Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-16-2020, 05:50 PM   #1
GoneSouth
Eight Point

Default TBH Landscapers Thread

I know we have quite a few landscapers here on the green screen, so I wanted to start a thread where we could all network for lack of a better term. A place where we can brag, gripe, share stories, ask for help and bounce ideas off each other. Would also make a good place for all members to ask questions if they are the diy types.
GoneSouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 05:57 PM   #2
GoneSouth
Eight Point

I’ll start. I own and operate Lost Pines Landscaping out of Grayson County. I run a three man crew and currently serve 44 properties, about 75% commercial and 25% residential. My specialty is drainage work and retaining walls.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:55 PM   #3
GoneSouth
Eight Point

Bump
Old 09-16-2020, 10:10 PM   #4
RedBear78
Four Point

Hunt In: Warren,Sourlake,Angelina forest

I own Landscapes Unlimited out of Beaumont we do about 75 percent new commercial landscape and irrigation construction.We donít really do any mowing but we do a lot of custom design build projects pavers,putting greens,drainage,hardscapes just about any thing outside weíll do just about anything except birth babyís.
RedBear78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 10:13 PM   #5
RedBear78
Four Point

Hunt In: Warren,Sourlake,Angelina forest

Thanks for opening up discussion on this.I enjoy my line of work and enjoy sharing what I know and learning from others too!
RedBear78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 10:21 PM   #6
Chuy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Falfurrias

Cool thread here. Interested in learning from yall. Especially in the Houston area. I'm the worst messkin alive. Zero green thumb!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 10:32 PM   #7
Milkfisher
Six Point

Not so much landscaping anymore for me. I started mowing yards in 2003. Been a long road but Iíve built and sold multiple lawn businesses With over 90 weekly accounts each time over the years. Iím 100% an outdoor living contractor for going on 6 years now. Patio covers, patios, outdoor kitchens and just about any other stone work out there. This business is currently putting food on the table for for 12 families. We are super blessed.
Lone Star Outdoor Creations...Keller, TX
Milkfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 10:53 PM   #8
jjaimes
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

My Dad owns Green Thumb Nursery & Landscaping out of Beaumont. I am currently in the Energy and Chemical industry but will start back up with his company soon. I grew up doing landscaping/mowing/irrigation and much more.
jjaimes is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 11:23 PM   #9
GoneSouth
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBear78 View Post
I own Landscapes Unlimited out of Beaumont we do about 75 percent new commercial landscape and irrigation construction.We donít really do any mowing but we do a lot of custom design build projects pavers,putting greens,drainage,hardscapes just about any thing outside weíll do just about anything except birth babyís.
Sounds about like me. My company will tackle any task that has to do with anything outside of the home. All of my mowing contracts are exclusively through my projects. Which basically means, we only mow/maintain it if we built it. Iím a perfectionist and expect anything I touch to be perfect. I canít stand poor finish grading that seems to be the norm and acceptable these days. But hey, I canít complain too much, the GC and subs that do **** poor work and sign off on it are ultimately responsible for my success. Most of my work comes from new construction home/ business owners that need what they have already paid someone else to do fixed/done right. I know it may sound big headed of me but I kinda consider myself the Mike Holmes of landscaping. I will bid a job fair and appropriate, and they can either take it or leave it but I refuse to do it any other way than correctly even if it means less money for me.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:30 AM   #10
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

From your previous thread about lawncare:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneSouth View Post
The thread about pool care cost got me thinking. What does everyone pay for lawn care? If you donít mind, post your area and what you pay for lawn care. Please include services received and the size of the lot you are having serviced.

I am in Grayson County and pay $75 for mow, weedeat, edge and blow off hard surfaces on a 1 acre lot. I maintain my own flower beds and tree work.

You own a lawncare business and still pay to have your own lawn mowed?
Burnadell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 07:40 AM   #11
GoneSouth
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
From your previous thread about lawncare:

You own a lawncare business and still pay to have your own lawn mowed?
Yes, itís kinda like the cobblers kids having no shoes, or the mechanics car thatís always broke down. After going from sun up to sundown all week long, the last thing I want to do my one day off if I even get that is mow my own yard. I much prefer to spend a few precious hours in the floor playing trucks with my boy and watch someone else do it.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:05 AM   #12
DNTRanch
Ten Point

Hunt In: Runnels County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkfisher View Post
Not so much landscaping anymore for me. I started mowing yards in 2003. Been a long road but Iíve built and sold multiple lawn businesses With over 90 weekly accounts each time over the years. Iím 100% an outdoor living contractor for going on 6 years now. Patio covers, patios, outdoor kitchens and just about any other stone work out there. This business is currently putting food on the table for for 12 families. We are super blessed.
Lone Star Outdoor Creations...Keller, TX

WE need to talk!! I have a Paver Patio and am looking to add a Pergola with some sort of cooking area and maybe a fireplace if I can afford it Maybe PM me some contact info
DNTRanch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 08:23 AM   #13
gemini2759
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jim Hogg, public land

For all you landscapers, my crepe myrtles are getting ravaged by aphids. I've tried miticide, fungicide, pesticide, soapy water, water jet streams and I still have them Any ideas?

