Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-16-2020, 03:23 PM   #1
98ag
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas Hill Country
Unhappy Rats in my wife's car

I made the mistake of leaving an extra bag of corn in my garage recently. Then a few days ago my wife complains that her car smells terrible, like something died. I look all in it, under it, under the hood and cannot find anything. The next day I see a rat in the garage after my corn, so I figured a rat got in her car and died somewhere. This morning I decided to pull her car out of the garage to let it air out. When I backed it out I noticed two dead baby rats on the floorboard of the passenger side. I also thought I heard something in the dashboard right above them. I was on the way to work so I only had time to take the two dead ones out and leave the car in the driveway. When I get home I plan to take the glove box off and look behind the cabin air filter. My wife has declared that she will never drive the car again. What do you think are the chances that they have done any real damage? This is a 2016 4runner. I might be in the market for a new one.
98ag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 03:29 PM   #2
CEO
Pope & Young

A few years back my mom called me on her way home from work. Dad was out of town and she said her car smelled terrible when she turned on the AC and asked if I could look at it. She pulls in the driveway and I can already smell something dead. She pops the hood and gets out gagging. I start looking and see a big *** rat stuck between a belt and pulley. First thing I could find to pry it loose was an old arrow with a Muzzy 125. It took a minute but it finally plopped down on the driveway. Stunk for a few weeks I believe.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 03:31 PM   #3
JONES45LC
Ten Point

Hunt In: edwards, real, medina, kerr counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98ag View Post
I made the mistake of leaving an extra bag of corn in my garage recently. Then a few days ago my wife complains that her car smells terrible, like something died. I look all in it, under it, under the hood and cannot find anything. The next day I see a rat in the garage after my corn, so I figured a rat got in her car and died somewhere. This morning I decided to pull her car out of the garage to let it air out. When I backed it out I noticed two dead baby rats on the floorboard of the passenger side. I also thought I heard something in the dashboard right above them. I was on the way to work so I only had time to take the two dead ones out and leave the car in the driveway. When I get home I plan to take the glove box off and look behind the cabin air filter. My wife has declared that she will never drive the car again. What do you think are the chances that they have done any real damage? This is a 2016 4runner. I might be in the market for a new one.
my mom just had similar issue with her 2012 four runner
she drove it Thursday and then Friday morning she got in it and started it and was running terrible.
she had it towed to Toyota dealership rat or squirrel had chewed though wires to fuel pump and transmission.
JONES45LC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 03:31 PM   #4
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

New 2014 Ford F150 back in the day had $800 worth of damage from rats at the lease. built a nest between the block and firewall and ate some wires.

Not sure of the truth to this but was told by some Ford people that a lot of car mfgs use cooking oil to greas wires when they run them thru cabling or bigger covers. Rats/mice are going after the oil!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 03:36 PM   #5
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Killing Stuff These Days

There is something in the plastic compound on wires they can eat and digest. I sell tons of pigtails that rats have destroyed...............
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 03:40 PM   #6
98ag
Four Point

pic
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2020, 03:42 PM   #7
rsquared
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

try putting a trap with bait on the floor board. maybe you will get lucky and catch it before it dies up there
rsquared is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 03:46 PM   #8
JLivi1224
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public

My wife would set that mug on fire. Insurance be ****ed.
JLivi1224 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 04:13 PM   #9
RattlesnakeDan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

I know some of the Fords and Kawasaki Mules, the wire coating is made with soybean oil and I've heard of ranchers having their wiring eaten from front to back on the Mules.
RattlesnakeDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 04:21 PM   #10
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

Dude, that’s gross
Sika is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 04:24 PM   #11
IowaHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: IA + MA

Years ago I had to set traps in our E-150 conversion van to trap the buggers!
IowaHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 06:35 PM   #12
Acameron52
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

I’m out!
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 06:57 PM   #13
GoneSouth
Eight Point

Dude, you don’t have a rat problem, you have a wife problem! Tell her to have fun walking.
The rats/mice are easy to get rid of. The problem is that she sees a god excuse for a upgrade. Get rid of the rodents, run an ozincs for a full cycle, get it detailed for her and tell her to get over it.
GoneSouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 06:59 PM   #14
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

Takes about 2 to 3 weeks for them to dry up and not smell.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 07:02 PM   #15
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Shots fired,shots fired

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 07:06 PM   #16
KDinTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Co., Henderson Co.

