Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold Weather Clothing Tips

Look forward to others secrets for keeping warm while hunting in the cold

Thought it appropriate to share some cold weather clothing tips. My rank order of items. PM if interested in Furrier's contact info.

1) Trapper Mittens - Great for hunting, fireside, and general use. Raccoon fur inside and out - warm and breaths - hands quietly slip in and out. Length almost to elbows creates warmth and comfort for entire upper body. Adjustable neck strap. My favorite cold weather item and have never had cold hands again.

2) Beaver Trappers Hat - Bring on the cold, Warm and breaths to keep perfect temperature. Options of flaps up or down.

3) Wool socks

4) One piece coverall hunting suit with layers underneath. Prevents cold drafts up the back.

Layers. Synthetic base later wool, then fleece and outer layer. I prefer bib overalls and coat over full coveralls. Wool socks and uninsulated boots. Hat/beanie. Neck gaiter. I prefer thinner gloves. If they are too thick to do anything, I am always pulling them off and that defeats the purpose.

Comment

For a long time I resisted in buying good base layers. Always thought the white waffle cotton thermals would do it. I broke down and bought Under Armor Cold Gear and am never looking back. Badland Convection Bibs and Jacket. I hunt the NY Catskill winters standing on my head. Good wicking base layer is where you start..

Comment

Some good ideas

I have recently started spraying my feet with unscented aerosol antiperspirant and socks that are not to tight in the boot. Also use the Article Shield insulated booties if real cold. Usually use camo jersey gloves while hunting and stick them in a hand warmer pouch with one or two hot hand warmers.

Comment

Hunted this past week and yesterday, lows in the 20's with little wind. I generally get cold, so I'm always on a quest to find the right fit, especially since I plan to hunt Iowa and Alberta at some point.
          I was A-OK in the following items:
          Under Armor 3.0 base layer top and bottom
          Wool blend classic union suit (red like a Grandpa's)--agree with other comment on one piece to prevent cold up your back
          Fleece Sweatpants
          Under armor basic hoodie
          fleece neck gaiter
          Neoprene head cover
          Under Armor beanie (the thicker reversible kind)
          Thick wool sweater, Filson (this IMO is the main thing that warms my core)
          Cabela's wooltimate pants
          sock liner
          wool socks
          1200 gr thinsulate rubber boots
          LL bean technical shell jacket---normally I'd wear the wooltimate top, but needed the MOTS camo jacket for my tree set up-this is also plenty big enough (large-Tall)to go over all the other stuff
          40 gram thinsulate gloves-just wear the left one when bowhunting
          Blaze vest
          2 hand warmer in right pocket for right hand only

I like following posts like this as I always get some new tid-bit of info to beat the cold.

Comment

Pull your boots off and crawl in a sleeping bag. Throw some handwarmers in the bottom of the bag.

Comment

40 with a wind chill in the 30’s sitting in an open air tripod, I had on three layers up top and three on bottom.

Smart layer, pay attention to your hands, feet and head.

I like my first lite stuff but you could get the same affect with other brands and layering effectively.

Comment

dress in layers and stay dry with good base layers,i rode a motorcycle as a police officer and can tell you in the 30's with an 60-70 mph wind makes it real cold if not dressed properly, start off with U/A cold weather base layer socks would be thermax then wool or choice, I would put on britches then shirt a polartec vest and then my windproof jacket neck gaiter polartec skull cap and face shield to leave no skin exposed ,I rode comfortably all day , if I got cold I would put on my goretex insulated pants,

Comment

Sitka bibs and jacket. No issues to -9. My feet are the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by seminole1990 View Post
                    hunted this past week and yesterday, lows in the 20's with little wind. I generally get cold, so i'm always on a quest to find the right fit, especially since i plan to hunt iowa and alberta at some point.
                    I was a-ok in the following items:
                    Under armor 3.0 base layer top and bottom
                    wool blend classic union suit (red like a grandpa's)--agree with other comment on one piece to prevent cold up your back
                    fleece sweatpants
                    under armor basic hoodie
                    fleece neck gaiter
                    neoprene head cover
                    under armor beanie (the thicker reversible kind)
                    thick wool sweater, filson (this imo is the main thing that warms my core)
                    cabela's wooltimate pants
                    sock liner
                    wool socks
                    1200 gr thinsulate rubber boots
                    ll bean technical shell jacket---normally i'd wear the wooltimate top, but needed the mots camo jacket for my tree set up-this is also plenty big enough (large-tall)to go over all the other stuff
                    40 gram thinsulate gloves-just wear the left one when bowhunting
                    blaze vest
                    2 hand warmer in right pocket for right hand only

i like following posts like this as i always get some new tid-bit of info to beat the cold.
                    good list!

Comment

some good ideas here:
                      When it comes to late-season bowhunting, dressing for the weather can be downright difficult.  The trick is to dress warm enough so you can sit on stand comfortably, but not get too bulky where it’s a challenge to draw your bow. As a Minnesota girl, I’m pretty tough when it comes to cold weather. I …

Comment

Originally posted by smokeless View Post
                        Pull your boots off and crawl in a sleeping bag. Throw some handwarmers in the bottom of the bag.

Hot water in a Nalgene bottle works better :-)

Used in Canada and Maine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I hunted this morning and had on the following and I stayed plenty warm in the low 30’s and a decent wind.

Redhead fleece lined base layers top and bottoms
                          Sock liners with 88% merino wool socks
                          Cabela’s Berber fleece pants and hoody
                          Cabela’s wooltimate beanie
                          800gram rubber boots

Comment

Polar King coveralls,Polar King coat,wool socks. I can't ever keep my hands warm. I got frost bite when I was a kid so my hands start to hurt really bad,really fast in the cold so I don't know what the best gloves are.

Comment

My tip: I recommend wearing something.

Comment

Working...
                              X