Golf cart gurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Golf cart gurus

If there is some giant golf cart thread that answers the questions I am about to pose then please, somebody provide a link to it. Search function from the phone is less than ideal.

I have a 2002 Yamaha G series gas that is the first cart of my adult life. The body is ugly green. It has headlights but no turn signal and the brake lights stay on if the headlights are on so I at least need to upgrade the light kit for night neighborhood use. I’m in a golf community and golf is my primary use although if I join a lease next year I may also use it for hunting.

Wife wants me to 1) change the color of the hunter green body, preferably to an Astros theme 2) add a flip style rear seat. With the rear seat comes the need for heavier shocks. This thing rides rough anyway and needs a suspension upgrade.
    According to Waze I max at 17mph with just me in the cart which is a little scary on our roads that have 35mph limit.

So here are my questions:

1 - is it worth putting money into a 17 year old cart? I have already had to pull the carb and clean. It runs great now.
    2 - are there gear kits available that will increase my top speed but still get me up the steep golf course hills? I already have the throttle adjustment screwed down and even wires down a little more so I’m at max throttle.
    3 - played with a guy tonight that swapped engines in his 96 model and says he can get 48mph now. Is this BS or are there readily available engine upgrades for these Yamahas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TexaRican; 08-21-2019, 08:07 PM.

Interested to hear the replies. I’d make your current cart a lease vehicle and get another for golf and neighborhood use.

Comment

Bowslayer is your man here! TBH Cart Guru

Comment

Golf Cart Forum for Electric Golf cars, Golf Cart Lift Kits and Custom Golf Cart Parts and Accessories. Featuring forums for Club Car, EZGO and Yamaha Golf cars

Gary

Comment

BuggiesUnlimited.com

Use to have a great forum but I dont see it anymore

Looks like Gary posted a good one

Comment

3 - played with a guy tonight that swapped engines in his 96 model and says he can get 48mph now. Is this BS or are there readily available engine upgrades for these Yamahas?

I have a yahama fuel injected cart with lift and it tops out about 25mph. I do not think youre gonna want to go 48 mph in a golf cart if that is even posible....They just arent meant to go that fast.

Comment

I spent just as much money fixing mine up as I paid for it. Im pretty certain if I had to sell it today Id be able to get my money out pretty quick. That said if you look at them for sale, a decent used cart is the same money whether it was built in 1980 or 2015

I will say this about the motor. When I got mine I GPSd it at 36 mph with just me in it. That's pretty dang fast for a cart. When I took it to a mechanic about an oil leak he said that's entirely too many RPMs for that engine. He advised to have them run 17-20 top speed or else youre gonna burn the pistons up. You can make it run 35 or 40 but its not gonna last running that speed.

I was able to find a company out of Vegas that builds a hopped up motor thats like 625cc or something crazy. But its 1500 bucks

Vegas Carts manufactures top quality big block engine conversion, engine swap and engine install kits for EZ-GO, Club Car & Yamaha golf carts. Our products are value engineered and manufactured using the latest technology machinery to assure the highest precision at the lowest possible cost.

Comment

Appreciate the replies. Speaking with several cart owners at the club last night on the lift topic was amusing. Just like with trucks, the younger guys want a lift and bigger tires while the older ones shrug and say not worth doing. I'm with the latter and just want to upgrade my suspension to ride smooth. No desire for additional height.

Anybody painted a plastic cart body? I'm thinking plasti-dip might be an easy color change.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                  Appreciate the replies. Speaking with several cart owners at the club last night on the lift topic was amusing. Just like with trucks, the younger guys want a lift and bigger tires while the older ones shrug and say not worth doing. I'm with the latter and just want to upgrade my suspension to ride smooth. No desire for additional height.

Anybody painted a plastic cart body? I'm thinking plasti-dip might be an easy color change.
                  Why don't you have it wrapped? . .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

I have painted the plastic golf cart bodies and roof panels. Sand smooth, prime/seal, sand smooth again, spray with automotive PPG paint. It is MUCH easier with the body panels off of the cart.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post

These guys are the TBH of golf carts.

Comment

Vegas Carts has a Great Big Block motor kit.
                        I put a 460 in mine. An awesome motor, fast, But mainly huge amount of torque.

Comment

Golf cart gurus

Originally posted by Sharecropper View Post
                          Why don't you have it wrapped? . .

Thinking about that. There is a place not far from me. I’d probably take the body parts to them. No way I’d attempt a wrap on my own. I can’t even wrap a present.

Comment

Thinking about that. There is a place not far from me. I’d probably take the body parts to them. No way I’d attempt a wrap on my own. I can’t even wrap a present.

That's a safe and sensible approach . . I would have saved a lot of money, as well . .

Comment

Ugh. You guys got me spending more time on BGW than I do on TBH. Will have to wait for some nasty cold weather before I start nodding my cart though cause I’m not losing golf time!

Comment

Working...
                              X