Soy based coating on the wires, once they find it they’ll never leave it alone. Same for aerial fiber/telecom cables. Squirrels eat it like candy and tear up tons of it.
KDinTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 07:07 PM   #17
Stan R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Madison and Colorado County

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneSouth View Post
Dude, you donít have a rat problem, you have a wife problem! Tell her to have fun walking.
The rats/mice are easy to get rid of. The problem is that she sees a god excuse for a upgrade. Get rid of the rodents, run an ozincs for a full cycle, get it detailed for her and tell her to get over it.

Happy Wife Happy Life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stan R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 07:28 PM   #18
bigjohntex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kaufman county

Get the biggest, strongest ozone generator you can afford off Amazon. Get all the dead ones you can find out and run that ozone generator like crazy. Run it with the vehicle on and off. Run it with the ac on recirc. I've got "dead"smells out of cars by doing this.
bigjohntex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 07:49 PM   #19
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Killing Stuff These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
I know some of the Fords and Kawasaki Mules, the wire coating is made with soybean oil and I've heard of ranchers having their wiring eaten from front to back on the Mules.
Well there it is. Could not remember what was the compound they are eating. Selling auto plugs we get a lot of strange calls. Lots of deer and pig strikes. This year I got my first bear strike. Of course I asked the body shop if the bear survived and he told me " she was a little old lady and I asked her if the bear survived and she said - I don't know I was not going to stop the car and go poke it with a stick"
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 07:50 PM   #20
98ag
Four Point

She’s not worried about the upgrade. She would trade it for a corolla right now. I’m more worried about the damage than the smell. The smell I can get ride of with time.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:25 PM   #21
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

I have a pretty strong stomach for stink but I can’t think of many more retch-inducing than lingering, rotting rodent carcass.
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 08:34 PM   #22
TP3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hays, Val Verde co

Rat snake will fix that right up.
TP3 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 09:04 PM   #23
sharpstick35
Eight Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

[QUOTE=TP3;15105194]Rat snake will fix that right up.[/QUO

but then you have a snake problem and that might be worse in your wife's eyes
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 09:15 PM   #24
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohntex View Post
Get the biggest, strongest ozone generator you can afford off Amazon. Get all the dead ones you can find out and run that ozone generator like crazy. Run it with the vehicle on and off. Run it with the ac on recirc. I've got "dead"smells out of cars by doing this.
You gotta get the live ones out first, or the ozone will make more dead rats
Atfulldraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 09:44 PM   #25
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

Oh ****! If I did that, I would have to get my wife a new car, that day. She would never get anywhere near the car again. That is a pretty funny story.

As for the damage, for some reason, they like injector wires, they like foil covered wires. Which ignition wiring and injector wiring will be wrapped in foil. But they will eat any wires, that are in their way or wires they can get to, just for the heck of it. Yes, they will eat holes in plastic, such as plastic evaporator cases, plastic vacuum tanks, ECT. For them to be inside the car, they likely ate a hole through the cabin filter that or through the evaporator case. There really should not be anywhere they could get into the interior of the car, without, the windows being down, doors open or they ate through something.
RifleBowPistol is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 09:51 PM   #26
kingranch
Ten Point

A baby coon died in the fire wall of moms suburban
Insurance claim to the tune of like 3500.. had to replace metal quarter panels
Death stench wouldn't go away

Good luck clean and spray vinegar leave it to air out
kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 10:02 PM   #27
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
New 2014 Ford F150 back in the day had $800 worth of damage from rats at the lease. built a nest between the block and firewall and ate some wires.

Not sure of the truth to this but was told by some Ford people that a lot of car mfgs use cooking oil to greas wires when they run them thru cabling or bigger covers. Rats/mice are going after the oil!
To the best of my knowledge that is not true. I worked in Ford dealers for many years, and have worked on them for many years since and other brands. Most often, rats and squirrels go after foil covered wires. For some reason, they like to chew on the foil or there is some attraction to something on the foil. Most of the time we find rat eaten wires, they are foil covered wires, such as ignition or injector wiring. Any wires that can produce lots of radio noise, are typically foil wrapped to reduce radio noise. Those are the wires, mice, rats and tree rats prefer. We have for years assumed they like chewing on the foil. They will chew on any wire, they can get to.

They will eat plastic anything and hoses at times, such as vacuum hoses, and they will find insulation, in the vehicles and make nests with it.

