Drought/Heat Tolerant Clover Mix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drought/Heat Tolerant Clover Mix

I’m looking at planting an acre and a half of some type of clover mix early next spring, and would like to find a decent mix that can handle the dry, hot north Texas summer. I don’t have the ability to plant in the fall, though I know that would better my odds. A neighboring rancher will be grazing the place until the end of December.

I would like to kind of stagger the varieties peak times to extend the use, but am finding myself a little over my head when it comes to clover varieties. A lot of the peak times I can find on different varieties are not growing zone or last frost specific, so I find it hard to translate to local conditions. For reference, the place is in central Fannin County.

I am thinking chicory would be a good drought/heat companion, but would love some guidance on clover varieties. I figure I could do a 2 or 3-way clover blend with some chicory added in.

I hear Durana is good with heat, and Red clover, I am also considering possibly an arrowleaf like “Blackhawk”, and maybe Crimson for early season...

Any recommendations on a 2-way or 3-way blend to cover as far into summer as possible, but not die out completely in the summer heat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might try mixing in some buckwheat and vetch to extend your season or succession plant the buckwheat and vetch a little later than the clovers to extend a little further into the hot season. I'm not sure how it's all gonna work out, I put down red and white clover along with buckwheat and vetch in the fall, then overseeded with clover 3-4 weeks ago and will putting out buckwheat and vetch in about a week. So far the crimson clover and buckwheat seem to be doing best.

Comment

If you can't plant in the fall then I'd say you will not have any decent chance with any clover lasting into the early summer. I had a Durana field for many years and was planted in the fall. The clover would spend the entire fall/winter laying down an extensive root system....then in the spring it literally explodes with top growth.

If its planted in the spring it just doesn't have the time to lay down a good root system.

The Durana never lasted the entire summer but did make it until mid-June one year if I recall right. Its one of the best drought tolerant perennial white clovers out there. Texas is tough on clover in the summer. The good news is that it will come back year after year if you manage it right. The deer loved it .

The Whitetail Institute white clover is good stuff too.

Plant perennials like clover and chicory in the fall if you want a long lasting food plot. Come spring time they have amazing growth.

Comment

Clovers Just ani't much for HOT or DRY in my experience

Comment

Working...
        X