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
gemini2759 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 08:39 AM   #14
GoneSouth
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini2759 View Post
For all you landscapers, my crepe myrtles are getting ravaged by aphids. I've tried miticide, fungicide, pesticide, soapy water, water jet streams and I still have them Any ideas?

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
Aphids are tough, because like hogs, they are prolific breeders. I have the best results using orange oil. Another effective measure I frequently use is to blow them off with a leaf blower and then apply a plant safe repellent.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:40 AM   #15
justindiehl7
Ten Point

Hunt In: Woodville, TX

I own and operate Platinum Landscapes out of The Woodlands/ Conroe! Basically do anything outside! Fences, Retaining Walls, Lighting, Grading, large and Small Tract Mowing, Commercial and Residential! I run 3 trucks, one for mowing and 2 for landscaping! Have a few commercial contracts, and about 30 weekly mows! Got an opportunity to build my first outdoor kitchen, will post pictures soon!

justindiehl7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 08:42 AM   #16
cwallace
Spike

Gone South... That's the best mindset to have. Knowing your worth and producing a quality product sure helps bring back repeat business with a genuine customer base also. It sure beats the heck out of handing out business cards and under bidding work just to keep the ball rolling!
cwallace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 08:43 AM   #17
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County

I own Double D landscapes and Executive Home Services out of McKinney
Collectively about 20 employees
Double D does design and install EHS does the maintenance

Sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 08:50 AM   #18
b.latiolais
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards County

Whenever you guys find out the solution for Torpedo grass please let me know.... I used to have a plush yard and landscaping that i installed myself. Now its a never ending pain in the butt. I feel I owe alot of it to the bayou flood waters during Harvey flooding my yard. Can't help but think that it brought in all kinds of unwanted weed seeds etc...
b.latiolais is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 09:25 AM   #19
GoneSouth
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
I own Double D landscapes and Executive Home Services out of McKinney
Collectively about 20 employees
Double D does design and install EHS does the maintenance

Nice! Vertical integration
Old 09-17-2020, 09:37 AM   #20
Hobbs
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.latiolais View Post
Whenever you guys find out the solution for Torpedo grass please let me know.... I used to have a plush yard and landscaping that i installed myself. Now its a never ending pain in the butt. I feel I owe alot of it to the bayou flood waters during Harvey flooding my yard. Can't help but think that it brought in all kinds of unwanted weed seeds etc...
Drive should take it out.
Hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 09:44 AM   #21
kparker158
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public and Private Lands of East Texas

We have a monthly contract to mow about 30 acres of empty lots in a developing Kingwood subdivision. About the extent of my landscaping career Lol. I need to start chasing residential mowing work but employees are tough to keep. My main business is Demolition and Concrete work. Also keep a truck running doing Junk removal work.
kparker158 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 09:49 AM   #22
b.latiolais
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbs View Post
Drive should take it out.
Yea, but won't that take out my St. Augustine also?
b.latiolais is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 10:10 AM   #23
Welding Teach
Four Point

Hunt In: Crosby/Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kparker158 View Post
We have a monthly contract to mow about 30 acres of empty lots in a developing Kingwood subdivision. About the extent of my landscaping career Lol. I need to start chasing residential mowing work but employees are tough to keep. My main business is Demolition and Concrete work. Also keep a truck running doing Junk removal work.
Do you come to Crosby area? I just took down 140' of wooden fence I have no idea what to do with. Don't want to burn it because of all the nails and screws it will leave behind.
Welding Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 10:47 AM   #24
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneSouth View Post
Nice! Vertical integration

I bought Double D in November last year from a TBHrs dad
I was getting sick of turning down jobs and he built a great company with good margins, amazing reviews and the same culture we promote at EHS

Sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 11:08 AM   #25
ThisLadyHunts
Six Point

Hunt In: Kerrville, Harper, Hunt, Boerne

Anyone working in the Austin/Central Texas area?
ThisLadyHunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 12:00 PM   #26
Hobbs
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.latiolais View Post
Yea, but won't that take out my St. Augustine also?
Yes. It's not labeled for St. Augustine. I've only used it on bermuda.
Hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 12:21 PM   #27
DPElite
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mexico

Started up my lil company 3 years ago and up to 91 houses on weekly scheduled servicing and 1 commercial and also do mulch, reworking flower beds, lil tree trimming ect on the weekends.

DPElite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top