In the dealer, we used to see many trucks that were taken to deer leases and left sitting for days, that would have rat eaten wires. Also the snow birds that come down here in the winter and stay in RV parks for months, would often find their truck or RV had wires that had been eaten, when they they tried to leave to go home. A rat can do a lot of damage in a day or two, when you give them three months, they can do really do some damage.
RifleBowPistol is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 12:12 AM   #28
GoneSouth
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
To the best of my knowledge that is not true. I worked in Ford dealers for many years, and have worked on them for many years since and other brands. Most often, rats and squirrels go after foil covered wires. For some reason, they like to chew on the foil or there is some attraction to something on the foil. Most of the time we find rat eaten wires, they are foil covered wires, such as ignition or injector wiring. Any wires that can produce lots of radio noise, are typically foil wrapped to reduce radio noise. Those are the wires, mice, rats and tree rats prefer. We have for years assumed they like chewing on the foil. They will chew on any wire, they can get to.

They will eat plastic anything and hoses at times, such as vacuum hoses, and they will find insulation, in the vehicles and make nests with it.

In the dealer, we used to see many trucks that were taken to deer leases and left sitting for days, that would have rat eaten wires. Also the snow birds that come down here in the winter and stay in RV parks for months, would often find their truck or RV had wires that had been eaten, when they they tried to leave to go home. A rat can do a lot of damage in a day or two, when you give them three months, they can do really do some damage.
You can think or assume all you want but the fact is they chew on wires becaus the wire casing/insulation is soy oil based, it is well documented and easy to prove with a little research. Has nothing to do with foil wires or radio frequencies.
GoneSouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 01:13 AM   #29
steve corn
Eight Point

Hunt In: Milam county

20 or so years back my daughter hade a small car, I forget what kind. Two different times had a rat got in her ac fan. Started smelling some thing but when she turned on the ac, wow, it would choke you down. Nothing quite like unwinding rat guts from a fan to get it out.
steve corn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 01:32 AM   #30
Laner7
Eight Point

Get them all the time in our ranch trucks. My brother left his hunting pack in there & found a nice surprise of baby mice when he stuck his hand down in there about a week later😂 Iíve gone on a killing spree & havenít had issues in awhile. Make sure you check your air filters as well, we had one that some how got in there and only find out as the smell just wouldnít go away.
Laner7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 02:06 AM   #31
Thumper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
There is something in the plastic compound on wires they can eat and digest. I sell tons of pigtails that rats have destroyed...............

I read the wires are coated with a soy bi-product for their insulation. Probably take a class action to make them stop.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 04:35 AM   #32
Jet Black
Ten Point

Hunt In: n/a

Last winter my wife tells me her car is vibrating like crazy. After some quick troubleshooting....

There were chunks all throughout the engine compartment
Jet Black is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 04:36 AM   #33
kkp005
Eight Point

Hunt In: Madison County

Dang man that sucks
kkp005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 10:11 AM   #34
98ag
Four Point

Looked in the cabin air filter this morning and pulled out 4 more dead babies. That makes a total of 6. I opened the hood to try and see how they got in there and saw momma run through the engine. My guess is she made the nest and had the babies in there and then my wife parked it in the sun and killed the babies. Now I just have to get momma out some how, or it may just be time to trade it in.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:17 AM   #35
98ag
Four Point

Anyone know what this is? I found it in the nest. So far everything seems to be working ok, but they definitely chewed the plug off something.
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2020, 10:26 AM   #36
mooney_ag
Eight Point

Hunt In: Erath & Tom Green Cty

Ouch. Leaving the hood open push them out any?
mooney_ag is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 10:39 AM   #37
Keith
Administrator

The air conditioner on my wife's Toyota Camry got to where it wasn't putting out much air. Had my son check the cabin air filter and it was stuffed full of paper, cloth and anything else a mouse could build a nest out of. Luckily it didn't die in there.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 10:42 AM   #38
gmagsdad
Four Point

Hunt In: Bosque County; Anywhere, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98ag View Post
Looked in the cabin air filter this morning and pulled out 4 more dead babies. That makes a total of 6. I opened the hood to try and see how they got in there and saw momma run through the engine. My guess is she made the nest and had the babies in there and then my wife parked it in the sun and killed the babies. Now I just have to get momma out some how, or it may just be time to trade it in.
Could you block the hole for the cabin air filter with some metal mesh, piece of expanded metal, steel wool, etc? Theory being to find something that will block the hole but allow for circulation, leave the cabin air filter out, and then fire it up with the heater running full blast for a while. That should keep her from getting back inside the car and hopefully send her packing. If she still gets back in then you'd at least know that she's got more than one entry point. Enough ozone will definitely take care of the smell if circulated throughout the inside and the HVAC system long enough. Just turn it off or unplug it before you get back in. Also, maybe rent or borrow another vehicle and run the ozone for a few days until the smell is gone, it beats signing up for another 36-72 monthly payments. Long winded but I thought I'd throw it out there, feel for ya man.
gmagsdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 12:11 PM   #39
quarterback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

I can sing this exact same song. Corn in garage, wife complains about "a smell" in her car a few days later. Dead rat deep in the a/c somewhere. Cost me $500 for new a/c blower and deodorizer treatment. It was a nasty, funky smell.
quarterback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 01:55 PM   #40
altez
Eight Point

I have a 2018 4R and a rat chewed up a hose during the winter time. What worked for me was spraying the engine bay and wheel wells with a mix of peppermint oil and water. Two teaspoons per cup of water.

