Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 09-02-2020, 01:21 PM   #1
Beargrasstx
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado
Default Big Lake Bottom WMA

Howdy,

I just got drawn to hint this WMA for archery season. I have about 2 or 3 days available to hint this unit. Anybody that has hunted this unit have any advice?

Thank you
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 01:31 PM   #2
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co

When are you going? I drew it for November 6-15. Never been there but like any East Texas spot, find the food, youíll find the deer. Pretty sure you will need a climber and/or a lock on stand. I know of one guy that has hunted it a few years back. Iíll see if I can contact him and see if I can get some intel on the place.
sqiggy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 04:46 PM   #3
Beargrasstx
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado

I am hunting archery - October 16th through the 25th. However, I can only hunt 2 maybe 3 days total.

From searching threads on here and internet, seems like a lot of mature hardwoods everywhere so food is abundant with acorns. It floods often, highly recommended to have an ATV

Archery, not a lot of luck hunting from what I have seen. Going to start diving in and researching topo maps etc. Any tips are appreciated, either on this thread or through PM.
Old 09-02-2020, 04:54 PM   #4
game_Chaser
Four Point

I've been out there a couple of times hiking. Seen a lot of deer out there.
game_Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 05:16 PM   #5
E.TX.BOWHUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas Public Lands

Lots of pigs too. Yes you need a climber or 2. I set up 2 last time there and baited areas around each and set cams. Deer seemed to like tighter quarters, thicker stuff. Usually muddy out there. Lots of walking. Deer moved all day for me. Saw 2 really good bucks but they will want you to shoot spikes or 5+ year old deer. I walked into pigs almost every morning. They were not aggressive as they passed less than 10 feet from me on 2 occasions. They did scare the chit out of me. Take a game cart too. I did not have 4wd.
E.TX.BOWHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 06:16 PM   #6
Beargrasstx
Eight Point

Thank you for sharing your experience. Do they assign you a spot? If so, is it day by day or for the entire duration? I have read mixed reviews on this part whether they do this or not.

I may try and find the biologist can give a call. Any other tips? In the future, if someone sees this thread. Send me a PM and I will let you know all the stuff I found. Unfortunately I have limited time to capitalize but will spend all day hunting and let you know what I observed.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:29 PM   #7
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

1) carry something you can ride and will handle gumbo mud

Seems like the times we went it was wet and it would be a long walk to get anywhere from the parking lot

2) There were no "compartments" when we hunted and you could go anywhere you wanted

We went to the power line, crossed the creek and hunted mostly east of the power line

3) We hammered the pigs but never saw any great bucks, they are there but we didn't see any

4) Carry something you can ride that will handle mud. Dad has been down there when it was dry and drove his truck to the power line, every time I have been it was water and mud everywhere
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 06:48 PM   #8
E.TX.BOWHUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas Public Lands

I hunted by compartment. It's yours for you and the others on your card that was drawn.
E.TX.BOWHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 06:56 PM   #9
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
I hunted by compartment. It's yours for you and the others on your card that was drawn.
That is how they do most hunts

May have been because it was flooded and not but a handful of people showed up

And maybe that was just the last hunt we did there too, it has been a few years since we last got to hunt it
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 07:20 PM   #10
TexasArchery_27
Eight Point

Hunt In: Red River & Collin County

Are there trails to access the more remote spots? Also, I know Richland Creek has a compartment map available online. Is there also one for this place?
TexasArchery_27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 08:04 PM   #11
dontgetlost
Nubbin' Buck

I got drawn for this unit as well in December for archery. This will be the first time for me to hunt up here for deer. I have duck hunted up there several years back when it was super flooded. Does the baiting seem to work with the deer or just the pigs?
dontgetlost is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 08:53 PM   #12
jnd1959
Ten Point

Last year there were no compartments. It was dry. We had opportunities on does. Got pigs. Game cart is a must. Ended up quartering our pigs and packing out about 3/4 mile. Saw a monster rub line but I think we blew him out the first weekend. At first I thought a tractor hit a tree but after we saw the next two rubs we knew he was a monster. We didn't draw first round last year but won on the second draw. Hoping we have the same luck this year. If we draw this year were using saddles. It was work carrying a stand in. We didn't need 4wd last year. I'm thinking of renting a UTV or my son's 4wd as his is made for that stuff. There's a parking lot to camp on and a convenience store a mile away. This year we will probably just sleep in the back of our truck. Most people went east. We went southwest. I think more deer are seen east. Their ARs are stricter than usual. Gate opens at 5 each morning and out an hour and half after shooting time. I liked how it was run. Good luck. I'll give more pointers after I know my draw status. Yes, I'm selfish
jnd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2020, 09:09 AM   #13
Beargrasstx
Eight Point

Fair enough Yeah I started scouting using satellite mapping last night. I like the southwest area and I like directly East as well. There is a spot directly West I am curious about as well but I am sure gets hit up. I need to look but I may be the first group to hunt the WMA this year. That may have some advantages. I have some areas I want to hit up, after that it will just be what happens at check in and if we get assigned a spot or however that will work.

