlled processing room and skillset to break them down properly. I`m betting that about 2 hours into the killing, bleeding, gutting and skinning process you will be saying, "What the F did I get myself into" and you haven`t even started the hard work. Vacuum sealing or wrapping with butcher paper properly alone take way more time than you think. Ambient temperature is going to a problem to. If you lived in a northern state, you could probably let it hang in a shop instead of having to buy $2.50 / 7 lb. bags of ice that will melt and have to be replaced$$$$$.

I thought about doing this one time myself. I was going to take mine to a processor and have them slaughter it properly and let it hang in their cooler for a few weeks. Then I was going to get a 1/2 or 1/4 at a time and process it at home. It would have cost me a little $$$, but I could cut and package it exactly how I wanted..... But then I thought about it some more and said Nope.

Comment

Butchering beef DYI

Man, I have a buddy that shot a raccoon right between the eyes out of a cedar tree, except the raccoon ended up big old heifer. Tried to quarter it like a deer, spent the entire weekend breaking that thing down, just the hide and entrails were a trailer load. Never ever again. Had to crawl inside it to gut it, awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by The Crippler; 02-13-2022, 04:01 PM.

Comment

I’m with TPack...it’s just a bad idea.

Comment

About 20 years ago, one of my grandfathers bulls broke a leg. He decided that we would process him ourselves. A butcher friend of his brought his processing equipment. He dispatched the bull out in the pasture, and used his backhoe to bring it to the house. He and his hands skinned and quartered it. Hung it for a couple of weeks in his walk-in cooler. There were 10 of us working when processing day came. It was a cold January weekend. We ground everything. Four guys cutting into chunks, two running the grinder. Four wives packaging and putting it into the freezers. That was two long days of work. Oh, it was a 1500 pound bull.

Comment

I just noticed it is "DYI" ' Do Yourself an Injury'?

Comment

It only takes 1:09:11

Love this channel

Comment

Working...
                                X