Best automatic gate opener?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best automatic gate opener?

I need to put up a gate across a small gravel road that goes back to 20 acres of my property. This will be where I build my house in the near future. I’d like to have an automatic gate opener so that the entrance would stay closed all the time unless I’m coming in or out of my place. This will not be a big fancy decorative type gate. Just a simple pipe/tubing/rebar gate of some type. It won’t be used to hold livestock in, but I need it to be well made/durable.

1.) What is the best brand/style of auto gate opener? Something heavy duty and not easily broken.

2.) Needs to be able to run off a battery/solar charger setup. There will not be any hardwired electrical in this location.

3.) If anyone has any pics of a setup like this that they built/bought, I’d sure like to see them for some ideas on what to do at my place.

Thanks.

in for this one

Comment

Well to ask what is the best opener is like asking what is the best pick-up to buy. I have mighty mules on my place. I actually have three of them and they have lasted pretty good. The main problem I have had was stupid horses and mules pushing on it. You can get them at TSC and all the accessories. Are there "better" ones? That all depends on how much money you are willing to pay for one. Like I said these work great for me. Go look at all the different models that will be suggested and see what works best for your needs. All of mine run on lawn mower batteries and I have extra one so I can just rotate them as needed. I also used locks to mount mine instead of pins for the one on the road.

This is the one I use. I dont buy the kit as I can get solar panels much cheaper at other places.
      Last edited by denimdeerslayer; 03-08-2019, 03:51 PM.

Comment

After much research and many discussions with other people, we decided to spend the extra money and get a US Automatic. We have been happy with it.

Comment

We went with this one and have been very happy. I think you would have to have some concrete though because it had a track on the bottom that the gate rides on as it slides open and closed.

Comment

We've been happy with our mighty mule.

Comment

I appreciate the replies. I’ll take a look at these.

Comment

None of them are as secure as a simple gate with a hardened lock and hardened chain. I have an electric gate at my house but a simple push will break the chain in the opener or you can just unscrew the nuts that hold the arm on it. It keeps honest people and timid thieves out though.

Comment

US Automatic

Comment

Us automatic or Apollo. Both companies here in texas

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                      None of them are as secure as a simple gate with a hardened lock and hardened chain. I have an electric gate at my house but a simple push will break the chain in the opener or you can just unscrew the nuts that hold the arm on it. It keeps honest people and timid thieves out though.
                      I appreciate the reply. I know that if someone really wants in there isn’t much you can do to stop them if you aren’t around. This is small gravel road that turns off at the dead end of a little county road. This gravel road is my property, but for the last 40yrs it’s just been open and anyone could drive down it. However there was never any traffic at all down this dead end road......until a year ago when Enable Gas put in a huge compressor station. Before this time, if even one car drove down this road past my house (I’m the last house on the dead end), it was cause for suspicion and if they didn’t come back by within 2-3 minutes, I was in my truck going up to check out what they were doing. Usually kids just parking to have sex or get high. Now, there is non stop traffic due to the compressor station. I’m just putting up the gate as a simple deterrent to keep people from just being nosy and driving down into my place for no reason. If they really want in, they will get in, but I’ll also have a camera up too for any unsavory visitors.

Comment

Ghost controls off amazon have worked great for me, till the cows are the antenna but they sent me a new one for free!

Comment

Cows ate the antenna! Dang phone!

Comment

Originally posted by Rsp View Post
                            Cows ate the antenna! Dang phone!
                            I liked cows ARE the antenna better. I thought we were headed into the Twilight Zone........

Comment

Working...
                            X