From there I will just be trying to find heavy sign. I plan on bringing my saddle and using a 4 wheeler for part of the way. However, I plan on doing mostly walking. Are there established trails for a 4 wheeler? How many people are picked to hunt during each of these date ranges?
Old 09-03-2020, 08:42 PM   #14
jnd1959
Ten Point

There were appx 28 slots last year. There are a few roads but most is walk in. The west side has a landowner that sometimes trespasses. Relations aren't good so I've heard. There were blinds and feeders right on the fence. We didn't go east so can't talk about that side. You'll want to drive as far as you can as some of those crossings are deeper than boots.
Old 09-04-2020, 07:59 AM   #15
Beargrasstx
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnd1959 View Post
There were appx 28 slots last year. There are a few roads but most is walk in. The west side has a landowner that sometimes trespasses. Relations aren't good so I've heard. There were blinds and feeders right on the fence. We didn't go east so can't talk about that side. You'll want to drive as far as you can as some of those crossings are deeper than boots.

Must be some toads over there for that neighbor to keep trespassing and making a fuss. I have read on facebook that there are toads killed by people all around this unit on hunting leases directly bordering it.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:17 AM   #16
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Not just there. All up and down that Trinity River Bottom.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:58 AM   #17
Beargrasstx
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqiggy View Post
Not just there. All up and down that Trinity River Bottom.

I wish I could get on a lease there. That would be the perfect long term solution for me. If you know any spot around there that opens up, I would be willing to pay top dollar in the future.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:30 PM   #18
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Anybody else going November 6-15?
I only live about an hour away but plan on camping 4 or 5 days, depending on weather.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:32 PM   #19
TexasArchery_27
Eight Point

Hunt In: Red River & Collin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqiggy View Post
Anybody else going November 6-15?
I only live about an hour away but plan on camping 4 or 5 days, depending on weather.

Iím in for the November 6-15 hunt. Donít know how long Iíll stay though- it really depends on sign and potential.
TexasArchery_27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2020, 03:53 AM   #20
Phorizt
Six Point

Hunt In: Public land

Yeah i drew Nov 6-15 too. Not sure how long I can hunt though since I also drew Richland Creek Thanksgiving week and if my kids draw something Iíll need time off for those hunts too.

Is this prime rut time in that part of the state?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phorizt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2020, 05:30 AM   #21
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Yeah, rut should be cranking up that week.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:00 PM   #22
HuntorFish
Spike

Our group is also in for Nov. 6-15
HuntorFish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2020, 09:15 PM   #23
Beargrasstx
Eight Point

Looks like most of you guys will be there in November.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:56 AM   #24
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Looks like a few TBHíers will be there. Hopefully yíall can hang around and share a campfire with me.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:24 PM   #25
GBludau
Eight Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Brazos, Milam, Grimes, Victoria Counties, Public land

9" of rain previously and more coming. This was today. I hope this isn't foreshadowing this upcoming season.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
GBludau is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2020, 03:01 AM   #26
sqiggy
Pope & Young

As dry as it has been, hopefully the ground will soak it all in. Maybe time November gets here, it wonít be too bad.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:00 PM   #27
jnd1959
Ten Point

Is that the first gate or second one (inside the hunting area)? Looks like the one by the parking lot.

Lots of rain but hopefully it will move out before Oct 1 st. I drew this as a second last year. Hoping for the same luck again.
Old 09-12-2020, 02:20 PM   #28
GBludau
Eight Point

[QUOTE=jnd1959;15092097]Is that the first gate or second one (inside the hunting area)? Looks like the one by the parking lot.

Photo is the 2nd gate inside the hunt area, the first gate was locked so no vehicles could enter and attempt to drive down the road that was underwater and either get stuck/sunk, or ruin the road.
Old 09-12-2020, 03:14 PM   #29
jnd1959
Ten Point

We're in for the first hunt. Will leave a few spikes for ya. No more rain would be good at this point.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:51 PM   #30
GBludau
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnd1959 View Post
We're in for the first hunt. Will leave a few spikes for ya. No more rain would be good at this point.
You must be really confused. I'm there for bird watching.

