Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Merino base layers, best bang for the $$$?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merino base layers, best bang for the $$$?

First lite
    Icebreaker
    WoolX
    Minus33
    Smartwool
    ??????

Who has the best product for dollars spent?

When I was shopping Icebreakers had the best prices on merino. All of their camo was on clearance after hunting season.

Comment

I was in Banff last week and it was -17F....FirstLite made it seem like the cold wasn't even an issue.

Comment

First lite has a big Black Friday sale every year.
        Prices are reasonable then.

Comment

Is this base layer stuff kind of like the waffle long johns my dad and grandpa used to wear? Sorry I have never really hunted or been in the cold weather but hear a lot of talk on base layers.

Comment

I have some core4 and the quality isn't close to my first lite, kuiu, or cabelas. Very rough material and piled up pretty quickly.
            Last edited by JustinJ; 01-07-2018, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
              Is this base layer stuff kind of like the waffle long johns my dad and grandpa used to wear? Sorry I have never really hunted or been in the cold weather but hear a lot of talk on base layers.
              No this is wool. Great stuff and actually keeps you warm.

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
                No this is wool. Great stuff and actually keeps you warm.
                Same concept but merino wool actually works. Gotcha

I’m gonna do some research and get some cool weather gear. I assume it’s like everything else as you get what you pay for.

Comment

Yes the stuff is pricey and rarely goes on sale. I have used the synthetic material like Capilene and Under Armour but I feel the wool is better, warmer and can be worn many times without smelling bad.

Comment

The only ones I've tried is Firstlite and Core4Element. The Core4 isn't worth the cheap price. Firstlite is awesome and pricey, but holds up extremely well.

Comment

I have cabelas+icebreaker bottoms and tops, love them! I also have icebreaker merino puffy jacket, absolutely amazing. I also have a first lite chugach work shirt (merino) have yet to try it out but looks awesome.

$$ the icebreaker was a but less expensive but better than anything else I've tried before.

I have extra of cabelas and first lite merino gear, pm me if you want any and we can work out a deal for you.

Comment

For the price, without a doubt black ovis brand.

Comfort goes to first lite

All around great buy I’d go with minus 33

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
                          Same concept but merino wool actually works. Gotcha

I’m gonna do some research and get some cool weather gear. I assume it’s like everything else as you get what you pay for.

Generally speaking, yes. Get as high of a percent of Merino wool as you can and ensure that they DO NOT fit snug. Wool should be worn against the skin for maximum efficiency.

Comment

Originally posted by Easttxbowman View Post
                            For the price, without a doubt black ovis brand.

Comfort goes to first lite

All around great buy I’d go with minus 33
                            I have both first lite and black ovis. The black ovis is just about as soft as the first lite, you honestly can’t tell a difference. For just a base layer it’s a no brainer, black ovis all the way.

Comment

Some good info folks...thanx

Comment

Working...
                              X