There was a youtube showing how mice hated peppermint oil. Also the car dealer repair place recommended peppermint oil as well.

Start off spraying few times a week then you can taper off to once a week and see how that works.

Peppermint oil can get pricey but it's a lot less than having to repair wiring damage.
altez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 02:31 PM   #41
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

There was a thread on here last week I think that was about how to keep rats/mice out of ranch vehicles... It had several remedies and potential remedies...

Edit: Found it: https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...ighlight=wires

Last edited by SaltwaterSlick; 09-17-2020 at 02:35 PM.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 05:59 PM   #42
MagicBlade
Ten Point

Hunt In: Archer County Texas

Just spent $500 to replace this part on my F150. Not sure if it was a mouse, squirrel or rat. But hate it either way!
Attached Images

MagicBlade is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 06:38 PM   #43
Tbar
Ten Point

Had a rat in one of the company trucks. It fell out of the dash on my feet when I stopped at a stop sign. Crawled under the dash and found one of the firewall plugs had fallen out allowing them access into the truck.
Tbar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 06:40 PM   #44
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Rid-a-Rat Packrat and Rodent Deterrent Device Model RC-4. Leave the hood open if possible.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 08:17 PM   #45
Hombre
Four Point

I had mice and rats get under the hood of my Tacoma at the lease in Mexico. Opened the door and mucho malo!! Cowboys told me to leave it at their house because they had a tomcat who lived on mice and rats. Sure as hell it worked, no more rats or mice other than the smell. I loaded the cab with two of the strongest smelling odor killers I could find, wintergreen and lemon. Came back a week later and not so bad other than it smelled like a rotten green lemon but better than rat pizz.
I drive up the cowboys house a couple days later and my window was down about halfway out of necessity of course. I literally take ten steps to look at a buck one of the guys had shot, maybe 45 seconds to a minute. Get back to my truck, open the door to be greeted by tomcat love juice!! S**t the Bed, he had slipped in through the window, pizzed on the floormat(weather tech) , jumped over the console and pizzed behind the seat.
So now I have a rotten green lemon tomcat love juice smell thoroughly imbedded inside the cab of my pickup. That was in January. I have tried a half dozen different scents in my cab with not a whole lot of luck. None of my friends smoke but would be happy to let them light up a Chesterfield or Camel if they asked.
Wife came home yesterday with a new scent to try. She said it is called Manliness or something like that. So this afternoon my truck smells like a rotten green lemon tomcat love juice guy with BO. I GIVE UP.
Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 08:31 PM   #46
Captain39
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

I hate rats! Burn that car!
Captain39 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 08:56 PM   #47
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
I had mice and rats get under the hood of my Tacoma at the lease in Mexico. Opened the door and mucho malo!! Cowboys told me to leave it at their house because they had a tomcat who lived on mice and rats. Sure as hell it worked, no more rats or mice other than the smell. I loaded the cab with two of the strongest smelling odor killers I could find, wintergreen and lemon. Came back a week later and not so bad other than it smelled like a rotten green lemon but better than rat pizz.
I drive up the cowboys house a couple days later and my window was down about halfway out of necessity of course. I literally take ten steps to look at a buck one of the guys had shot, maybe 45 seconds to a minute. Get back to my truck, open the door to be greeted by tomcat love juice!! S**t the Bed, he had slipped in through the window, pizzed on the floormat(weather tech) , jumped over the console and pizzed behind the seat.
So now I have a rotten green lemon tomcat love juice smell thoroughly imbedded inside the cab of my pickup. That was in January. I have tried a half dozen different scents in my cab with not a whole lot of luck. None of my friends smoke but would be happy to let them light up a Chesterfield or Camel if they asked.
Wife came heeome yesterday with a new scent to try. She said it is called Manliness or something like that. So this afternoon my truck smells like a rotten green lemon tomcat love juice guy with BO. I GIVE UP.
If you'll clean it up good and put an ozone so machine in it and let it cycle a couple batteries, it will get all that smell out.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 09:39 PM   #48
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Title made me think of the Geico commercial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Graysonhogs is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top