Old 09-12-2020, 11:43 PM   #31
Spoiled_TN_boy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land

We drew this Nov 6-15th as well as Laguna in Dec and my son drew Richland North Oct 31. Our freezer will be overflowing this year!
Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2020, 09:10 AM   #32
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
We drew this Nov 6-15th as well as Laguna in Dec and my son drew Richland North Oct 31. Our freezer will be overflowing this year!
Donít count your chickens before they hatch!!!
Just sayin
Old 09-13-2020, 10:08 AM   #33
Spoiled_TN_boy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land

More stoked about Richland. We bow bunted the e-postcard last year. I put in 15 days of scouting plus all the hunting time and have a really good idea where we'll setup.
Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2020, 06:02 PM   #34
jnd1959
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBludau View Post

That there is a black headed swamp stork. Very rare and dangerous. Your lucky to have survived.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:36 PM   #35
jnd1959
Ten Point

I'm thinking of renting a UTV if anyone wants to share the cost. Or, if someone close wants to rent me one I'll do that as well. PM me if interested. I plan on being there much of the week if I can get my work done.

I'm there Oct 2nd to 11th

If not I may take my son's truck since it's a mud hog. He has a game way out in Lubbock that Friday night so I'm not sure when I'll be back Saturday. Probably get in when the gate open.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:07 AM   #36
kingfisher_jr
Four Point

My son was drawn for a youth hunt on Halloween weekend. We have never been to this area and would be very grateful any advice we could get from you guys that have hunted it before or will be there during archery season this year. From my understanding a rifle will be allowed during this time for the youth hunters and he is allowed to shoot does also.
kingfisher_jr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2020, 12:35 AM   #37
jnd1959
Ten Point

Talked to Kyle today. As expected, it's still wet. He doesn't expect it to dry before the first hunt and probably the second. I don't think they will let vehicles in. Just atv s or UTV s. That also probably means the west end and south side will be flooded. Water comes over the bank and gets trapped and is slow to drain. Kinda like New Orleans. I may bring waders. Last year we set up over stands of rag weed that had trails through it. The rag weed was high enough to allow deer and hogs to move through it without being seen at ground level. I'm not sure what the high water will do to the weeds. But high dry pinch points may be the ticket. Is anyone else hunting the first week?
Old 09-21-2020, 02:53 PM   #38
CNF Outdoors
Nubbin' Buck

We will be out there opening weekend. Camping the 2-4. Can’t wait, hope it dries out some.
CNF Outdoors is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2020, 03:39 PM   #39
jnd1959
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNF Outdoors View Post
We will be out there opening weekend. Camping the 2-4. Canít wait, hope it dries out some.
Cool. I'll be out the the 2nd for orientation. I'm not sure if I am driving to Lubbock for my son's game or not. I don't think so. That's a long drive just to turn around and come back. I'll at least be out there over the weekend and probably some the first part of the week. I'm spending most of that first weekend scouting. Lotsa hogs.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:00 PM   #40
CNF Outdoors
Nubbin' Buck

Same for us. We need to get back to Houston for work on Monday - Thursday but we will be back up there the second weekend again. First time for us drawing and we hit a few. Big lake, Richland Creek North, and Enchanted Rock. Really excited for the season and hopefully we can make it happen.
CNF Outdoors is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2020, 06:20 PM   #41
.243 WSSM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
If its anything like your tn turkey hunt you are going to starve this winter
.243 WSSM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2020, 07:42 PM   #42
ABWGTX
Four Point

Quote:

The infamous "Glamour Shots" hunter, have been hoping to meet the Legend. Maybe our paths will cross at BLB. Being just a amateur short stick thrower I will be marvelled and in awe at your presence. Can I get your autograph?
ABWGTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2020, 09:11 AM   #43
GBludau
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABWGTX View Post
The infamous "Glamour Shots" hunter, have been hoping to meet the Legend. Maybe our paths will cross at BLB. Being just a amateur short stick thrower I will be marvelled and in awe at your presence. Can I get your autograph?
ABWGTX, HEY BUDDY! Short stick and a short d*** thrower.
Hopefully, this year you can actually kill something and get someone to take your "Glamour Shot". I'll autograph your tag sandwich if you let yourself down again.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:21 PM   #44
ABWGTX
Four Point

Quote:
ABWGTX, HEY BUDDY! Short stick and a short d*** thrower.
Hopefully, this year you can actually kill something and get someone to take your "Glamour Shot". I'll autograph your tag sandwich if you let yourself down again.
Yes I should take up bowling and buy new glasses, just jealous of your success. Have enjoyed your posts and great photos the last few years. Anything legal with antlers and comes off BLB is a trophy and am sure you can get it done. I would settle with a hand shake if we meet!

Last edited by ABWGTX; 09-22-2020 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:53 PM   #45
GBludau
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABWGTX View Post
Yes I should take up bowling and buy new glasses, just jealous of your success. Have enjoyed your posts and great photos the last few years. Anything legal with antlers and comes off BLB is a trophy and am sure you can get it done. I would settle with a hand shake if we meet!
Dang I apologize, I honestly thought you were being a jerk. (There's alot on here). My bad! Handshake for sure.

Old 09-22-2020, 02:07 PM   #46
ABWGTX
Four Point

It's all good. Recognized you and remembered myself and txoutdoorsman24 giving you BS last year in the thread below in fun

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...6#post14306746